Why become a member? ×

What Do You Bring To The Table?

Bluewine

I am the organiser in the band, whether it’s rehearsals or gaffer tape I am the one that sorts it. My bag of everything is part of our band folklore now, whether is a 9v battery, spare lead, cable tie or whatever, the chances are I will have one. I don’t mind as I can’t bear not being prepared atbthe best of times.

I'm a marginal bass player, even though I've been gigging since 1966.

I bring stability and committment and the right attitude to our band.

Never missed a gig or rehearsal, never blocked any dates. And I've been with them for 6 years.

In summary, I know how to be in a band. I always have fun and don't take myself too seriously.

After 50  years of gigging, I never bring a fowl attitude to a gig. It's still a whole lot of fun for me from load in to load out.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Blue, I am sure that your attitude makes you a lot more fun to play with (and gets you more gigs) than being a virtuoso prima donna with a sour face who thinks they're 'too good' to be playing bar gigs

Reliable and pleasant to be around win every time in my book. 

Well at first thought my reply was, I print the set lists. But on digging further I can safely say I contribute in:

Song-writing/arrangements

Mixing - I have a pretty commercial ear, so tend to lead on mixing our recordings, at least to get where all is needed are minor tweaks

Stability & punctuality

Organising travel - I tend to go with road knowledge and experience, rather than "the sat-nav says"

Making sure no matter how rotten/tired I feel, the performance never shows either of these - the punters don`t want to see that

So I suppose much of the above is knowing how to be in a band, as much as for my musicianship

But at the end of the day, those set lists are darn good-uns................

4 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Blue, I am sure that your attitude makes you a lot more fun to play with (and gets you more gigs) than being a virtuoso prima donna with a sour face who thinks they're 'too good' to be playing bar gigs

I think you`re spot on there, Dave. I`ve played with many very talented musicians who simply did not know how to be in a band. Attitude - as in having a pleasant/good one - is one of the main requirements. I`ve played in bands with many really talented guys who simply had no idea how to actually be in a band.

5 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Your right Dave,

I always stress the value of playing with the best people not the best musicians.

I know some prima donnas that I would never let into my house no less play in a band with them.

Blue

Reliable solid bass player. I play with an aggresive confident and energetic style that suits most rock bands i've played with.

Never miss a rehearsal or gig. 

I'm very organised and write every song out note for note on the bass part and ensure all covers are done to the agreed version structure.

Always eager to help other set up if needed.

As far as i know i'm pretty easy going altho i do like things done properly and can be quite pushy to ensure band sounds tight at any gigs.

Having done PA & Lighting hire for few years i have a good working knowledge of how things should be set up and being an electrical / electronics engineer i am able to sort out the minor probs with gear on the night. Can cover all the lead repairs where required.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Definitely organisation, think its a bass players lot to keep the band on an even keel, I always send out MP3's of new songs, just because 1 lead guitarist always goes to 'what Clapton does', on You Tube regardless of what arrangement we have agreed to *sigh*

Set lists too, no one else seems to have any idea how to structure a set to get the punters happy...tnx to all on here for that..I learned a lot!!

I must like herding cats too, cos it always seems to be me chasing for new songs updates, next rehearsal, next gig, etc.  Plus the last minute txts tio make no one has forgotten anything... the list is endless!

I'm not sure I'm bringing much to my current band other than being the guitarist's taxi (he contributes good conversation and diesel money).

In previous bands I've organised and printed off set lists (nobody else offered!), Borrowed the works van as a tour bus, driven the van to God knows where!

Picked up the singer and 2 guitarists for rehearsal when singer couldn't borrow his parents' car, organised rehearsal space, written music, organised recording sessions, etc. All with a smile on my face and a bass in my case.

Nowadays I find myself in a band where everyone else seems to take responsibility for these things. It gives me more time to concentrate on my family and also practice the songs!

28 minutes ago, Andy_L said:

Organisation.

Oh, and a VW Passat estate

I never even gave that a thought but i have a Hilux covered pick up. So that's why bands have been asking me. Its nothing to do with me or my ability. I just have a big car to cary gear xDxD

Dave

I bring creativity, commitment and hard work. I am not the best musician but I am always the best prepared. I organise the rehearsals and help find gigs. I sing decent harmonies and If needed I also play drums and guitar. As for my bass playing, my bass lines are not the most complex but I get into bands because they are creative and dependable.