Why become a member? ×

Which 4x10 cab

artisan

I'm currently running an Ashdown CTM100 head through my Barefaced Big Baby 2 & have to say I'm pretty pleased with the result.

However I'm looking for a bit more volume plus a nice warm vintage tone.

The Barefaced 410 is the obvious choice but they're rather pricey so I'm looking around for a suitable cab that will give me a great sound without weighing a ton & also not too massive.

Budget up to £600 

Any recommendations 

Cheers 

My initial thoughts were the ABM410, but it can be a bit weighty - great cab though. The Fender Rumble 410 is a nice sounding cab, and quite light/portable. Lastly, and a shameless plug here, I`m selling an Ashdown RM 414 (a 4ohm 410) that has had the cones swapped to Eminence Betas by Ashdown, it`s now rated at 1000 watts at 4ohms. Nice and light, comes with a Roqsolid cover and go-faster wheels, advertised on here at present for £295.

• Like 1

A second-hand Barefaced 410? I've certainly seen at least on in the marketplace... Whether it would come in on budget or not though? 

Is it the cab that is limiting your volume or the amp itself? Is it only 100 watts?

Edited by Conan

This is what I would be lusting for in the 4x10 space! Handles 1200W AES and is same weight as the BF. Would need to be in used territory to get within budget, although there was one in the FS just a few weeks ago (which got snapped up) listed at £700.

I have the 210. It's a great cab and I would say VK are a little 'warmer' than BF in sound which could also fit in with what you're looking for?

555be5cdc4.jpg

• Like 1

Id go with Lozz's Ashdown 410.  Im not a fan of Barefaced (never tried their 410 however) for the 'warm vintage' tone, I find the ones ive tried (a single 12" effort a few years ago, a 2x12 one around a year ago and more recently their 2x10 horizontal effort) always seem to have a nasally/honkey mid and an ice picky treble.

I always find my Ampeg 410he provides bags of warmth and vintage thump with my v4BH 100w valve amp

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Conan said:

A second-hand Barefaced 410? I've certainly seen at least on in the marketplace... Whether it would come in on budget or not though? 

Is it the cab that is limiting your volume or the amp itself? Is it only 100 watts?

Lol

My 100watt valve amp is just as loud as my,now departed  GK MB800 FUSION.

Cheers 

I often run a Barefaced 410 with a 100 watt Ampeg V4B. This cab loves tube valve amps and tonally it  is a match made in heaven. Certainly well worth the search if you can find a second hand one. Alternatively you could remind Alex that it is the festive season and a time of good will to all......:biggrin:

Edited by Tim1
Spelling
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Al Krow said:

How important would you say it is to have a decent (controllable crossover) tweeter in a 4x10?

As someone who doesn't like tweeters for bass, I'd say not at all important. But then, that's just my preference. Which brings me to the original question. Our tastes vary widely and what suits us may well not suit you. Good though they are, Barefaced (seemingly a universal recommendation on here - I wonder how many of those who sing their praises actually own/use them) and similar more modern flavoured cabs are relatively unlikely to satisfy your desire for "warm vintage tone". However, something like an old SVT 4x10, which will do that job well, is a pig to move around by comparison. So don't listen to us. Visit a few shops, go to a few shows and try some stuff out.

• Like 1

that's my plan :D

the Fender rumble 410 seems to get lots of praise so will check that out,i want a nice vintage sound without the weight as i have arthritis on my old knees (yes i just got my 1st ever valve amp - silly old git :crazy:)

my BB2 is a wonderful cab but a modern sounding cab & it's also not wide enough to sit my CTM100 on

I use an old Peavey 4x10 at a rehearsal room locally. It weighs a ton, but does "warm vintage" very well. You can pick them up cheaply. However, I wouldn't like to have to schlep one around. If you want light, new and vintage sounding, the Aguilar 4x10 is nice (I tried one when I bought my AG700), but around double your budget.

I have one of the older Epifani 3x10s, which can do vintage if you turn off the tweeter. That or one of their 4x10s, if you can find one secondhand, would be a good choice, imho.

Edited by Dan Dare

If the BF Four10 is out of your price range (personally I'd be saving up the difference) and you really want a 410 so you're having to look at an "regular" 410. . . . how about checking out a BF Two10. IME the point of Alex's cabs is that they all punch way above their weight, so a BF Two10 should be able to take on a "regular" 410.

Maybe save up for the other 210 later, if you need it, which you might find you don't.

6 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

As someone who doesn't like tweeters for bass, I'd say not at all important. But then, that's just my preference. Which brings me to the original question. Our tastes vary widely and what suits us may well not suit you. Good though they are, Barefaced (seemingly a universal recommendation on here - I wonder how many of those who sing their praises actually own/use them) and similar more modern flavoured cabs are relatively unlikely to satisfy your desire for "warm vintage tone". However, something like an old SVT 4x10, which will do that job well, is a pig to move around by comparison. So don't listen to us. Visit a few shops, go to a few shows and try some stuff out.

You seem to be under the misconception that all Barefaced cabs sound the same! The whole concept behind our 10" cabs is that they have a more coloured and less accurate tone, you could say warmer and fatter sounding. They're certainly not "modern" or "hi-fi". That's why in terms of both tone and output our Two10 is a very good replacement for the SVT 410HE.