Why become a member? ×

Quit my band, and no new plans to gig...

AndyTravis

38 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Lol, why is it doubtful?...

If we're assuming a forty-odd year future, that's a couple of generations. There are no more roller-rinks (well, very few...) which were once all the rage. Similarly, few pubs now have piano ('joanna'...) sing-song evenings; used to be nightly. There may well be rock/pop/live music gigs to be had in forty years time, but it's not something I'd be betting on (although it's true that I don't bet, either..!). Doubtful..? Certainly not a certainty, I'd say (for better or worse; all may be 'virtual' in future years, or radio-active ashes..! :$ ).

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

If we're assuming a forty-odd year future, that's a couple of generations. There are no more roller-rinks (well, very few...) which were once all the rage. Similarly, few pubs now have piano ('joanna'...) sing-song evenings; used to be nightly. There may well be rock/pop/live music gigs to be had in forty years time, but it's not something I'd be betting on (although it's true that I don't bet, either..!). Doubtful..? Certainly not a certainty, I'd say (for better or worse; all may be 'virtual' in future years, or radio-active ashes..! :$ ).

I was going to say, there are others here that can explain "why doubtful" better than me. You nailed it in a few short sentences.

Very astute commentary Dad33.

Blue

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

IMO, doubtful was being generous.

Put it this way, there might be gigging but unrecognizable from what I've grown up through.

Blue

70’s - Arena tours and professional shows put together by labels etc. Maybe a few shows putnon by local promoters and pubs.

Now - Massive arena tours, professional shows out together by labels, kids touring their garage band for months with a DIY ethos, medium-sized artists taking control and touring from kick-starter campaigns etc.

40 years from now - yes it might be different in some way, but you can’t say that gigs will be doubtful, it’s not based on any evidence or trend. The whole ‘when I was a kid’ thing doesn’t stand up here.

Si

• 1 month later...

Great news, great pic and hopefully you'll find time to get back into playing again but family first and foremost and focus on them before you start looking.

Keep us all posted on how things go and wishing you and the family all our best wishes.

Dave and Mrs Dave 😃

• Like 1

On 02/06/2018 at 12:47, AndyTravis said:

Pleased to say Iris came home after 6 weeks in hospital and 5 operations (the first of which at 2 days old was a gruelling 9 1/2 hours).

She’s doing great and it’s lovely to have her home.

Aw, she's gorgeous! Such a little cutie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Got offered a gig today...said no. Magic.

Really tempting, but it’s my old band doing the covers stuff...not interested in going backwards.

Not worth doing it to just 'keep your hand in'?

But no rehearsals required? I guess it depends on whether playing that set live is going to be fun or a drag.

I really wasn't looking forward to a covers gig last Friday night starting at 11pm (2 x 45 sets) and finishing at 1am for not much money (particularly as I had a function gig the following night, which was a priority). But back line was provided, we made the most of the late start by meeting up for some food beforehand, so managed a bit of a band social and then we 'nailed it' and got a great audience reaction. All the band left on a high. For me, gigs like that are a treat. 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But no rehearsals required? I guess it depends on whether playing that set live is going to be fun or a drag.

I really wasn't looking forward to a covers gig last Friday night starting at 11pm (2 x 45 sets) and finishing at 1am for not much money (particularly as I had a function gig the following night, which was a priority). But back line was provided, we made the most of the late start by meeting up for some food beforehand, so managed a bit of a band social and then we 'nailed it' and got a great audience reaction. All the band left on a high. For me, gigs like that are a treat. 

I have no problem with the set or knowing the songs, they haven’t changed the set I picked 18 months ago.

I just know that they’re still ridiculously underehearsed (saw a recent video) and it’s not the regular singer...so it’ll be a shambles.

I left for a reason. It’s like going back to an ex for a quickie, on paper sounds fun but you know you’ll feel dirty and it’ll ultimately be unfulfilling and regrettable.

• Haha 3