Why become a member? ×

What Do You Bring To The Table?

Bluewine

Apart from my bassly duties, I dive into a lot of our marketing work (posters, logo, packaging, merch etc) which is becoming increasingly important these days.

I'm also the most nitpicky guy of the four of us, and spend hours listening to our rehearsals and studio recordings to spot when the magic happens (or doesn't). Fascinated with the mixing process too so generally involved in that.

• Like 1

Tech - live setup, mixing, equipment, home recording, electrocution avoidance.

Marketing - band logo, gig posters

Music - songwriting (albeit just three)

Parked next to hi-hat for whole gig with a big grin, enjoying the soloists :)

Both the bands I am currently playing with were well-established when I joined so at the moment I don't really bring anything other someone to play bass.

However in bands in the past I have been the main composer of the music, provider of the majority of the equipment, provider of the rehearsal room and place for other band members to store their equipment, owner of the equipment and location for the band to make their recordings, producer of all the printed and later on-line promotional material, organiser of pretty much everything to do with the band - rehearsals, gigs, recordings, photo-shoots and band image. 

In other words everything except sing and write the lyrics.

If its a ego blowing trumpet thing.

I can hold my own on the bass and I would say I'm a very competent player.

100% reliable. Dependable. Good musical instincts. Good team player. Right attitude. Will always have the material down. Never miss a rehearsal or gig (unless its something like I'm out of the country or ill. In which case I will source the dep and it will be a good and capable one so the band are in good hands). Tend to end up taking over in rehearsals to MD. I dont go out of my way to do this , it just kinda happens. band members tend to look to me for direction in rehearsals and gigs. Even when I'm depping for another band they do this.  If however I'm ever crossed on this point, usually by a guitarist, I give it up to whom ever wants to do it.  Dont know why but it tends to float back to me naturally so maybe that's a skill I just got. Or I have a serious ego problem. Yeah maybe. But its in there. :crazy: 

Edited by bassjim
gramma

I play drums, bass and guitar, all in bands (at the moment). I'm not particularly amazing at any of them but I could wing most gigs. I'm easy going, but I'll tell you when you're playing the wrong note, or the wrong rhythm. I do a lot of recording other bands so I'm pretty good at being diplomatic with my "feedback". Oh yeh, you get mates rates on recording too.

Come to think of it I also do all the websites, show you how to use google calendar every week, send files to promoters, radio stations, record labels, get hold of royalties, and fix anything that's vaguely electronic because you found out I do IT for a day job. 

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Dave and Tim are like fire and ice. I feel my role in the band is to be kind of in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.,  

Damn, beat me to it Mr Smalls

• While not being the best bassist in the world, 30 odd years of playing at Jam nights has prepared me for pretty much anything the git-tarists throw at me
  • The online technical snizzle (facebook, twitter, websites etc etc)
  • A large boot full of spare gear
  • more organised than an organised thing on an organised day
  • Set list creator and printer off-er
  • 1st class degree in sarcasm
  • Very fast fingers

think thats about it.