Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Combo - Neo Driver?

Sharkfinger

I've got my eye on a 'broken' 1x15 Trace Elliot combo going cheap. 

I'm really only interested in the cab and plan to replace the amp with one of my own heads that puts out more power.  Probably an Ashdown Evo II 500W.

I also want to lighten it a bit by putting a Neo speaker in.  The current speaker is rated at 200W but I've seen seemingly identical combos rated at 300W+, so I reckon the internal volume should be able to handle it.  I guess it's around a TL-606 kind of size.

Has anyone replaced the speaker in these or the similarly sized 1153 model cabs. What did you replace it with and what were the results?

I should point out I'd like the speaker to have been manufactured in Europe or America.  Weird, I know but that's the way it is.

If weight reduction is the only reason I wouldn’t bother, most of the weight comes from the incredibly well made cases, you may save a bit but probably not that noticeable. You would risk losing the TE sound, and if you lose that then why not just use a lightweight enclosure anyway?

The O/E Celestion (it'll be a C15T or a C15H) isn't that heavy anyways - they've only got a moderate sized magnet and a pressed frame as they're both likely to be based on the old K series from the '90s. Quite sweet sounding drivers in my opinion although they're surpassed with todays technology. I can't recommend a suitable driver as I've never crunched the numbers or needed to load something newer or lighter into an 1153 / EV 606 although give or take, if it's ok in a 606, it'll be ok in a 1153 / 715 / 7215 Trace box..

5 hours ago, T-Bay said:

If weight reduction is the only reason I wouldn’t bother, most of the weight comes from the incredibly well made cases, you may save a bit but probably not that noticeable. You would risk losing the TE sound, and if you lose that then why not just use a lightweight enclosure anyway?

Not particularly wedded to the trace sound, just wanted something that could handle a bit more power that my existing amp puts out. More cost effective than buying a working combo.

The reason I was looking at this was because it's already a combo and thats what i'm after for convenience. 

Mind you, even with a neo driver will come out at a substantial weight as you guys say. And with the cost of a neo speaker maybe not that much cheaper. Maybe i'll look out for a regular combo like an eden metro and sell the amps I have.

I can recommend the BMS 15N620, which works well in smallish cabs like the Trace combo. I have one in an Eden cab and it sounds amazing. Very low distortion, clear, crisp, punchy with a very sweet, extended midrange. It needs an internal volume of at least 70 litres - so I'd suggest you measure the internal volume  first. It's a bit pricey at £200, but well worth it. It's a genuine 500 watts. Made in Europe.

It weighs 3.7kg, which is relatively light for what it offers. The equivalent ceramic model weighs in at 9kg. So you are saving quite a bit of weight. 

33 minutes ago, stevie said:

I can recommend the BMS 15N620, which works well in smallish cabs like the Trace combo. I have one in an Eden cab and it sounds amazing. Very low distortion, clear, crisp, punchy with a very sweet, extended midrange. It needs an internal volume of at least 70 litres - so I'd suggest you measure the internal volume  first. It's a bit pricey at £200, but well worth it. It's a genuine 500 watts. Made in Europe.

It weighs 3.7kg, which is relatively light for what it offers. The equivalent ceramic model weighs in at 9kg. So you are saving quite a bit of weight. 

I'll check it out, thanks.  However, as others have stated it might not make that much of a difference because of the enclosure.

I emailed Clive Button a few months ago ( one of the original engineers of TE ) , and yes, he's still going, to ask about whacking in another amp,

and although my particular model couldnt be swapped out, he told me that my original TE speakers will take a lot more than the amp was rated at.

Whack the Ashdown in and keep the original  TE drivers.  Neos wont make much of a difference, as said already

Edited by fleabag