Jimryan

Dingwall help...  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which bass should I go for?

• Dingwall NG-2 5 Ferrari Green
    • Dingwall AB1 5/3
    • Ignore Dingwall and wait for a 1988 Stingray

Evening all,

Once Christmas is out of the way, my 30th will come along quite swiftly and I've decided to treat myself to a new bass.  As happy as I am with my bitsa basses, I've decided I want to invest in something a little more professional.

In an ideal world, I'd find a great secondhand 1988 Stingray, but I'm not going to hold out for one.  

For years I've fancied a Dingwall, they feel great, look the part and sound awesome.  The only problem is I can't decide on which model.  Well, I can't decide between a choice of two.  The only things I am certain on is I'm after a fiver and an active model.  Budget wise I'm looking at spending £1500-2500.

Now, I absolutely love the look of the NG-2 in ferrari green.  However, Whilst browsing the bass direct website I spotted a used Afterburner 1 5/3 with an active circuit.  Had I not seen that, it'd be the NG-2  all the way, but now I'm torn.  

I've tried (and loved) both a standard combustion and an Afterburner 1, so I know I'm happy with the playability and sound of both.  The NG-2 has the price bonus, the AB1 5/3 has the versatility and more reserved look.  

I love both, I cannot afford both, help.  I've YouTubed plenty of videos and reviews, I've tried variants of both but I just can't put my finger on which one I prefer.

Any help greatly appreciated... 

Cheers 

James 

P.S. Can nobody buy the AB1 until I've made my mind up please.

Edited by Jimryan

Whilst I do absolutely love the NG2, I would be going for the 3 pickup AB1 for a bit of flexibility and because if you are spending the money, why not have a fully fledged Canadian made Dingwall.

However, a good 80s Stingray is always a good buy and that era tend to have some stunning flamed and Birdseye necks.

The AB1 is a very cool instrument. 

13 minutes ago, NJE said:

Whilst I do absolutely love the NG2, I would be going for the 3 pickup AB1 for a bit of flexibility and because if you are spending the money, why not have a fully fledged Canadian made Dingwall.

However, a good 80s Stingray is always a good buy and that era tend to have some stunning flamed and Birdseye necks.

The AB1 is a very cool instrument. 

I have an AB1 and a Combustion. They both certainly have their plus points as you mention. I actually went for the non-Nolly version Combustion as I prefer a more 'jazz' tone I suppose. The neck profiles are a little different on each, so that might sway you - as is also the fretboard radius. Everything else is great at each price point and even if it wasn't, pickups and preamps can be swapped out for other Dingwall hardware. You won't be upset with either, but the AB1 really is a great, great piece of kit! :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm a little confused as to why you would want an '88 'Ray as an alternative? Do you mean an SR5, given that the other two are five string options? Early years for 5 string 'Rays if that's what you mean and I don't think there are that many about.

That's listed as an alternative as it'll be a YOB bass and I've always had it in mind that I'd like a stingray that's as old as I am.  

24 minutes ago, dood said:

I have an AB1 and a Combustion. They both certainly have their plus points as you mention. I actually went for the non-Nolly version Combustion as I prefer a more 'jazz' tone I suppose. The neck profiles are a little different on each, so that might sway you - as is also the fretboard radius. Everything else is great at each price point and even if it wasn't, pickups and preamps can be swapped out for other Dingwall hardware. You won't be upset with either, but the AB1 really is a great, great piece of kit! :) 

Cheers Dan,

As I posted this thread I was hoping you'd chime in.  Especially as it was a few of your videos I watched regarding the combustion/NG2 models.

50 minutes ago, Jimryan said:

Cheers Dan,

As I posted this thread I was hoping you'd chime in.  Especially as it was a few of your videos I watched regarding the combustion/NG2 models.

Awww! Cool! I hope they were helpful - and if not, ask away, I'll do what I can to make your selection easier.. quick tip.. underneath the pick guard for the NG2 and Combustion (standard models) there's routs for both configurations. I.e., I could turn my 'standard' in to an NG2 pickup option should I fancy it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Daz39 said:

Yes; NG and Combustions from ‘16? onwards I think you can make them 3x without routing.

I’d still have the AB1. Mmmmm

I'm not sure about the newest models but the '16's can only do two pickup 'jazz' or NG2 config. You'd need to rout to do a 3x conversion. Maybe the later models have a bigger cut out, I've not seen. :) 

Afternoon all,

Well it happened didn't it.  After much thinking and pondering I decided that with a bass as valuable (for me anyway) as the AB1, I'd be too precious with it and not want to use it out the house.  So I set about getting a combustion.

After a few emails and a phone call to Mark at bass direct, I put down my first payment on my first Dingwall.  Really looking forward to playing it and can't wait for its arrival, but I think the AB1 will do me very nicely.  Yep, irrespective of my own logic I went for the AB1.

Heres the spec:

AB1 5/3 

candy cola finish

maple board

3 pickup model

Active preamp

dual density ash body

Dingwall USA strings

Dingwall gigbag

B7F244C3-EDB2-4E2E-92BB-72DA11A2FEF8-9837-000009B517E0F07E.jpeg

1D244412-C35A-4F91-AD49-9738896671DF-9837-000009B51DD5B2D1.png

• Like 4

Just now, Jimryan said:

Afternoon all,

Well it happened didn't it.  After much thinking and pondering I decided that with a bass as valuable (for me anyway) as the AB1, I'd be too precious with it and not want to use it out the house.  So I set about getting a combustion.

After a few emails and a phone call to Mark at bass direct, I put down my first payment on my first Dingwall.  Really looking forward to playing it and can't wait for its arrival, but I think the AB1 will do me very nicely.  Yep, irrespective of my own logic I went for the AB1.

Heres the spec:

AB1 5/3 

candy cola finish

maple board

3 pickup model

Active preamp

dual density ash body

Dingwall USA strings

Dingwall gigbag

B7F244C3-EDB2-4E2E-92BB-72DA11A2FEF8-9837-000009B517E0F07E.jpeg

1D244412-C35A-4F91-AD49-9738896671DF-9837-000009B51DD5B2D1.png

Good lord!! I adore that colour! - When I went to buy my own AB1, I had the choice of this red or bright yellow from the BD stock. The red unfortunately went quickly, so I just had to go for the crazy yellow instead (both in the 3X spec) - So, for you to go for this one, well, that's me giving you a big pat on the back. Congratulations, it's a beauty! 

6 hours ago, radiophonic said:

Surely a Stingray will sound absolutely nothing like a Dingwall though? It seems like an odd either/or. Mine's a '90 (4 string) and the neck is fantastic, but the sound is very specific and not remotely modern.

Interestingly, the 3X version can 'do' a musicman-ish sound when the bridge and middle pickup are combined. The standard switch combination is a parallel config, but me being me.. lol..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Combustion and an ABZ, the ABZ is the superior machine, playability is amazing and build quality best ive seen. However, the Combustion is just a load of fun, again build quality is amazing, sound/playability fab. I did an a/b/c against a Spector Euro5LX and a Roscoe 5 down at Bass Direct and the Combustion won hands down. I voted for the AB1 but I’m starting to think that what you are after is the Combustion... 

Buy @dood‘s which is on here. It’s got great pick up upgrades, the necks are fantastic and he’s a stellar bloke to deal with....all for 1k. It’s a no brainer plus you can move the pick ups too...ahh you’ve bought one.  

Edited by krispn