Why become a member? ×

NBD Chowny SWB1 PRO

Kevan

Yes it is indeed a 30” scale. It plays really well with a fast neck. Action could and will be a bit lower but that is by no means a criticism , just personal taste. 

The sound is really punchy and the emg’s and active circuit give it a wide range of sounds ?

Mine is on it's way right now, making it's way across the pond. Really looking forward to my 4th SWB :) I have actually sold all my normal scale basses a few years back and only play the SWB's now, live and in the studio (really versatile little basses, I have played everything from bebop to rock with them....). The PRO will be a nice addition to the collection. To be honest my favorite SWB is still my passive blue one, but I think the PRO might become my new favorite. That thing just looks so nice!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badastronaut said:

Mine is on it's way right now, making it's way across the pond. Really looking forward to my 4th SWB :) I have actually sold all my normal scale basses a few years back and only play the SWB's now, live and in the studio (really versatile little basses, I have played everything from bebop to rock with them....). The PRO will be a nice addition to the collection. To be honest my favorite SWB is still my passive blue one, but I think the PRO might become my new favorite. That thing just looks so nice!

On the active passive front - we are strongly considering for 2018 to do away with the "Active" and "Passive" split and just have one option. And that'll be "Active" but with a Push-Pull Volume pot that switches between active and passive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, badastronaut said:

Good idea.  IMO the SWB's really are a great step forward for affordable shortscale basses and with every upgrade it get's even better, I just might have to order a new version in 2018 now haha :facepalm:

Hope your bass gets there soon. Don't be shy with your opinions when it's in your hands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I have been playing this bass a lot the last few weeks and yes it really is good! I used the bass on a few gigs and in the studio and it's just an amazing versatile bass with a really big sound.  I gave the body a really slight oil finish (well actually dr. Ducks axe wax) which brings out the grain in the wood even more, beautifull! I did have to get the edges of some of the frets dressed though, they were a bit sharp, but that's what you can get when a bass has been made in a nice warm climate and then is transferd to the cold Netherlands. That being said I can truly say that these basses  are really really well made and are definately worth the money! Love it! 

Edited by badastronaut
  • Thanks 1

A new year and a new bass guitar!  My Chowny SWB-1 finally arrived today (4thJanuary) after my order in August.  It is the standard, passive model in Ash.  It's going to take some getting used to as it is way heavier than my Tanglewood, Hofner Violin bass copy and the strings are set wider apart.  It was a fight to get the strap on as the studs to hold the strap are much bigger than those on the Tanglewood!  I may need to get a new strap!  It came with roundwound strings but I prefer flatwounds so I've been all over the internet to track down some GHS medium scale strings (Scott Whitley suggests medium scale and not short scale).  It looks to be a well made instrument and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it after my holiday later this month.

P1010586.JPG

3 hours ago, LeftyP said:

A new year and a new bass guitar!  My Chowny SWB-1 finally arrived today (4thJanuary) after my order in August.  It is the standard, passive model in Ash.  It's going to take some getting used to as it is way heavier than my Tanglewood, Hofner Violin bass copy and the strings are set wider apart.  It was a fight to get the strap on as the studs to hold the strap are much bigger than those on the Tanglewood!  I may need to get a new strap!  It came with roundwound strings but I prefer flatwounds so I've been all over the internet to track down some GHS medium scale strings (Scott Whitley suggests medium scale and not short scale).  It looks to be a well made instrument and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it after my holiday later this month.

P1010586.JPG

Nice! Definately get the medium scale! Shortscale GHS are just a bit too short, I know that from experience ;)

On 04/01/2018 at 22:41, LeftyP said:

It's just occurred to me that I will need a padded Gig Bag for my new best friend.  Does anyone know of a good bag to use with the shorter scale base?

Guitar bags?

Someone laughed at my comment, but a friend of mine has an Alembic Stanley Clarke and uses a guitar gig bag :).

Edited by ambient
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, badastronaut said:

Made simple video last night with the PRO and man does that bass  play nice! incredible low action without buzz......

Man, this is a mean tune! Great playing & tone brother. Having a go myself now... 

• Thanks 1