Why become a member? ×

Fender Jv Precision Bass

malte365

Hi,

I recently bought a Fender JV Precision Bass and I want to know some things about it.

It's a 57 reissue.

Serial: JV059xx

It has a little "Made in Japan" behind the Fender Logo.

Neck Date: 1982

Neck Pocket: 1982 and a red 'A' Stamp

Pickguard: 1983 and CTS Pots ( I was able to check the numbers)

Does anyone know what model it is? And what does the 'A' Stamp mean? also why is the pickguard a different date then the rest of it?

Cheers,

Malte

24580985_1426577760724732_360087266_n.jpg

Edited by malte365

Like pretty much all modern production basses the various parts (bodies, necks, pickguards, electronics etc) were fabricated separately before the whole bass was assembled on a factory line system.

It's entirely possible that a body and neck that were crafted in mid or late 82 could end up being assembled with a pickguard that was made in 83.

Or it may not be the original guard, no way of knowing really.

Edited by Cato

1 hour ago, malte365 said:

Hi,

It's a 57 reissue.

Does anyone know what model it is? 

Cheers,

Malte

24580985_1426577760724732_360087266_n.jpg

You've actually answered your own question, it is indeed a 57 Reissue - often known as a PB57- with a number after such as 70 or 85 which suggested the retail price at the time in Yen, e.g 70,000 or 85,000 - the higher price models getting the better specifications.

Hi thanks for your answers.

As far as I know there were the PB57-70 and PB57-95 Model. I think you can tell the difference by looking at the neck pocket. On an other forum someone said that the 'A' Stamp indicates to the Topline Stratocaster. I think its the same with the Basses. I just wanted to be sure.

I had a 57 JV - big Fender logo, small 'squier series', bought it the same month the review in 'International Musician and Recording World' came out - August 1982 IIRC.  All the ones I saw were white PG and two colour sunburst (I think the first run also had a 62 Precision and a 62 Jazz both 3TSB and tort guards?).  I'm assuming the gold guard (assuming it's not aftermarket) means it's a domestic. 

Edited by martthebass

I have a big Fender Logo PB57 which I have had from new in 1982.  The original pick guard was single ply white, and the bass was not supplied with pickup or bridge covers.  I would suggest these, and the gold pick guard were added later (mine now has a gold guard, but I still have the original tags and parts!)

A couple of months later I bought another, this time a Squier logo'd one, a salmon pink PB62, which had a rosewood fingerboard and brown tort guard.  it wasn't as playable as the PB57, so I sold it a couple of years later... 

Edited by MoJoKe

It' s difficult to be affirmative without some detail pics... but, based on what malte365 says, the bass might be a Fender JV PB57-95 model

95 means 95000Yens of the time on the japanese catalog; it' s one the highest grade Fender (not squier) domestic japan

And in this case, the gold pickguard, nitro body finish, and fullerton USA pickups are original