Why become a member? ×

NEED HELP...YAMAHA BB1025 PJ PUPS SIZE

funkydario

Hi everybody

I've just bought a used Yamaha 5 strings BB1025 , bass is on the way and i will receive it by the end of the week. I am planning to put a nice set of Nordstrand on it and i have asked the distributor in italy but cannot find any information about the pup's size ?

I know I will have the bass by the end iof the week and it's just a matter of waiting ...but I will need this bass very soon and I'd like to gain some time if someone has the information...

Thanx

D

They are not a standard size, so you will struggle to replace them without leaving gaps unless you get some custom pickup surrounds made up, you might have to do some additional routing also.

Why in such a hurry before you've even heard what the stock ones sound like? The stock pickups are louder, more lows and less highs than typical PJs, but they sound great. If you want to drop replacements straight in, you would be better off looking at one of the newer BB models (e.g. BB235, 435, 735A) that use traditional size pickups. The stock ones on the new models are voiced more like vintage pickups (more mids/highs, less lows) and you may be surprised to find they sound as good as whatever you were planning on putting in there!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 3

+1 for what DB has just said.

I completely love the Nord growl on my two Ibby basses and totally understand where you're coming from. However I just traded my BB 425 and when the guy getting it off me heard the pups on Yammy for the first time he had that grin that you get when you just know you've got a great sounding bass. I almost didn't go ahead with the trade :)  

I find the buzz from the J pickup is highly room dependent. At home I hardly hear any buzz at all, I really have to crank the volume up and listen out for it. It was a lot more apparent when I tried one out in a store though, with all the fluorescent lighting around etc.

I still say an easier route would be to pick up a BB435 where those Nordsrtands would probably drop straight in!

5 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I find the buzz from the J pickup is highly room dependent. At home I hardly hear any buzz at all, I really have to crank the volume up and listen out for it. It was a lot more apparent when I tried one out in a store though, with all the fluorescent lighting around etc.

I still say an easier route would be to pick up a BB435 where those Nordsrtands would probably drop straight in!

1025 is already bought , used for 450€ . The problem is that I will use this bass with a Top40 dance band and the sound engineer work alot for TV shows...;so he put compressor everywhere...sometime i ask myself if he put compressor also in his food and sex life :crazy::facepalm::facepalm:..;anyway...the minimum buzz or hum is just made it BIGGER !! 

We'll see 

1025X (pickup switch in the middle position, i.e. with the noisy J pickup in the circuit) into a compressor, then into a Darkglass amp with distortion and boosting the hi mids and treble (all of which should highlight any noise!) - but still can't hear any!

https://www.basschat.co.uk/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=3191

Edited by dannybuoy