Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Masterbilt Century De-Luxe

casapete

It’s got a medium deep neck, and a modern precision nut width. I’ve played other largish necks and this is the most comfortable; it’s very nice to play. Sound un amped is quite loud, certainly enough to practice at home with. Plugged in it’s the nearest I’ve heard to a double bass; it’s very full sounding, great! I think the strings are really good, tapewound and not too rubbery! Nice touches include aged binding and the whole bass has the feel of a decent quality instrument and it’s clear that some thought has gone into it. It’s not heavy, no neck dive. Obviously it’s quite a large body, so some may find it bulky and could be prone to feedback due to fully hollow body, but no problem so far at home volumes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Storky said:

It’s got a medium deep neck, and a modern precision nut width. I’ve played other largish necks and this is the most comfortable; it’s very nice to play. Sound un amped is quite loud, certainly enough to practice at home with. Plugged in it’s the nearest I’ve heard to a double bass; it’s very full sounding, great! I think the strings are really good, tapewound and not too rubbery! Nice touches include aged binding and the whole bass has the feel of a decent quality instrument and it’s clear that some thought has gone into it. It’s not heavy, no neck dive. Obviously it’s quite a large body, so some may find it bulky and could be prone to feedback due to fully hollow body, but no problem so far at home volumes.

Interesting, thanks for the comments.

Can you update when you've tried it at gig kind of levels please? 

I played it in my acoustic band on Friday. I think it works as a double bass substitute, where a venue is too small, or it’s just too much hassle to bring in a DB. Also think it would work in a 60s band for those Beatles, or similar numbers for a violin bass type thump. And any other rock n roll numbers where a double bass was used. Country, why not? Actually there’s plenty of uses, but watch for feedback, it was ok and it was easy enough to control, but it will feedback way before a solid body I think.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
43 minutes ago, PaulFenderJazz said:

Any news from anyone on using these in gigs? In particular how prone are they to feedback, vs a more mainstream semi hollow body? Cheers

When I tried one the feedback in the shop was too much and I didn’t get one. 

• 3 months later...

Toooooooo much feedback. Unstoppable . It is really a big problem. The pickup is so sensitive to every sound on stage, it’s impossible to play it with drums or even an acoustic set once you turn the volume up it starts feebacking. So disappointed. My sollution is to use an upright bass pickup, it works and sounds great.