Why become a member? ×

GAK/Gibson EB 5-string/£399

NancyJohnson

Spoke to GAK and they look like they're going to arrange collection of it and rectify the issues or send out a fully checked replacement. Just waiting on confirmation and we'll go from there... I don't see this as a fault of GAKs, but then again these basses do appear to be 4 years old!

Well from the sound of things I got lucky with mine and got a good one - haven't found any of the issues any of you guys have reported.

I'm still really pleased with it having spent a bit more time playing it now too but I'll be putting my preferred strings on it when they arrive (hopefully today) and see if that makes it even better.

17 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Spoke to GAK and they look like they're going to arrange collection of it and rectify the issues or send out a fully checked replacement. Just waiting on confirmation and we'll go from there... I don't see this as a fault of GAKs, but then again these basses do appear to be 4 years old!

I suspected initially that these were old stock, because they're the older design.  But NOS or not, no excuse for them to be wonky.

44 minutes ago, Painy said:

Well from the sound of things I got lucky with mine and got a good one - haven't found any of the issues any of you guys have reported.

Oh I don’t have any actual issues, the wood is a bit rough beside the neck joint (would be surprised if yours isn’t), and the frets aren’t finished well, but otherwise good, and looking forward to gigging it tomorrow. Its looks have grown on me, it’s still unattractive but not actually ugly, just neither one thing or the other, which I think is largely down to the seemingly random pick guard. I would also say that although I am not a fan of tort guards, the tort on this is actually quite good

4 hours ago, Painy said:

I'm still really pleased with it having spent a bit more time playing it now too but I'll be putting my preferred strings on it when they arrive (hopefully today) and see if that makes it even better.

I suspect it is more a case of me being unlucky. Though I'm not overly surprised of the neck distortion if it has indeed sat in a case for 4 years!

4 hours ago, Tonteee said:

I suspected initially that these were old stock, because they're the older design.

Yeah, definitely the 2013 model. The 2014 had the jack on the side rather than front...... I was tempted, but I prefer the looks of the 2017 EB model, with the "Tobias" body shape. If it had been a 2017 5 stringer for £399, I'd have bought 2! ;) Wonder where this stock came from. A pile of them got lost in the factory, to be discovered 4 years later.... Strange.

So took it to a gig last night, quite a busy hectic one. Took a backup just in case, as the string spacing is not my favourite and I was concerned about whether the slight head heaviness was a problem on a strap. And it was wired by gibson, so just in case it stopped working!

The guitarist thought it looked great, which is odd, first person I have had make that comment, and also commented how good it sounded. It did sound good live, it had real depth to it and a growl similar to a thunderbird, which I suppose should be of little surprise. 

I fluffed a few notes due to the spacing, but not as many as trying to rescue my mic stand from drunk people knocking it, so the bass did pretty well. It also has a very sturdy, and frankly, sharp headstock :) The sounds on tap from the back to the front pickup are quite wide, and worth exploring (I miss the volume / balance of most of my basses, but that is always gibsons way), coil taps not as noticable as I expected when at gig volume. 

Only downside was considering it had sat in a case for 4 years not doing anything and I hadn't replaced the strings, at the end of the gig my fingers were black :/ Think I need some new strings on that. But not tonight, I have another gig tonight, and I think it will be coming with me again.

You know, yeh, its ugly, yeh its a bit rough round the edges, but I think I rather like it! :D

• Like 1