Why become a member? ×

Tune Bass Maniac 4 string - SOLD
£229

hamfist

Bass now SOLD

Lovely 1990 MIJ Tune Bass Maniac 4 string bass. These basses were the original Japanese design that inspired the whole Bass Collection and Ibanez SR range basses. You don't see many for sale because they are pretty awesome and people hang on to them.

Ash body with 3-piece laminated maple neck, brass nut. Light as a feather yet still with an authoritative tone that does not get lost with a band. So easy to play it almost plays itself.

Very slim neck, 37.5mm nut width.

When I got the bass I was very impressed with the ergonomics and playability but not so much with the pickups or preamp. So, it now sports a Tonerider/Wilkinson PJ setup with passive Jazz bass pickups wired VVT (the 4th pot is a dummy pot). Personally, I think it is hugely improved. Great for pretty much any style I guess.

Condition is superb for a 27 yr old bass. The neck is immaculate and straight as a die. Probably the loveliest neck of any bass I have ever played. Fret wear is very minimal. The body is generally in excellent condition with a couple of dings and a few other very minor swirls and scuffs. It is not a museum piece, but the general impression is of a bass in excellent condition. 

I bought this bass from Dandelion, of this forum, and I did trace the original owner, who is also a member here, although with the loss of all my PMs with the website format change I cannot remember who it is and now have no record. I do remember that the original owner told me that the bass was bought new in Spain in 1990 and did have the "Made in Japan" sticker on the cavity cover when new. The sticker is identical in every way to my other MIJ Tune bass. I mention all this because Tune changed production to Korea in or around 1990-91 and this bass has some transitional hardware, more common with MIK basses. However, I can confirm that this bass was made in Japan.

Price is £229 posted to you in mainland UK, which I consider an absolute bargain for a classic MIJ bass. Will be sent in a battered but protective hard case. Payment by Paypal gift or bank transfer only please. Collection from me in the Southampton area would also be just fine, and would involve a saving of £15 for you !   No trades thanks. Only for sale as I have another of these, with a slightly prettier front and I am desperate to raise money for a camera lens !

38848252401_c5762d6ab4_b.jpgmain by Alan Bridges, on Flickr

27071377589_74264abe00_b.jpgbody front by Alan Bridges, on Flickr

38848242211_ae276e811e_b.jpgbody rear by Alan Bridges, on Flickr

38848240671_dc0f2886dd_b.jpghstock front by Alan Bridges, on Flickr

38848249571_edcbd0ca27_b.jpgneck rear by Alan Bridges, on Flickr

27071373999_98e0a2d001_b.jpghstock rear by Alan Bridges, on Flickr

37960889765_56e039b0f1_b.jpgMIJ by Alan Bridges, on Flickr

Edited by hamfist
  • Like 1