Why become a member? ×

What’s the Bassline that you really had to work at

Toddy17

Here’s something that interests me, did you have a Bassline thrown at you, that you really had to work on,, mine was “Just a Girl by No Doubt “ Really struggled, but once nailed felt I had really turned a corner,,and improved my playing in a step change,,,same with some Skunk Anansie stuff,,Twisted is a beach...

The guitarist I play with writes songs containing some dodgy guitar riffs including hammer-ons, pull-offs, pushes, slides and generally too many notes. . . . and then wants me to play them in unison. . . . and then counts the song in too fast when we're on the gig!!!

Apart from that I don't get stressed by bass lines. Work them out, practice slowly then speed up.

I did feel pretty satisfied when I put together good slap-less versions of Let's Get Serious and Uptown Funk.

Our current drummer did Tom Sawyer in another band, and singist/KB said...'I know that' and knocked off the solo riff, so me and the guitarist ran off and practiced like buggery, met up next rehearsal feeling pleased with ourselves until we can to that middle bit...we all played it, but slightly different ( it's supposed to be in unison)..methinks its gonna be a while before we gig THAT one!

My poor fingers just cant track quick enough at the moment!

Love Rush and have to practice hard to nail any of it.  The one that is still defeating me is Starship Trooper by Yes.  In fact just writing this makes me want to put my toys back in the pram and have another go!

that widdly bit in the break in 'you can call me al' -  im told it is rerecorded backwards with envelope effects or so me such so you can only play something that sounds close effects wise  - its one of those things that when broken down is deceptively simple but the second part is the first part but inside out and upside down and the more you actively think about it the more it wants to fk up your ear/brain/finger coordination - best to learn very slowly in pieces until you can play it purely from muscle memory without thinking at all

9 hours ago, ribbetingfrog said:

Keeping the No Doubt connection, i’m Learning It’s My Life by Talk Talk.

Toughest bassline i’ve Learned yet but i’ll definitely level up as a player once I get it.

lovely bassline, am looking forward to wowing our fans when we gig it ??

I had to learnt that one a couple of months back, great bass line and a pleasing number when we nailed it. It never seemed to go down that well with audiences though. Although other musicians always seemed impressed. 

This gave me some serious gip at first. Still does. Just when I think yep got this , there's another little great run I haven't quite got. we gig this now and it took me some 6 weeks of constant practicing it  before it was even close but...its getting there. This guy in the YT clip has it really sorted. You have to detune half a step to play in record key. We are lucky that our singer actually wanted it up a semi tone so i can play it in normal tuning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Got to be Rhythm Stick. Loads of effort to get it down and then the band decided they didn't want to do it.

Been here.  Whats funny is which ever band I have been in that has ever done this: "can we drop this tune because I don't think ect ect....." I've noticed they cant actually play it very well themselves.  Idiots and amateurs.  The lot of them.xD

Band I helped out wanted to do  'I Want You Back' by the Jackson Five.  Good fun to work out, and a nice warm-up piece.

Sadly, they never got as far as doing it after I spent ages mastering the whole thing. I left shortly after, and have now forgot how to play it!

Related story - guitarist in my little band learnt the solo in The Carpenters' Goodbye To Love note for note for his ex-function band.  At the rehearsal they were due to run through it one of the singers said - 'I've chatted with the other girls and we don't want to do this now.'  Notice my use of the word 'ex' in relation to the band :)