Why become a member? ×

I'm A Man

It blows my mind that Stevie Winwood was only 15 or 16 when he recorded the vocals on this and  "Gimme Some Lovin'".  These were jam tunes that were always played when getting together with other musicians when I was 15 or 16 back in the late 60's.  Still great after all these years.

4 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

At the risk of being controversial, you say your first run through sounded brilliant, so why would you want to change it to make a more slavishly accurate copy? Part of what may have made it sound so great was you as a band feeling it and enjoying it. I'd stick with your own take on it.

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

+1

Muff Windwood had one of the worst bass sounds of all time and he wasn't half the bass player many are here. Make this line your own.  

Oh, no need to worry there.  I make most bass lines my own - the more difficult the original, the more I make it my own!

Seriously, though, I'm not really into copying stuff note for note - as a band we definitely put our own stamp on stuff, so I tend to start with something more or less based on the original but adapt it to what feels right as we get used to the song.

In this case I think the B D E seems instinctively right (certainly safe), but I was interested to find out whether anyone else was hearing the C or if it's just my dodgy hearing.

On 07/12/2017 at 08:30, Mykesbass said:

At the risk of being controversial, you say your first run through sounded brilliant, so why would you want to change it to make a more slavishly accurate copy? Part of what may have made it sound so great was you as a band feeling it and enjoying it. I'd stick with your own take on it.

This.

17 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I always thought Chicago was more of a pop band. How wrong could i have been. They sound pretty good. Think some youtubing is required. 

Every days a school day on BassChat

Dave

Check out the albums CTA, Chicago II, Chicago V and Chicago VI for starters mate. Fantastic rock/jazz/pop crossovers.... killer grooves, rocking guitar, legendary horn section and 3 lead singers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I always thought Chicago was more of a pop band. How wrong could i have been. 

Yes, after their first five or six albums they did become more "poppy". Here is the very first track from their very first album...."Chicago Transit Authority".  As far away as it's possible to get, from songs like "If you leave me now"

Edited by Coilte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1