Dear guest,

Welcome to the biggest community for bass players in Europe. You'll find the site a great source of information and advice.

Why not sign up now and:

• Say hello - tell us about your playing, your gear and where you're from.
  • Search the database for inspiration or to find out more about your instrument
  • Upload an avatar and profile picture
  • Buy one of the thousands of items in our marketplace
  • Safely sell your items to a community of proven enthusiasts
  • Upload pictures, audio and videos
  • Buy exclusive items at discount through our shop (coming soon!)

Go on, click the button and become part of it today!

TorVic

The Perfect Precision Bass

18 hours ago, TorVic said:

How to Find the Perfect Precision Bass

"There is just something about the original Fender Precision bass. Whether you are looking for an original model with vintage mojo – or a newer model – here are some tips, as you head out to find the one"

http://www.bass-pedals.com/how-to-find-the-perfect-precision-bass/ 

Thanks for posting that link TorVic
I enjoyed reading that :)

• Like 1

I had one close to perfection. A MIM Classic 50's P to wich i added a Deluxe humbucker and wired it with independent, stacked Vol/tone with the resistors to prevent cross-talk. was light, pretty (tobacco burst, maple fretboard with gold scratchplate), sounded awesome but it was only a 4-string so still not perfect.

Enjoyed the link - thank you.

I am a man of simple pleasures, like PawelG a JV does it for me.  I have never tried a pre-CBS one, mind you!

Edited by Paul S
spilleng.
  • Like 1

The nearest to all-round perfect I had was a 1995 USA P, which sounded great, even across the neck, good action and strung thru the body. (its the one on the left in my avatar)

However, it weighed a lot and had a really big thick neck - it benefited the sound, but made it hard work to play for long periods. 

I now only have one P - the sunburst/tort/rosewood 1970 with a B width neck which i bought over 20 years ago. (on the right of my avatar)

It's not quite as consistent as the more modern one, and a bit gentler sounding, but it makes up for it by being lightweight and full of mojo.

Edited by bassbiscuits

P1020310.thumb.JPG.b9e02de1f87b229ef2498e8e7c8d3d3a.JPG

Good article, I do think the late 70's basses are wrongly critisised, my 79 is a great bass, Olly white with a black scratchplate, the article is true though you do need to hunt for a decent one.

Above is the latest edition to the family, a Custom Shop 63 which is bloody lovely and has to be about the perfect Precision bass

• Like 1

I have long since come to the conclusion that everything I need or want in a bass is in the Precision. But that doesn't mean that every P-bass will hit the spot - it just has to do that Precision thing...

*Except for titchiness, which is why I also have a Mustang

I have the aerodyne classic precision bass serched hi and low and found one, but i can't get on with it, much prefer the musicman stingray for the playability side of things ,i must admit it looks fantastic 

IMG_20171125_180032_193.jpg

Cheers for the link! Note that not all pre-CBS  have 'L'  prefixes for the serial though.

I've finally found my perfect P after owning six. For me the important attributes are (in order):

1. Neck/fretboard playability (tricky to amend if not right 'out of the box')

2. Frets (can be dressed if needed)

3. Weight (may be more important if you have long gigs, shoulder/back issues)

4. Electronics (can be swapped out)

5. Look (probably higher, who am I kidding :))

6. Resaleability (allows you to 'buy blind')

In short, try as many as you can. If buying blind, then buying from basschat means it's unlikely to be a dog and you can resell here if it's not your cup of tea.

Kevsy is right.  I cant remember when the L series came in - I thought it was in the seventies - but certainly my 62 didn't have an L. Wish I had a note of the serial number, as it was stolen twice in the 1960s and never surfaced again after the last theft.

For me the US 2012 - 2016 Series are the best. I`ve got three, offloading one as don`t even need two really.

23 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I'e got 4 post 2012 US Standards and a recent Classic 50s. They're all perfect!

Here's one of mine Fender MIJ crafted in  2000.

It's been dropped a million times but it's still perfect.

Blue

Blue

IMG_20161012_154327.jpg

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By phil147
      The time has come to sell what I thought I'd be holding onto for a fair while yet.

I have for sale my American-Made 1987 '62 Reissue Precision Bass.

I've owned him since 2012 when I traded him with 7enderhead for a Ric. 

Forgive me copying across the details about him from the original Ad but it says everything that needs to be said about him.

"The serial number is V023852, and the neck date is '1-6-87'.
      The white Nitro finish has aged into what in German would be called 'horse tooth yellow'. This nice colour is somewhat hard to photograph, but the picture gallery should give you an idea since it contains photos taken under different lighting conditions.
      Also included is an 'ashtray' pickup cover and the slightly battered (only on the outside) but fully functional (even the key works on the locks) tweed case.
      The bass has some minor issues, all concerning the finish, the biggest of which is to be found at the back of the headstock where the previous owner (or one of them damned music stores from the Eighties) obviously put a sticker which ate into the finish.
      The only reason I would want to let go of this instrument is that the neck measures 44 millimeters at the nut (so it's 'wide but shallow'), and - sporting very small hands - I find the change from my other basses somewhat disorienting."

The bass no-longer has the East pre-amp as it installed in another bass but is otherwise as I received it. Never gigged by myself and kept in the case when not in use.
      These basses don't come up very often from what I can tell and I can see why. I'm only selling due to necessity otherwise I'd keep him until we grew old together (both being born in the same month of the same year)

Please feel free to message me with any questions or (Very near) offers.

Phil.

• By SimonLevee
      Hi folks this started life as an s1, but has been upgraded with dimarzio model p pickups and solderless wiring loom, one battle scar on the rear (pictured) and a few rusty screws but a really great player and will be sorely missed, hard times!

• By HazBeen
      I need to free up space so up for grabs is my 2009 Sandberg VM5 (1st generation). I just never seem to use it over my Bogarts and it is too good an instrument to not be used.
      The bass is one of the earlier models with Delano pickups. Later Sandberg starting shipping them with their own brand of pups.
      5 string
      34" scale
      Weight is medium, not overly heavy nor light (probably around 10 lbs) - I can do the scales thing if required
      Black Alder body
      Rosewood fingerboard
      Maple neck
      Delano Precision /MM configuration
      Glockenklang Pre
      Hardware originally silver (some black hardware currently installed)

The bass has quite a lot of mojo and it clearly has been used in 8 years, dings, dongs, scrapes, scratches all the things you would expect to see from a working instrument. It sounds really good and cuts through the mix like butter.
      Neck is somewhat of a halfway house between a P and J 5 string neck. Not overly slim, but no bat territory either.
      The bridge was changed  at some stage (previous owner) to the newer version, which in essence still is an A style model. I acquired some black tuners and strap buttons that I think look really good, you would need to buy a black string retainer, knobs and bridge (GBP85-90 new in total) if you want to complete the transformation. I will include both the original and black hardware.
      Structurally the bass is sound, really no issues at all with neck, joints, fretboard, hardware or frets so it will deliver for ages before needing any further TLC.
      I should probably price this a little higher, but I would like to find it a new home and want to facilitate the transition to all black hardware a little too... it would look great. Price included shipping within Europe with neck detached. No case or bag.
      I would consider a (part)trade potentially. Trade value is £825.
      So what would I trade against? Potentially a quality 6x10 or 8x10, Mesa non D class amps, high quality pre/DI, full tube amps, Bogarts or other graphite necked basses, a Kitara, Moog stuff.
      https://imgur.com/gallery/AGGgP
    • By Derek1071
      Limelight P for sale - reliced, fiesta red, tort pick guard. I bought this from MattM a few months ago, but unfortunately I think I'm too used to J basses and can't get on with the chunkiness of the neck profile. Lovely looking bass though, and sounds fantastic too. 
      Alder body, slab rosewood board, clay dots, rolled fingerboard edges, reverse tuners, late 60s/early 70s logo. Hand wound pickup with CTS pots, switchcraft jack. Nut width just  under 40mm, weight approx 9lbs.
      Comes with decent quality gig bag - price is £725. Would much prefer local collection or meet up in the Scottish central belt, but will consider (UK only) shipping.
      Also will consider trades - ultimately I'm after a p sound with a jazz-type neck (like a lot of people!), so feel free to try me.

• By MarkusWarwick
      NOW £1225
      Very rare, heres what Warwick said about em...
      "From these instruments were made ca. 50 pieces. The body is Maple, Etimoe and Ovangkol, neck Ovangkol, fingerboard Wenge.. The outline looks like a Warwick Corvette and the body shaping is more of a bellied shape on the top. … yes, the bass was produced March 2001 and it´s one from the ca. 50 pieces were made from this special production. This series has no special name."
      "These basses do not belong to an official LTD run, but as you mention they are often reffered to as Streamettes. Originally they were NT built Streamer basses and the necks were cutoff and we made an unofficial LTD run out of them. These are, so far, the only contoured Corvettes you will ever find."

Will ship in a basic hardcase to UK Via 24hr courier. Will be packed to guard from tanks. Haha

What more could i say about it? 
      Apart from fingermark above neck pickup its pretty mint. No issues. Feast your eyes.......