Why become a member? ×

NBD Chowny SWB1 PRO

Kevan

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is mainly about the SWB Pro but has anyone else got the SWB-1 standard passive model?  I'm not sure if the tone control on my guitar is working correctly.  To my ears it makes no difference to the sound if I have the tone rolled off or fully on.  There is a slight change in tone when I move the knob from zero to less than a quarter turn.  I really need to listen closely to notice the change and I cannot decide if I'm putting treble on or bass!  For the remainder of the turn, until full on, I cannot hear any change in tone.  I may have received a duff model but would appreciate other users, views.

there is a big difference in tone between having the tone pot fully open or fully closed on my SWB's,  perhaps newer strings will make it more noticeable for you?  That being said the standard pots on the SWB are not the most precise imo. Putting in a different more precise tone pot would ofcourse solve this problem. It's a  cheap and easy fix if it bothers you.

Passive tone controls have a very limited effect, little more than rolling off the treble. They are also thoroughly non-linear, i.e. turning the knob through 50% of its travel may have 100% effect or it may have Nil effect ... I've had plenty that were virtually on/off switches. And sometimes, especially on cheaper basses, they may have no effect at all due to the quality of the components used. 9_9

My solution is simple. I hardly ever touch the tone knob on a passive bass. :D

Just received my second Pro two days ago .This time in Aqua burst. Great fretwork on this one! Same goes for the lacquer, not a flaw.I didn't do a full setup since the bass had been in pretty cold weather for a few days. Only changed the strings to a set of Fender Shortscale's as an experiment. Not bad! Practised some Proto Cosmos on it yesterday. Really punchy bass this one!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 08/12/2017 at 08:10, Chownybass said:

On the active passive front - we are strongly considering for 2018 to do away with the "Active" and "Passive" split and just have one option. And that'll be "Active" but with a Push-Pull Volume pot that switches between active and passive.

any movement on this? still seem to be one or the other for sale. be great to have best of both in one package

• 8 months later...