Why become a member? ×

Your favourite rock and jazz albums of all time?

Al Krow

On 03/12/2017 at 14:13, Al Krow said:

Guys,

I'm looking for some inspirational listening ideas from my fellow BCers. Kinda feels there's a whole bunch of great music out there, much of which I've never come across and would really enjoy / benefit from having a listen to. I appreciate that albums are less and less a 'thing' these days with the advent of downloads, but it's still a great (and perhaps continues to be the best) recorded music format, right?

So I thought it might interesting and educational if you could have a think about what your TOP THREE albums of all time would be? The ones which, if all music was banned in your households apart from these three albums, you would still want to keep!

Look forward to getting your suggestions!

AK

Now that this thread is no longer competing with the favourite albums of 2017 (which rightfully took priority as the year end approached), I'm going to take the liberty of giving this thread a little NYD bump! 

I did promise, if we got to 100 responses of top 3 albums, that I would collate our BC all time favourites, which I'm still happy to do. I think we are about 15 or so away from that target, so nearly there and so please get your thinking caps on, if you've not already contributed and would like to do so... :)

rock: Yes: Close to the Edge

jazz: Miles Davis: beaches Brew ------- Edit: profanity filter at work! It's really B I T C H E S . B R E W

Gazillions of other faves, but these two have a special place to me due to their place in my personal music history.

Edited by BassTractor

1 hour ago, BassTractor said:

rock: Yes: Close to the Edge

jazz: Miles Davis: beaches beaches Brew

Gazillions of others are faves, but these two have a special place in my heart due to their place in my personal music history.

Ah, those memories of tea under the pier at Brighton, eh..? We all have 'em. ;)

OK, I see it now. An even better joke. It's our old friend, the Cuss Protector at work..! Nice one..! xD I tried, I really did. :$

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Ah, those memories of tea under the pier at Brighton, eh..? We all have 'em. ;)

OK, I see it now. An even better joke. It's our old friend, the Cuss Protector at work..! Nice one..! xD I tried, I really did. :$

IMHO profanity filters stem from a kind of philosophy that I strongly disagree with, to put it very, very mildly. 

I love your "tea under the pier ar Brighton" though. :)

Edited by BassTractor
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

IMHO profanity filters stem from a kind of philosophy that I strongly disagree with...

What about the children..? Who's going to think of the children..? 9_9 

:D

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

Come on there are like five (tops) BCers under the age of 25 who regularly visit. The rest of them are on fBook and out partying.

I vote get rid of the blood*y profanity filters. We're all grown ups, even the 'kids' :P

Personally, I don't see why cussing is needed in written text, nor conversation, at all. I'll make (slight...) exception for when a heavy engine part falls on one's foot, for example, and maybe (just maybe..?) for some (rare...) comic effect; other than that, there are, in my view, plenty enough decent words for expressing one's sentiments.

And no, it's not a religious things, nor ignorance of the wide panoply of uncouth expressions that do abound; simply that I find such language to be mostly puerile, weak and generally not nice to read or listen to. I'm quite used to being alone in my views, though.

Still, it takes all sorts,  I suppose. :|

All time - that is always tricky isn't it, as it is coloured by what you are currently listening to.

I guess my all time ones aren't going to help with any stats

Genesis - Trick of the tail

Iron Maiden - Live after Death (I am not sure I even have a copy of this any more!)

Rush.. oh, oh.. pick one.. oh well, its got to be 2112 (even if it is not the one I would generally listen to as much).

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/12/2017 at 19:57, Quatschmacher said:

And still no one has mentioned Joni Mitchell. The amount of good music in the world is mind-blowing, which is why I find it astonishing when people spend so much time listening to absolute shite. (I’m not referring to anything or anyone mentioned above, just to be clear.)

I seem to be in a huge minority, but I don’t like Joni Mitchell, hence why she’s not on my list. ;-)

FWIW, I don’t believe in good and bad music, only music you like and music you don’t. I’ve never grasped why someone should feel in the right for liking band (a) over band (b). Does the same apply with flavours of crisps? Because it makes as much sense.

29 minutes ago, 4000 said:

FWIW, I don’t believe in good and bad music, only music you like and music you don’t. I’ve never grasped why someone should feel in the right for liking band (a) over band (b). Does the same apply with flavours of crisps? Because it makes as much sense.

My tuppeny grenades in response, if I may!

Is it fair to say that if you can't understand a word that a death metal vocalist utters it's not really singing?

Was Led Zepplin a better band than Al Krow's two covers bands ever will be? Well on just about every definition going, yes.

There's great rock (and jazz) music and then there's noise. And plenty of stuff in between.

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My tuppeny grenades in response, if I may!

Is it fair to say that if you can't understand a word that a death metal vocalist utters it's not really singing?

Was Led Zepplin a better band than Al Krow's two covers bands ever will be? Well on just about every definition going, yes.

There's great rock (and jazz) music and then there's noise. And plenty of stuff in between.

Please don't take any of this personally, they are just reasoned responses to your grenades and, of course, just an opinion...

The OED defines singing as...

To articulate or utter words or sounds in succession with musical inflections or modulations of the voice, so as to produce an effect entirely different from that of ordinary speech; spec. to do this in a skilled manner, as the result of training and practice.

...although the definition neither mentions the need for the words to be understandable nor defines what the definition means by skilled manner I don't really think the definition is tight enough to exclude death metal singers simply because the words are difficult to discern.

Hence the unfortunate idea that a set of applied definitions confers quality. IMHO Led Zepplin aren't a better band that The Spice Girls and Tom Waites isn't a better artist than Black Lace. I prefer Led Zepplin to The Spice Girls (admittedly by a surprisingly narrow margin) and I prefer Tom Waites to Black Lace but to just say better and by definition are giving some bands inherent superiority over others and I don't think that's really possible. It can only ever be subjective, surely?

It is all just noise, we apply the words, I just applied noise in a broader way that you did, equally the words rock, jazz, great and stuff are applied words and that application is wholly subjective. My Dad would have called System Of A Down noise and never have referred to SOADs vocalist as a singer. We apply the words and when lots of us apply the words great singer they become, by definition, a great singer but I do not think that makes Frank Sinatra inherently any superior to Serj Tankian.

I'm only saying this because it's a thing, in society, in groups generally and it is something I find in musical circles particularly, that there is a general consensus that some kind of music or artist is actually better than another and that's fine but then people ridicule others because they may not hold the same orthodoxy and then they belittle those who like (what the others perceive as) inferior (I am not saying you are doing this whatsoever btw) and that isn't a good thing IMHO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Please don't take any of this personally, they are just reasoned responses to your grenades and, of course, just an opinion...

The opposite Frank. The purpose of a 'thought grenade' is to explode existing 'stuck in the mud' views by hopefully getting us to challenge each other (nicely!) on preconceptions. So I really liked your considered response - thank you.

However there is such a thing as objective truth, is there not?

The speed of light in a vacuum. Mathematical proofs. And the fact that Led Zepplin ARE better than the Spice Girls. If you're not sure that is an objective truth, please just ask any of the Spice Girls.

13 minutes ago, pst62 said:

UFO - Strangers In The Night.

Eddie & The Hot Rods - Life On The Line.

The Damned - The Black Album.

The Damned - The Black Album. Damn (excuse the pun) they were good! I'd completely forgotten about them and this bl**dy good album of theirs. Right I'd best check your other two recommendations pdq also then :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

The opposite Frank. The purpose of a 'thought grenade' is to explode existing 'stuck in the mud' views by hopefully getting us to challenge each other (nicely!) on preconceptions. So I really liked your considered response - thank you.

However there is such a thing as objective truth, is there not?

The speed of light in a vacuum. Mathematical proofs. And the fact that Led Zepplin ARE better than the Spice Girls. If you're not sure that is an objective truth, please just ask any of the Spice Girls.

I do not believe in objective truth nor, it appears, is the speed of light a constant even in vacuum conditions. Led Zepplin are possibly better than The Spice Girls but it isn't, IMHO, a fact.

Christ on a bike, I have just realised I'm harping on about the objective/subjective dichotomy of music in this thread when I've not even listed my favourite three albums, I do apologise and here they are...

Metal Box - Public Image Ltd

Dirk Wears White Sox - Adam and the Ants

Cut - The Slits

Edited by Frank Blank
Grammar correction

Another vote for Made in Japan. Another vote for Graceland because it is the best album ever made.

"Happy trails" by Quicksilver Messenger Service.

And, simply because it's survived on my mp3 player for over 5 years without getting deleted, and gets listened to a lot - Nazareth's greatest hits.

Finally, because greatest hits don't count, John Martyn "Solid Air"