Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GSR205 New Body Shape Finished FOR GOOD THIS TIME!!

Jimothey

@Andyjr1515 thanks for doing that for me it has made it a bit clearer and also exactly how difficult it will probably be 

When it comes to the end of the horn would it be worth cutting a few little v’s out of the end to help smooth it over or do you reckon that may cause it to split more??

The veneer is paper backed so I don’t know if that will make any difference to how it will bend as I’ve only ever used real wood veneer before (if you know what I mean??) 

Thanks again, everyone is in for a treat at the bass bash watching you do it live!!

Edited by Jimothey

29 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

@Andyjr1515 thanks for doing that for me it has made it a bit clearer and also exactly how difficult it will probably be 

When it comes to the end of the horn would it be worth cutting a few little v’s out of the end to help smooth it over or do you reckon that may cause it to split more??

The veneer is paper backed so I don’t know if that will make any difference to how it will bend as I’ve only ever used real wood veneer before (if you know what I mean??) 

Thanks again, everyone is in for a treat at the bass bash watching you do it live!!

In terms of the way the veneer bends, the paper backed veneer acts just the same.  However, it does help prevent splits running for some veneers so could be a benefit on this one.

If you are going to do a centre join and apply the veneers in two operations, remember that:

• It does shink a little as it warms up so will try to pull away from the centre join
  • It floats on the molten glue and so, until it is properly secured, can shift around a bit

I fit one side, check that the join is still completely straight, then secure the join first, using the iron to push the second sheet into the join then hold firmly with the cloth until it's grabbed - I effectively tack it like that in 4-5 places along the join then close up the complete join.  I've seen it done different ways too but that way works for me personally ;)

Im still not feeling too confident in my abilities at the mo so I’m thinking that maybe I’ll build up to trying to veneer and perhaps do that on my scratch build I’ve got planned as that will be a flat top with slightly eased corners so it will be a bit easier 

So on this one I’m gonna use the sapele on bottom and the paulownia on top then when I shape it will be a lot easier 

I’ve started trying to get the new body resized and glued up but the body works out to be 40mm thick so I didn’t know whether to put a 3mm constructional veneer in between to make it a little bit thicker, but Im sure I’ve read somewhere that Warwick basses only have a 41mm thick body so it might be thick enough??......

1 minute ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Based on the fact that my bodies nowadays are usually closer to 25mm (but I'm, admittedly, weird), then structurally and for fitting any 'normal' electrics and pickups, 40mm is plenty, plenty :)

Quite agree. Most bodies I make are in the range 35-40mm. I've got a spare Warwick preamp from a Thumb bass and I need to make a deeper body when I use that as the push/pull switch on the balance/blend knob makes it quite long.

That’s cool then hopefully I’ll get the body all glued up over the weekend while I’m at work and get it all cut

Im still not 100% sure whether to have the sapele on the top or bottom?? 

Edited by Jimothey

Managed to get a bit more done on my lunch break yesterday

3DEC5103-6718-4A3A-9AFB-D5C192909083.thumb.jpeg.076d17e070fa4c798bd503ef1e6e6fcb.jpeg6255E02E-2E11-4E08-9942-066639961D8B.thumb.jpeg.456187e9fac945852ef2928691600b43.jpeg

I made the alterations to the size for the neck pocket it’s not that dramatic but it makes a difference

AAF126B4-7119-46E8-A7C0-11CF5D8BF8C5.thumb.jpeg.1653f6e7282010251febab636afb102d.jpeg

I’ll be sanding all lunchtime and hopefully start getting some shaping done 

I also started making my neck pocket and pickup routing template

87A839B5-3B85-426D-AC66-8D145E5B24EB.thumb.jpeg.2efb57348702e76dcc340e8bfbb5ef00.jpeg

Hopefully post some more pics later on today.......

Edited by Jimothey

Managed to get some more done today finished shaping the back and got the arm carve cut done (I don’t know if it needs to be a bit bigger)

B62899FE-366C-4176-A3D7-AB0443D99FC5.thumb.jpeg.bbac67c9b0d5e924920290ddc12c04e1.jpeg

Also got most of the routing done just need to remove the bulk of the neck pocket

D6D35CC8-0119-4F96-BF2B-ED819D78D144.thumb.jpeg.50d94d7e6cc82af1e82bc466ebc3a0e1.jpeg 

Tomorrows jobs are the belly carve, sand down and fill little bits of the sides and hopefully the control cavity........

Couldn’t get as much done as I hoped today.....

Finished the neck pocket and started the belly carve but that’s about it!!

56946788-AECE-4F70-A93C-84CDBEDD6E05.thumb.jpeg.bae55792412ad3c55bee80ab419b9746.jpeg

I’m not sure whether to do the headstock black or sand it back to maple??

Im not back in work till Friday so I’ll get some more done then.......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimothey said:

56946788-AECE-4F70-A93C-84CDBEDD6E05.thumb.jpeg.bae55792412ad3c55bee80ab419b9746.jpeg

I think back to maple, with black hardware. Looking good.

• Thanks 1

On 10/04/2018 at 12:51, Jimothey said:

That's looking great - that grain absolutely doesn't need veneering.  Beautiful!     :)

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That's looking great - that grain absolutely doesn't need veneering.  Beautiful!     :)

Thanks I was really happy when I found that board in the shed as it was really clear of knots and the fact it’s got a slight difference in colour between the sap and heartwood was very appealing to me 

I’m not sure whether to leave it completely natural or stain it down slightly to a maybe a light honey colour??......

Got some more done over the weekend

Belly carve, control cavity and headstock sanded all done now, sanded the whole body down to 240 grit ready from the poly finish which I’ll start tomorrow after I’ve drilled the controls out 

C946DC92-F47C-474C-AFEC-3E549F8CC160.thumb.jpeg.7e4e7961b1e863464881ef6593f09b6e.jpeg

I was going to change all the hardware to black but with starting a new job funds are a bit tight so I’m going to reuse the chrome but I might change it a later date......

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Looking good :i-m_so_happy:

You are giving me ideas - I have a Cort Curbow that I don't get on with as the body is too small...

Go for it!!! 

It’s such a cheap way of making a bass the way you want as you already have everything.....

Hopefully next week I’ll be able to get back on my P Bass build (‘72 style pickguard with MM pickups) :D

• Like 1