Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GSR205 New Body Shape Finished FOR GOOD THIS TIME!!

Jimothey

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

Very nice.  That does look rather pleasing.  The headstock is balanced nicely by the check on the body.

Thanks, when I sprayed the top it came out really orange peel so instead of refinishing it I thought what the hell let’s give it a try and I like the way it’s turned out 

It kinda matches my P bass5CF4BE97-D050-409D-9D99-012A1CC46825.thumb.jpeg.8ac0b61a536a1f58fd8a9b1fb07dddc5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I’ve decided I don’t like the body being chequered so I’ve started refinishing it again

I’m still keeping it white but decided on a satin finish but I might top coat it gloss?.....

3FA24CE6-AD2C-458C-B026-92865543F7DE.thumb.jpeg.2b26aec342ffcc1c55fd79f1d70af951.jpeg

I think I’ll keep the hardware chrome but I still can’t decide whether to leave the fretboard the colour it is and just oil it or dye it black?

C278F2DB-D858-4476-B05A-E398B2BCB5D6.thumb.jpeg.d9db4c782d0d0530c0ead9453339e7e7.jpeg

I’ve got the new wiring loom but still need to get a new bone nut as it came with crappy plastic one!!

My preference on these kinds of things tends to be to properly condition the fretboard which darkens it in any case but leave it dark brown.  While I love ebony fretboards, I always think dyed ones look a little bit...well, dyed :D

But in reality, this is nothing to do with my preference so whatever you prefer - it's going to look stupendous whatever!

4 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

My preference on these kinds of things tends to be to properly condition the fretboard which darkens it in any case but leave it dark brown.  While I love ebony fretboards, I always think dyed ones look a little bit...well, dyed :D

But in reality, this is nothing to do with my preference so whatever you prefer - it's going to look stupendous whatever!

Wot he sed.

14 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

While I love ebony fretboards, I always think dyed ones look a little bit...well, dyed :D

Good point well made so eloquently :biggrin:

I’m thinking of just leaving it natural and just oil it and perhaps make a rosewood truss rod and cavity cover out of some veneer I’ve got?.......

@BreadBin I was considering changing the hardware to black but I’m liking the chrome on white but who knows I might change it at a later date?.....

@SpondonBassed it does look a bit unconventional but I didn’t want it to be an exact copy of a Warwick, but if you think this looks odd wait and see what a full paddle neck will look like on a telecaster body??......:biggrin:

I’ve had this guitar in parts for about 3 years but it’s finally finished!!!!

I’m really happy with the way it’s turned out!! It’s much better plain than chequered!!!

0483E687-D2C5-4F05-85FA-D75B8DA07C2F.thumb.jpeg.d2a12c4cf9130e3de47b185988bef181.jpeg

2 down 2 to go!!.......

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Yup.  It looks fine with the strings on.  How's it sounding?

It’s the first 5er that I’ve tried so I’m not used to the low B growl but I’ve only got a little 10w practice amp at the mo so it sounds ok?!.... probably sound better with a better amp?!......

18 hours ago, Jimothey said:

It’s the first 5er that I’ve tried so I’m not used to the low B growl but I’ve only got a little 10w practice amp at the mo so it sounds ok?!.... probably sound better with a better amp?!......

You'll only know then.  The initial report sounds promising

I’m going to remake the body on this as the shape and size doesn’t feel right so I’ve decided on doing a Fortress style instead of a corvette 

I’ve done the template it was going to be a P J but I’ve changed my mind and just reuse all the hardware 

11671D3C-5436-4BD3-BF9E-020A9FB5B050.thumb.jpeg.8e65d83a1b1f68f2ed799ebadf34dc4e.jpeg

I’m probably going to change the colour from white as my Streamer build is going to be white but I can’t decide on what colour as yet?....

Edited by Jimothey