Why become a member? ×

Your favourite rock and jazz albums of all time?

Al Krow

Picking favourites is impossible, there is so much great music out there so I've gone for things I haven't seen posted yet - something rock, something jazz and something recent

Masters Of Reality - s/t

Esbjorn Svensson Trio - Viaticum

Bombay Bicycle Club - A Different Kind Of Fix

On 21/01/2018 at 14:46, Al Krow said:

The Damned - The Black Album. Damn (excuse the pun) they were good! I'd completely forgotten about them and this bl**dy good album of theirs. Right I'd best check your other two recommendations pdq also then :) 

Hope you did and hope you liked them?

Bass player on The Black album  (Paul Gray) is also on the Eddie & The Hot Rods album

Strict interpretation of the brief removes two ‘can’t live without albums’ and a ‘Desert Island’ selection would have at least given a maximum of eight sources so this will be tough...

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Karl Seglem - NyeSongar.no

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

(I’d like to swap Firth of Fifth with the live version on Seconds Out)

On 26/01/2018 at 14:22, pst62 said:

Hope you did and hope you liked them?

Bass player on The Black album  (Paul Gray) is also on the Eddie & The Hot Rods album

Hopefully got a bit more free time coming up in February and will be definitely be making some time to listen to some of the great suggestions (including yours) on this thread.

16 hours ago, skb558 said:

Strict interpretation of the brief removes two ‘can’t live without albums’ and a ‘Desert Island’ selection would have at least given a maximum of eight sources so this will be tough...

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Karl Seglem - NyeSongar.no

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

(I’d like to swap Firth of Fifth with the live version on Seconds Out)

Ok you've got me wondering what the two 'can't live without albums' are? :) 

• Like 1

Difficult one this as I've got so many, but here's a few:

Rock:

Sound Affects - The Jam / Street Fighting Years - Simple Minds / Darkness on the Edge of Town - Springsteen / Quadrophenia - The Who.

Jazz:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis / Giant Steps - John Coltrane / One of a Kind - Bruford / Where We Come From - Vital Information.

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hopefully got a bit more free time coming up in February and will be definitely be making some time to listen to some of the great suggestions (including yours) on this thread.

Ok you've got me wondering what the two 'can't live without albums' are? :) 

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

Lambchop - Is A Woman

:D

Favourite Jazz has to be David Torn's Cloud About Mercury album. I bought it purely on impulse because of the other names on the sleeve (Levin/Bruford/Isham), and the weird trippy album cover. It's experimental fusion w/ a strong world influence in parts, always mindblowing but never not tasteful. Probably not for everyone but I think it's very special.

Also love Tutu by Miles Davis, one that seems to divide opinions/ be quite underrated IMO.

Rock, impossible to choose but I'm getting mad into Fields of the Nephilim again these days. Tony Pettit, probably the best bassist of that style. Love Under Will, Psychonaut, so many huge basslines that just drive the entire song and absolutely make it.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'm going to be on the road a fair bit more for the foreseeable so I'm going have a chance to work through some of your suggestions (starting tomorrow morning!)

So I'd love to hear from you if you have any updates to your previous posts on this thread or if you've not posted on here before, what your top 3 albums of all time are. 

Kamasi Washington (sax), Makaya McCraven (drums), Marquis Hill (trumpet), Christian Sands (piano - he plays in a trio with Christian McBride on bass) are my favourite jazzers at the moment.

Rock? Nothing new these days.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Jethro Tull's Aqualung.  So many styles, great lyrics, Anderson coming of age as a songwriter and Barre coming of age as a guitarist. I love every note.

And it pains me to say that I don't really dig jazz.

Ah Jethro Tull, flautist extraordinaire and a matching wild eyed stare.

A sound harkening back to my yoof... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, krispn said:

Kamasi Washington’s bassist Miles Mosley can only be described as playing Uprighteous bass! Testify!

Can't argue with that! I had the pleasure of hearing and meeting the great man himself at the Jazz Cafe in Camden a little while back. Pic of his rig and pedalboard below :) 

Rig - Miles Mosley.jpg

Pedal Board - Miles Mosley.jpg

• Like 2

Hopeless with favourites, but here are three that I highly recommend. The first I only just discovered and is super obscure, I don't know if it's available anywhere except youtube but needs a shout as its rare gold  -

From - Power On! (German psych-era Miles meets Neu meets Mahavishnu)

Kompost 3 - Epigenesis (Incredible Austrian hip new-wave jazz)

Kamchatka - Volume II (Swedish power trio , a perfect album)

Edited by Cathode_Follower
  • Like 3

On 20/10/2019 at 09:39, Al Krow said:

Can't argue with that! I had the pleasure of hearing and meeting the great man himself at the Jazz Cafe in Camden a little while back. Pic of his rig and pedalboard below :) 

Rig - Miles Mosley.jpg

Pedal Board - Miles Mosley.jpg

I'm surprised by the pedal board as his playing on Kamasi's albums always sounds pure and un effected .... did he use it a lot live ?

6 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

I'm surprised by the pedal board as his playing on Kamasi's albums always sounds pure and un effected .... did he use it a lot live ?

Yup, his tap dancing skills were consummate. 

But in a studio you have an armoury of sound engineering and editing which is not going to be available to you with a live rig that is essentially back line. 

• Like 1