Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GSR205 New Body Shape Finished FOR GOOD THIS TIME!!

Jimothey

• 2 months later...

I've been chopping and changing between my Jazz and this bass and the action is still too high for my liking but...... I hit a bit of a snag trying to lower it!

I must have gone a bit too shallow when routing the pickup cavities because now the strings are too close to the pickups and they are getting interference so....... I thought whilst I rout the pickups deeper I will sort out something that has really been bugging me and that's the spacing between the knobs obviously when I space them out the holes will be on show so I thought because I've got some veneer left over from my neck thru build I will put it to good use and veneer the top of this one eliminating the knob issue (that came out wrong!!🤨

I'm off for a week so I'll start that when I get back to work

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to rout out the pickup cavities to the correct depth, filled the old control knob holes and veneered the top waiting for the glue to go off so I can trim and sand the sides I've still got the headstock to do but I'll do that tomorrow

_20180820_135238.thumb.JPG.b6f136cff95377ab59007f64b7397303.JPG

I used Andys iron on technique but belt and braces and all that 😀

😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

On 21/08/2018 at 18:46, Jimothey said:

I'm thinking of inking the fretboard darker? Would Fiebings leather dye be the way to go? 🤔

It's what a lot of folks seem to use and recommend for the job.  Not used it myself but have seen impressive results from it.

• Thanks 1

I've just to to reposition the knobs, polish the back up and get some self adhesive MOP blocks

But it's virtually finished now and I'm leaving it like this!! No more refinishing!! 😀

With pickguard?

_20180823_130241.thumb.JPG.aace0a2d4c6db97725b2e2973469103e.JPG

Or without?? 

_20180823_130738.thumb.JPG.33c08886cc6ad54c045add2040b73767.JPG

Edited by Jimothey

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I've just to to reposition the knobs, polish the back up and get some self adhesive MOP blocks

But it's virtually finished now and I'm leaving it like this!! No more refinishing!! 😀

With pickguard?

_20180823_130241.thumb.JPG.aace0a2d4c6db97725b2e2973469103e.JPG

Or without?? 

_20180823_130738.thumb.JPG.33c08886cc6ad54c045add2040b73767.JPG

For me it would be with pickguard.  Oh my, that's SO good!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Without.

The edge of the pickguard clashes with the stripes.

The colour of the veneer in the photo is a lot darker than it is in the flesh (crappy fluorescent tube lighting in the workshop) I'll take some new pics in my kitchen which has cool white bulbs

But I get what you mean in the pic it does look like it clashes, I could always scrape the paint off the edge so it's white then it might contrast better? 😀

After @Norris said the pickguard looks a bit pointy for the shape of the bass it got me thinking so I made a paper template that I rounded the corners off to see how would look and I think it looks better (also Im liking it in white aswell) so good shout Norris! :hi:

_20180826_010515.thumb.JPG.39b996b7a3559eb432ff10dab6eebb3f.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...