Why become a member? ×

Gallien Kruger MB500 Vs Markbass LMIII

FarFromTheTrees

I just ordered an MB500 to compare against the LMIII which I have on loan from a friend who isn't playing at the moment.

I'm very impressed with the LMIII, it sounds amazing with my B7K Ultra. It's a very clean sounding head. I've never had the pleasure of trying anything GK before so i'm excited for it to arrive. 

My question is, which would you choose and why? 

Cheers!

It would really depend on the type of music for me. If I were in a band where the bass was a supporting instrument, blending in with the drums and providing a good platform on which the other instruments shine then the Markbass, but if I wanted the bass to have its own "identity" then the GK. This isn`t to say the Markbass is bland, far from it, for classic Precision/Motown sounds Markbass are excellent, but I just find that the GK sound is better if wanting the bass in the forefront rather than the background.

That said, as you`ve got the B7K you`ve the added eq/drive options for creating an identity, or coming more forward in the mix so in that case having the Markbass amp is covering all - pardon the pun - bases. Solid/background on its own, driven etc with B7K.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It would really depend on the type of music for me. If I were in a band where the bass was a supporting instrument, blending in with the drums and providing a good platform on which the other instruments shine then the Markbass, but if I wanted the bass to have its own "identity" then the GK. This isn`t to say the Markbass is bland, far from it, for classic Precision/Motown sounds Markbass are excellent, but I just find that the GK sound is better if wanting the bass in the forefront rather than the background.

That said, as you`ve got the B7K you`ve the added eq/drive options for creating an identity, or coming more forward in the mix so in that case having the Markbass amp is covering all - pardon the pun - bases. Solid/background on its own, driven etc with B7K.

+1 I think Lozz has nailed it!

I've been very happy with my LM3 variant in my Markbass 121 combo and have been playing it pretty much 'neat' with just my bass with both my bands over the past 3 years. But the addition of a pedal board in 2018 will certainly add a bit of spice to the proceedings! :) 

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Well I play in a alt-metal band and as you say, i like to have my own identity within the music and be in the forefront in parts, so if your comment is anything to go by the GK is likely going to be the way forwards. I'll find out when it arrives in the morning! At home I like to play lots of reggae too, and the LMIII really shines when you dial in that thick tone. Saying that, my B7K does it wonderfully too but its easy as anything to dial it in on the LMIII with that VLE knob.

That was a great reply though, thanks!

3 hours ago, Japhet said:

I'd go for the Fusion because it's a cracking amp and has 2 foot switchable channels.

I looked at those but it's just outside my price range at the moment!

Ive got, and am currently using, a MB800 and Markbass F1. I know the F1 isnt the same as a LMII/III (had that, loved it).

Id agree with whats been said about both. to my ears the MB amps are quite bland, but work well with FX. I always use something like a BDDI/VMT etc. These really bring the amp to life, without losing the thick warm tone. To my ears the MB amps do warm/vintage really well. It does seem to sit more in the mix, rather than jump out, but thats obviously down to how its set and what i do with it. Certain ly it seems to fill out the low end more. Slightly less defined than the GK, but nothing i would favour one amp over the other for.

The GK800 does have more character, but i dont find the basic tone too far from the F1. I guess the cab is also having an effect on the tone.I find the GK has a more open tone on its own. Probably to do with more upper mid control.

I do tend to use the F1 flat, and use the BDDI etc for shaping the tone, whereas with the GK i tend to use the knobs more, even when i am using my BDDI etc, and i do use the same FX with either. I just find the GK needs a bit less of it.

Well i've had the GK since yesterday and I have to say the LMIII works better with my pedals. I think the GK sounds better without FX but that's not any good to me. The LMIII with my B7K is just amazing. I didnt realise how amazing it sounded until I got my hands on another head to compare it against.

So back the GK goes and i'll get an LMIII of my own instead!

Yep, I`ve found that "warmer" sounding amps stranley seem to be a nice platform for pedals. My current set-up is Ashdown - set flat not a million miles away from Markbass - and pair it with a Tech21 Para Driver. I find the pairing of the warm amp with the harder sounding pedal really works to my ears. You should be able to pick up a decent LMIII off of here pretty easily, and at a decent price too.

I use a LMII. Started with a LMII about 7 years ago. Went on the 'ole merry go round of equipment, and realised about 3 years ago that i was just chasing the MarkBass sound id previously had. So bought a LMII for ridiculously cheap, and have used it happily ever since.

It is a warm, sound when set flat, but you can make it a bit more aggressive and percussive with the filters without any problem. I also have a Sansamp that pairs beautifully with it.

That said, if i was in a band like yours (I'm not, i play motown/soul/disco), i'd probably opt for the GK.

Lots of good gear out there right now. Just find the flavor that suits you

I have had both (well Jeff Berlin combo) and LM 500. MB for rock, Mark Bass is more jazzy. MB would not run low ohm cab at high volume for 2hrs as the protection would cut in. MB never faltered at all but was a combo with an extension cab. I suspect I do play quite a lot louder than most or needs be to be honest ;-)

18 hours ago, FarFromTheTrees said:

Well i've had the GK since yesterday and I have to say the LMIII works better with my pedals. I think the GK sounds better without FX but that's not any good to me. The LMIII with my B7K is just amazing. I didnt realise how amazing it sounded until I got my hands on another head to compare it against.

So back the GK goes and i'll get an LMIII of my own instead!

Shame but at least you put your mind at rest. No more amp GAS lol

Its funny but i use my BDDI to liven my MB heads up, but the same pedal to tame the GK. I cant imagine ever wanting to use my F1 without another preamp in front on it. I got the GK to get away from using preamp boxes, but i find they do work just as well with that head, although not with quite the same settings.