Why become a member? ×

Your favourite rock and jazz albums of all time?

Al Krow

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I take it you're an Iron Maiden fan! :)  So would these be in your top thee as well?

So @Bilbo and @JamesBass go on be bold, if you had to choose three from your list of 9 or 8 which would it be?!

I think we're getting pretty close to 100 'top 3s' following which I'll keep my promise of pulling together a BCer's all time favourite album list for us in case it's of interest to more than just me!

Today it’d be: 

Kind of Blue

Songs in the key of life 

Thing of Gold

On 04/12/2017 at 10:54, Al Krow said:

Loving this guys. What's kinda interesting is both what different / eclectic tastes we have (I guess no real surprise) but also starting to see a few albums get mentioned more than once already.

So in return for all of this wonderful musical chocolate box selection if we get to around 100 responses between us, I'll return the favour by trawling through everyone's responses and seeing if there is an emergent BC hall of fame in terms of favourite albums of all time. Rolling Stone magazine eat your heart out: this is a musicians' and not a music critic's list! :) 

I’ve deliberately picked stuff no one has mentioned so far. All the Mingus, Miles, Parliament, Funkadelic, RHCP, Pearl Jam, GnR, Bootsy albums listed were also contenders. Glad it didn’t include classical stuff too otherwise it’d have been even more difficult. 

6 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’ve deliberately picked stuff no one has mentioned so far. All the Mingus, Miles, Parliament, Funkadelic, RHCP, Pearl Jam, GnR, Bootsy albums listed were also contenders. Glad it didn’t include classical stuff too otherwise it’d have been even more difficult. 

Lol! In which case your esoteric stuff is not going to feature in our collective best of list, my dear Q, when I come to tally. But because of your recent hand injury I think you should be allowed another post with your three real favourites and not just the ones no one else is ever going to list :) 

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Lol! In which case your esoteric stuff is not going to feature in our collective best of list, my dear Q, when I come to tally. But because of your recent hand injury I think you should be allowed another post with your three real favourites and not just the ones no one else is ever going to list :) 

As I said, these are 3 of my real favourites. I just have more than 3. The Chris Potter album I listened to 3 times daily for three months solid when I got it. The AC album not quite as much but it wasn’t far off. And “Kind Folks” off the KW album is a melody that still makes me weep when I even think about it.

Also, I thought that part of the point was to get a list of stuff that people ought to listen to. Therefore mentioning albums already mentioned seemed counterproductive. (Twist my arm and I might replace KW with “Mothership Connection” though. I remember dancing around my living room with my infant son in my arms the first time I heard that album.)

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

And still no one has mentioned Joni Mitchell. The amount of good music in the world is mind-blowing, which is why I find it astonishing when people spend so much time listening to absolute shite. (I’m not referring to anything or anyone mentioned above, just to be clear.)

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Check out some of Chris Potter solo transcriptions on YouTube. Terrific transcriptions, great for chop practice.?

Makes a change from the Parker Omni Book.

Indeed. I learned a couple of his solos by listening to them on cd over and over until I got them down. 

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

And still no one has mentioned Joni Mitchell...

How right you are; I'd be glad to rectify that. Three that I listen to very regularly, and which have absolutely no duff track..?

Court And Spark

The Hissing Of Summer Lawns

Hejira

There are others, but as we're only allowed three, I'll, with regret, let slide 'Taming The Tiger', 'Blue', Clouds', 'Songs To A Seagull', 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter', 'Mingus', 'Ladies Of The Canyon', ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

How right you are; I'd be glad to rectify that. Three that I listen to very regularly, and which have absolutely no duff track..?

Court And Spark

The Hissing Of Summer Lawns

Hejira

There are others, but as we're only allowed three, I'll, with regret, let slide 'Taming The Tiger', 'Blue', Clouds', 'Songs To A Seagull', 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter', 'Mingus', 'Ladies Of The Canyon', ...

Yep, “Edith and the Kingpin” and “The Hissing of Summer Lawns” are outstanding tracks.

Many of these albums can be listened to in their entirety on youtube. 

14 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Indeed. I learned a couple of his solos by listening to them on cd over and over until I got them down. 

Haha...Brings back memories. In my youth at college I would do that with Brecker solos on a Sony Walkman (on Cassette tape).

Not sure why though....:D

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite jazz album is probably Jazz Pa Svenka by Jan Johansson. Fantastic, simple and timeless. As for something modern, I really enjoyed The Epic by Kamasi Washington. Ambitious as hell at 3 hours but brilliant more often that not.

Picking a rock album is fairly impossible. I'm currently listening to Tool's 10,000 Days so I'll go with that purely because I'm still finding new things to love about it 11 years on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, progben said:

My favourite jazz album is probably Jazz Pa Svenka by Jan Johansson. Fantastic, simple and timeless.

Oh! Luvverly choice! Are you aware of the other two in the same series? In case, they're "Jazz på ryska" with Arne Domnérus and Georg Riedel, and "Jazz på ungerska" with Svend Asmussen.

I think I remember loving two of the three mostly, but "Jazz på svenska" was the first and will remain a fave of sorts as it introduced me to that style.

BTW, "svenska" means Swedish, "ryska" means Russian, and "ungerska" means Hungarian.

Favourites for me at the moment...

Rock albums:

At The Drive In - Relationship of Command

Third Eye Blind - (self titled debut)

King Crimson -Lark's Tongue in Aspic

Jazz albums:

Dylan Ryan Sand - Sky Bleached

Jaga Jazzist - What We Must

Kneebody - Anti Hero

I've tried to avoid some of the ones already mentioned which are of course bloody awesome!!

While we're talking favourite jazz albums, let's stick in a few more in addition to the James Carter one that I mentioned earlier:

Bill Laswell - Panthalassa (Bill's remixes of beaches Brew with bits of Agharta by Miles Davis)

Jacques Loussier - Play Bach (all of them)

Ron Carter - Blues Farm

Ivan Boogaloo Jones - Black Whip

Ornette Coleman -  Of Human Feelings

Jamaaladeen Tacuma - Dreamscape

Hiromi's Sonic Bloom - Time Difference

Headless Torsos - Amandala