Why become a member? ×

Markbass Combo 121 Lite Alain Caron

rmcki

I have a question i hope someone can answer, i've just bought a new Markbass Combo 121 Lite and i'm surprised at NO hiss coming from the tweeter. If fact i'm not sure i can hear anything coming from the tweeter.

I have a CMD 121H which has an obvious hiss, so i suspected this amp would have some. So the question is to anyone out there with this amp, is there any hiss from the tweeter?

Edited by rmcki

Hi - well on mine (which is the earlier 100W tweeter version rather than the current 300W tweeter version). If I switch it on, with nothing plugged in, I can hear the fan and a clear hiss from the tweeter. Neither of which (I guess as expected!) are impacted by dialling the volume and EQ right down. The cab is pretty much the 121H on this model so what I'm getting is in line with your 121H.

I think @molan also has one, but I suspect it may be the earlier version too.

Hope that helps.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hi - well on mine (which is the earlier 100W tweeter version rather than the current 300W tweeter version). If I switch it on, with nothing plugged in, I can hear the fan and a clear hiss from the tweeter. Neither of which (I guess as expected!) are impacted by dialling the volume and EQ right down. The cab is pretty much the 121H on this model so what I'm getting is in line with your 121H.

I think @molan also has one, but I suspect it may be the earlier version too.

Hope that helps.

With the same setting as you (vol, eq =0), i can hear no hiss just the fan. Damn.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Do you get any tweeter hiss when the vol and eq are set at max? 

In my case the tweeter hiss is still there and unchanged at max vol and EQ

Nothing even at max vol, i can hear the 12" but not the tweeter

• 2 weeks later...

The Combo did indeed have a faulty tweeter, repair was going to take too long so Mark at Bass Direct has sent me a brand unit, arrived yesterday. Bass Direct guys were really fair and easy to deal with, really quick email response.

Love the amp!

Thanks all for your help.

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Excellent!

So I think there are like five BCers who have these, the three of us on this thread plus @molan and @jazzbass although he's just in the process of moving his on...

Enjoy the amp!

You sticking with yours? Have to say, having gone back to Markbass 26th of Sept, I'm happier with my live sound now than I have been for a few years. I'm 19 gigs in too, so honeymoon period is over too! 

5 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Have to say, having gone back to Markbass 26th of Sept, I'm happier with my live sound now than I have been for a few years. I'm 19 gigs in too, so honeymoon period is over too! 

I'm using the new Caron K1 combo.  Did think about selling it as I would prefer the same rig as separates (Ninja head and TRV123 cab), but damn it's just too good to let go!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, walbassist said:

I'm using the new Caron K1 combo.  Did think about selling it as I would prefer the same rig as separates (Ninja head and TRV123 cab), but damn it's just too good to let go!

😀 your rig looks fantastic. 

I'm using the Ninja setup. It is great. Apparently there's a new Ninja product being launched in the new year... 

21 minutes ago, walbassist said:

21 minutes ago, walbassist said:

What, this one?  Yes, it is amazingly good.

Yes! Looks smart. My Ninja is 'only' running at 600w, but it's incredibly powerful. I posted when I got it, I barely touch the EQ, it just works so well. We do 50s pop through to current and it's great for it all. I think if you have a good instrument, which you like, then MB stuff is a great way too amplify it and get a tone you'll enjoy. For me, it's been one less thing to tweak and micro manage, because out of the box it's just done what I need! 

Edited by M@23

4 hours ago, M@23 said:

You sticking with yours? Have to say, having gone back to Markbass 26th of Sept, I'm happier with my live sound now than I have been for a few years. I'm 19 gigs in too, so honeymoon period is over too! 

Well having so nearly bought your Glock Blue Sky off you (not doing so is probably one of couple of 2017 bass regrets for me) I did end up getting a really good separates rig (VK210 cab and DG M900 head) which it is undoubtedly more powerful / more articulate etc than my little Markbass 500W AC 121 Lite combo, but equally at 80% more expensive comparing new prices (I actually got both the VK and the DG off this forum in the FS) you'd kinda hope / expect it to be better right?!

But I couldn't bring myself to move my Markbass on! It's just so convenient - grab and go! And in the context of a pub gig, frankly no one is going to notice the 10% to 15% improvement in sound quality that the separates rig would deliver - so I'll probably keep the 'posher' gear for the posher function do's we've got lined up and continue to use my excellent little Markbass combo for East London pub gigs for a while yet :) 

Edited by Al Krow

On 21/12/2017 at 19:58, M@23 said:

😀 your rig looks fantastic. 

I'm using the Ninja setup. It is great. Apparently there's a new Ninja product being launched in the new year... 

Yes, it'll be a 500w version of the 1000w head...  Its the same head as in the new 102-500 combo