Why become a member? ×

Low tension roundwounds

Guest MoJo

I don't know whether it's because I'm getting older and weaker, but as of late, my usual choice of roundwound strings, Fender 7250ML 45-105, feel as taught as cheese wire. I tried a set of 7250L 40-100 but can barely tell the difference.

I'm looking for a set of rounds with a lower tension. A bass playing friend has recommended Dunlop Superbright Nickels. He says that they're a lower tension than his usual Ernie Balls. Are there any other roundwounds that you folks could recommend that I try?

It looks like DR Hi-Beams are still on offer on Amazon at around £20 delivered from USA. You have to wait for them for a while, but it is a great deal. I bought a couple of sets and they are now my firm favorite...not only because of the price!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009FJ1NS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I tend to prefer high-compliance and low-tension strings - Hi-Beams seem OK but not very low tension and anything with a round core, rather than hexagonal should help (though be careful with appropriate bends when re-stringing).  The lowest tension that I know of is TI rounds.  Beautiful strings in every way but with a premium price tag

The Dunlops are very low tension. I found them a bit too low tension but these may be good for you. The D'darios mentioned here are about in the middle for me.

Just in case it hasn't been explored, have you tried lowering your action and straightening your truss rod a bit? If I have a few weeks of not playing much I tweak the bass this way. Might buzz a bit but its ok till my fingers get back to full strength. 

2 hours ago, bassjim said:

The Dunlops are very low tension. I found them a bit too low tension but these may be good for you. The D'darios mentioned here are about in the middle for me.

Just in case it hasn't been explored, have you tried lowering your action and straightening your truss rod a bit? If I have a few weeks of not playing much I tweak the bass this way. Might buzz a bit but its ok till my fingers get back to full strength. 

I have the tiniest amount of relief and a very low (1.75mm at the 17th fret on the E string) action. I think the problem lies in my hand. I don't have the grip strength I once had.

I was having a dig around.

Your usual strings are 45-105. Fender do the same string in a lighter gauge at 40-100 but if that isn't light enough then you'll have to change brand.

The D'addario's I posted are very low tension. But the problem is that many other makers don't publish their tension figures. So you might find that someone else's 35-95 set are lighter than the D'Addarios.

That being said - the D'addario 35-95 are not far off the Status-Graphite 30-90. They are much closer than the different gauges suggest.

Not many makers do a 30-90 set BUT you could get the highest 4 strings from a 6 string set That would probably be the lightest of all, but that means tuning down a huge amount from the intended tuning - Truss Rod adjustments and probably nut changes are likely.

Personally - I'd suggest giving the Status or the D'addarios a try. They are both good strings and really light.

Further to Fretmeister's post, I use Status 30-90 on my headless Status basses.  I tried recently to get hold of some Status 30-90s with round cores (and conventional ends rather than DBE).  Unfortunately, Status no longer supply the latter but are trying to source a new manufacturer.  I'd concur with other posts too - Newtone will do pretty much whatever gauge is required, and with round cores.  I've found Newtone product to be of a high quality. 

I agree with Owen about the Newtone nickel roundwounds they are flexible and you can still dig in when required without the string feeling sloppy. You can opt for round or hex core and there's different string wraps which give a slight variation on the tension.