Why become a member? ×

Yet More Band Name Woes

Skybone

It looks like we now have a singer on board, and the last couple of practices have gone seriously well.

However, that age old problem is looming it's head... choosing a band name.

We've been back & forth, around the houses, off on tangents, and the only thing that we can agree on is names we don't like. There have been numerous rude & very tongue in cheek names suggested, some innocent suggestions that some of the rest of the band found highly amusing due to their innuendo factor (and embarrassment when the mirth was explained).

But the age old problem is still sat there, waiting to be resolved... very frustrating.

Maybe, but it does help to have something memorable and that sounds good. I love an Irish band called The Touts, it makes them very hard to find for all sorts of things and I can’t even search for them at work as for some reason tout is a banned term. And if cannibal corpse had been a boy band aimed at 12 year old girls I fear they may have struggled a bit. Like it or not people make assumptions based on the name which makes it important.

i don't think there is any formula beyond keeping it shortish, you just have to keep at it. It took us ages and the name we finished with was almost a ‘no one hates it’  solution but it’s short and works well I think.

Edited by T-Bay

Using Off Topic title threads is a great idea. I'd love to play in a band that was called any of these...

The Post-Gig Kebabs

Completely Random Stinky Poo

The Missed GP Appointments

Norwich Hates Christmas (a bit like Johnny Hates Jazz but different)

That's just from the first page! An embarrassment of riches.

THis IS hard.

I havent chosen any of the names I have been billed under recently. All came from various other people, but last night's took the biscuit.

Skivin' Ivan and the Slackers. Turned up at the gig and there it was outside - first I knew about it. 

Blaming our drummer for that one.  :biggrin:

Unless you are an originals band intent on global mega-stardom it probably doesn't really matter. 

However in the interests of practicality you should pick one that:

1. Isn't being used by a currently active band (or at least not one in the same country as you).

2. Will allow your band to be easily found on social media and other internet searches.

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Unless you are an originals band intent on global mega-stardom it probably doesn't really matter. 

1. Isn't being used by a currently active band (or at least not one in the same country as you).

2. Will allow your band to be easily found on social media and other internet searches.

That's a good point, one time we thought we had a great name until we found some band that were REALLY big in the 90's had the same name. when we set up our website we had a load of enquiries from old fans thinking band had reformed...they were SO disappointed!!!

33 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

this and try for a not too complicated name, people have got to remember it when you say check us out on Facebook, I'd avoid stupid spellings as well for this reason

What sort of music? Classic-ish / Heavy-ish Rock, all original songs.

I know, there's loads of suggestions out there, but it's more a case of everyone agreeing on one that suits the band (all but the drummer are over 40, and he's not far off), and suits the music. It's frustrating.

Back to the drawing board I suppose.

It doesn't matter as long as there's an umlaut. My lot are The Expändables

The umlaut means we're the only band of that name spelled that way. It also means you can pronounce it 'expandable' (in relation to our waistlines) or 'expendable'(because not all 7 members can make every gig)

Could also have æ in there, to be fair...