Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic K Series Cabs 2 x 12

CJBassman64

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience of TC Electronic K Series cabs? They seem well priced particularly the 2 x 12 version.

Was thinking of 2 cabs stacked on end for pub and wedding type gigs. Small stage footprint and OK height for monitoring.

Reason for the post is that I am reluctantly in the market for 2 x new cabs having lost patience (and money) with my GK NEO 112's.

Ideally would look to run the cabs with using my GK MB500.

Edited by CJBassman64

I've had a good play through the K212 when they came out.  They look very cool, but sound so-so, to me.  I wasn't a fan of the drivers.  I felt like they lacked a bit of sparkle. Obviously this could also be something to do with the cab design.

I should point out at this stage that I've since discovered that I'm not the biggest Neo driver fan anyway.

I did a gig last year with a (square cab not the rounded one) TC 2x12, very good and full sounding at low levels I used for that particular band. This prompted me to get a 2x12 cab but I went for the Markbass 2x12 Ninja, handles 800 watts but is 8 ohm. (The Markbass NY 2x122 is a 4 ohm cab at 800 watts). Terrific cabinet ! It could possibly do as a single cab for you instead of lugging two cabs about.

mybass and Tontee - thanks for the comments.

Tontee - completely agree. I like the idea of having the two cabs and being able to select for each venue - use the one for small gigs and two for larger. My only experience with NEOs is with GK and I am really disappointed in the durability as the drivers keep failing. On looking at the K212 specification they describe it as a lightweight cab but don't specify the drivers as NEO ones assuming I have read the specification correctly.

mybass - thanks for your comments I looked at Markbass as an alternative to my GK cabs. However, I was originally looking at the Traveller 2 x 10 cab and Traveller 1 x 15. I did not look so far at the Ninja range. Having lugged heavy Ashdown gear around prior to using GK anything modern will be easier to move. However, still have the Ashdown 550 Touring 15 and VS212 cab as I kept as a back up. Glad that I did now as it will be used until I replace GK gear. Plan to try the TC cabs this weekend.

Not quite the k212's but I use 2 k210's. Very clean, very modern, very hi-fi sounding cabs with a really controlled, tight sound. I use one cab for smaller gigs (with my TC BH550 it's more than enough) and bring out the second cab for the bigger shows. They're Seriously good value for money.

Edited by 40hz

9 hours ago, Tonteee said:

I wondered if you'd done something on them.  Excellent!

Thank you!

My favourite combinations were the 4x10 on the 1x15 together - they complemented each other and delivered lots of 'weight' to the sound. I also liked the 2x10 on the 2x12 though may have opted for a pair of 2x12's. Lavoce speakers on board seem to be good, same brand in the Laney SL cabinets which are great too.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and positives about the TC Electronic cabs. I have put the K212's at the top of my list to try out. My local(ish) store stocks them and has them in their bass demo room. I will definitely need to two cabs so that I can mix and match for different size venues. Am proposing to use them with my GK MB500 head unit so am hoping I can get a decent sound from the cabs and not have to purchase a different amp. I will try though the BH550 as a comparison to my existing set up. Thanks again to all for your help.

• 10 months later...
On 09/12/2017 at 20:53, Dood said:

Thank you!

My favourite combinations were the 4x10 on the 1x15 together - they complemented each other and delivered lots of 'weight' to the sound.

I've been considering this exact speaker configuration. Any further thoughts on it? Thanks

Edited by stewblack