Why become a member? ×

The Perfect Precision Bass

TorVic

18 hours ago, TorVic said:

How to Find the Perfect Precision Bass

"There is just something about the original Fender Precision bass. Whether you are looking for an original model with vintage mojo – or a newer model – here are some tips, as you head out to find the one"

http://www.bass-pedals.com/how-to-find-the-perfect-precision-bass/ 

Thanks for posting that link TorVic
I enjoyed reading that :)

• Like 1

I had one close to perfection. A MIM Classic 50's P to wich i added a Deluxe humbucker and wired it with independent, stacked Vol/tone with the resistors to prevent cross-talk. was light, pretty (tobacco burst, maple fretboard with gold scratchplate), sounded awesome but it was only a 4-string so still not perfect.

The nearest to all-round perfect I had was a 1995 USA P, which sounded great, even across the neck, good action and strung thru the body. (its the one on the left in my avatar)

However, it weighed a lot and had a really big thick neck - it benefited the sound, but made it hard work to play for long periods. 

I now only have one P - the sunburst/tort/rosewood 1970 with a B width neck which i bought over 20 years ago. (on the right of my avatar)

It's not quite as consistent as the more modern one, and a bit gentler sounding, but it makes up for it by being lightweight and full of mojo.

Edited by bassbiscuits

P1020310.thumb.JPG.b9e02de1f87b229ef2498e8e7c8d3d3a.JPG

Good article, I do think the late 70's basses are wrongly critisised, my 79 is a great bass, Olly white with a black scratchplate, the article is true though you do need to hunt for a decent one.

Above is the latest edition to the family, a Custom Shop 63 which is bloody lovely and has to be about the perfect Precision bass

• Like 1

I have long since come to the conclusion that everything I need or want in a bass is in the Precision. But that doesn't mean that every P-bass will hit the spot - it just has to do that Precision thing...

*Except for titchiness, which is why I also have a Mustang

Cheers for the link! Note that not all pre-CBS  have 'L'  prefixes for the serial though.

I've finally found my perfect P after owning six. For me the important attributes are (in order):

1. Neck/fretboard playability (tricky to amend if not right 'out of the box')

2. Frets (can be dressed if needed)

3. Weight (may be more important if you have long gigs, shoulder/back issues)

4. Electronics (can be swapped out)

5. Look (probably higher, who am I kidding :))

6. Resaleability (allows you to 'buy blind')

In short, try as many as you can. If buying blind, then buying from basschat means it's unlikely to be a dog and you can resell here if it's not your cup of tea.