Why become a member? ×

NCF - New Cab Fortnight

JapanAxe

A couple of weeks ago I took delivery of a new Barefaced Super Twin. I liked the sounds that I got from my Barefaced Compact and Midget, I just wanted 'more' of the same in a one-cab solution.

Barefaced cabs sometimes attract criticism for their hardware and aesthetics. Not this time - the black crinkle paint finish looks like the enclosure has been sculpted from living liquorice, and the handles and feet are firmly attached with captive fittings.

I have now had four 1-hour sessions playing my 3 bass guitars (2 Precisions and a Mustang) through both my amps (Demeter VTBP800, Markbass Nano 300) into the cab. Solo playing tells you hardly anything about how a cab will sound live, so I played along to country and soul compilations at volumes I thought the neighbours could just about tolerate.

So far, I love it! It has the nice fat and articulate mid-range of the Compact, it's much 'bigger' in the bass, and the treble is oh-so-sweet. I get the sense of notes just waiting to pop out from the strings, power flowing unhindered from the amp. Of course the real test is a live gig, which for me will happen this Saturday. I played the same venue a couple of months ago with my Compact-and-Midget speaker setup, so it will be interesting to see whether I can hear a difference. Hopefully my living-room sessions will have loosened the cones up a bit...

Pics or it didn't happen - just excuse my flip-flop/slippers!

160f3bf2-a36d-4b08-8445-77a92fd04065.jpeg

• Like 1

Graham, I am still the original owner of Super Twin number 001, and you know that it won't have seen an easy life with the Wirebirds, but it still looks as good it did the day I picked it up from Brighton. If anything, it sounds even better now than it did then!

Edited by FinnDave

59 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

I couldn't live with overhang!

What about two different sized cabs, one on it's side with a bigger one on top over hanging that and a head perched on top wider than that one, one tolex cab, one black cab, one silver cloth and one black cloth and none of the badges the right way up?  xD

3 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

What about two different sized cabs, one on it's side with a bigger one on top over hanging that and a head perched on top wider than that one, one tolex cab, one black cab, one silver cloth and one black cloth and none of the badges the right way up?  xD

No-o-o!!!

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Sounds like you need some tweed in your life too!

Well I have a 'tweed' guitar amp:

str-tweed_close.jpg

I've had my BF Big Twin II for a couple of weeks now and it's been on 2 gigs so far and am really impressed with the sound of it. I went for the black metal front cover more for durability. I've now got to get rid of  3 mesa boogie powerhouse cabs and once those have gone I will more than likely get one of the smaller cabs for when I want to travel light and still get a big sound. 

I gigged the cab on Saturday with my Demeter head and AVRI '63 Precision. Loud pub gig in a 6-piece.

There is a lot more bottom end on tap than with my previous Compact/Midget setup, so I had to dial back the bass a bit to balance it out. For a while I thought it was still too bassy, until I realised I was getting the 'benefit of the keyboard players heavy left hand through his personal wedge monitor, plus there was some low frequency just-on-the-edge-of-feedback nonsense going on with the PA.

The dispersion is very good indeed. I could stand right next to the cab and still hear exactly what I was playing.

Next outing is a 3-piece rock covers gig in January. Until then, the jury's out, which is a bit unfortunate as I've already sold my Compact!

• 8 months later...

Just realised I haven't updated this thread in 8 months!

With a 3-pice pub covers band : The extra bass delivered by this cab adds some 'heft' I didn't realise I was missing!

With a 4-piece country band: Bass at 12 o'clock on the Demeter was perfect for my old Compact, but too overbearing with this cab in a C&W context. I dialled the bass back to about 10.30, and found the lovely round low-mids that I so liked about the Compact.

It's sorted, and it's staying. Now wondering what it would be like with with a Handbox valve head...