Why become a member? ×

Bass Through PA - Again - & Going Ampless - Please Simplify Things For Me!

spongebob

I'd think a Barefaced 10 would be more than enough. I've gigged with a Hartke single 10 (in a Kickback  combo) and it was easily adequate. This is a much lesser beast than the BF so you'll be fine. It might be worth getting a stand so you can tilt it to point at you

Thanks Phil.

The BF certainly looks a contender....I emailed BF, and they confirmed that the One10 is the equal of a 2x10 or 1x15....so that would fit really well.

Just leaves the XLR from the head to PA if needs be..... although as yet with my 1x15 (and previous 2x10), I never needed to. But I think I'd carry the lead as an option.....

I've been going through the PA for years if you are planning on monitoring through a wedge it's also worth checking that you have enough monitor sends on your desk so that you can have bass only or a mix of your taste without sharing with others in the band.

I've thought about in-ears the connection that I haven't yet made is getting from the desk to the in-ears with control of what I'm hearing, but I'm more interested in exploring this than an additional cab.

3 minutes ago, No lust in Jazz said:

I've been going through the PA for years if you are planning on monitoring through a wedge it's also worth checking that you have enough monitor sends on your desk so that you can have bass only or a mix of your taste without sharing with others in the band.

I've thought about in-ears the connection that I haven't yet made is getting from the desk to the in-ears with control of what I'm hearing, but I'm more interested in exploring this than an additional cab.

Re: inears, a lot of digital mixers have access to the auxes via your iPhone, iPad or Android tablet. This enables you to do your own mix independent of foh, remotely from where you are standing.

basically, anything you want to hear, put into the desk and then mix on an aux (or two for stereo) to sent to your ears - either via a wired or wireless route. There's loads of info in the big inears thread in the Accessories area of this forum if you are interested. 

Edited by EBS_freak

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Re: inears, a lot of digital mixers have access to the auxes via your iPhone, iPad or Android tablet. This enables you to do your own mix independent of foh, remotely from where you are standing.

basically, anything you want to hear, put into the desk and then mix on an aux (or two for stereo) to sent to your ears - either via a wired or wireless route. There's loads of info in the big inears thread in the Accessories area of this forum if you are interested. 

Thanks - I'll take a look.

2 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Jot down what you've got, speakers, mixer, power amps, monitors etc and post them in here and we can argue I mean discuss the possible outcome. 

Thanks for that - will do.

Just remembered we're using the practice room PA tonight - but I'll be sure to get our details at Friday's gig.

I'm impressed at what Alex at BF said, though - if the One10 does the same as my 1x15, that'll be fine for our band. PA capability would be a bonus, as in the last nearly 6 years, I've not had to use it....yet. Most pubs are happier when we're not playing at ear-splitting volumes (just have to keep telling our guitarist that - he was lugging about a Marshall 4x10!)

The 2018 festival band is cool, in the fact that all the gigs have dedicated sound crews, so I'd just need enough power on stage to monitor my bass, as there's stage monitors as well for the band mix.

Re: individual control for IEMs, we use nine of these...

https://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/In-Ear-Monitor-Systems/P1/p/P0AZM

Used in dual mono, with one earhole as a me, one as a mix. The 'me' part coming either locally (i.e. parallel output) or an insert out from the desk aside from the output aux. ut then we do that because we run out of auxes.  If you had enough for one each, super!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the tardy response - waiting to get back to see the gear.

Here's a photo of the PA head - the speakers I couldn't get a decent shot of....they're pretty average looking Peavey's, no sub.

I'm hoping i'll never need to DI out to this, as up to now it's never been an issue. This thing has always looked a bit sci-fi to me!

IMG_20171217_180246.jpg

35 minutes ago, spongebob said:

Apologies for the tardy response - waiting to get back to see the gear.

Here's a photo of the PA head - the speakers I couldn't get a decent shot of....they're pretty average looking Peavey's, no sub.

I'm hoping i'll never need to DI out to this, as up to now it's never been an issue. This thing has always looked a bit sci-fi to me!

IMG_20171217_180246.jpg

The problem with a desk like this is that it only has a single monitor mix available so you'll need something of your own on stage anyway, it's not going to do a great bass mix without some kind of sansamp in front of it either depending on what you want, I don't mind a totally unprocessed bass live tbh.

In a worst case scenario, would an XLR from amp head to jack just provide a bit more, ahem, 'umph' if ever needed? This set up is pub gigs only.

I'm hoping it'll not be necessary, as the bigger 2018 gigs will have sound crews, so my cab can be run just as a monitor.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the One10 the other week...it'll have to do the job, as the change of car is happening in a couple of weeks!

Thinking about getting a powered FRFR speaker to run my POD HD500x through instead of an amp, but also thinking of a combo too. Using the rehearsal room's old Peavey rig at the moment, and have an old Hartke head & 2x10 for gigs when they arrive

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

The only things you have to consider are

1- monitoring (wedge, small rig or IEM

2 - are your foh pa speakers actually up to the job of putting the bass out as well as the rest of the stuff that has to go through then.

Monitoring would be key. 

For me I can hear my bass through the monitors during sound check. But after the first set when the guitarists have turned up to 11, forget it.

Blue

24 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Monitoring would be key. 

For me I can hear my bass through the monitors during sound check. But after the first set when the guitarists have turned up to 11, forget it.

Blue

Thats where education has to come in - quieter on stage sounds, let the PA do the work. Less bleed into the mic, less stage rumble... better sound out front for the punters and less chance of you going deaf.

But as I said, that is where education has to come in.

13 hours ago, steantval said:

Have you looked at a Peugeot RCZ, my wife had the 2 litre diesel top spec one, reasonably quick and economical.

It has a large boot for a 2+2 and you can also drop the "rear seats" , you would have no problem getting some bass gear in it.

I didn't to be honest, it not really my thing. Not a Peugeot fan!

Mine's a Mercedes Benz SLK 350, with the 3.5 litre V6. I don't do practical or economical! :crazy: