Why become a member? ×

Your favourite rock and jazz albums of all time?

Al Krow

Alter Bridge - Blackbird

Queensryche - Empire

Hughes Thrall - Hughes Thrall

All rock, sorry.....

Hughes Thrall is a bit under the radar but its probably one of the best rock albums ever released imho - great band...

32 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Alter Bridge - Blackbird

Queensryche - Empire

Hughes Thrall - Hughes Thrall

All rock, sorry.....

Hughes Thrall is a bit under the radar but its probably one of the best rock albums ever released imho - great band...

Hughes & Thrall I'd completely forgotten all about that album. Has to be Glenn Hughes best album in my opinion. Great choice.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Oh,  I’ve whittled it down to four and I can’t choose between them so here goes...

• Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous. But if only studio albums were to count I’d choose Jailbreak
  • Electric Light Orchestra - Out Of The Blue. So many great pop songs on that album, and not just the ones you know.
  • Horslips - The Book Of Invasions (probably - The Tain would be a close run thing). Folk influenced  Celtic rock from the 70s.
  • Tribes, Scribes and Vibes - Incognito. Not a single less than amazing track on it. Perfect acid jazz and funk with some sublime playing from  Randy Hope-Taylor!

Sorry, sorry... FIVE! Five albums! I can whittle it down to five albums. How could I have forgotten this one? One of my all time favourite albums. My all time favourite guitar player. A band that features a teenage Simon Phillips on drums, John G Perry of Caravan on Wal bass, Morris Peart on percussion... Plus one of the UK’s most accomplished fingerstyle folk guitarists rocking in full on prog mode...

• Gordon Giltrap - Fear Of The Dark

9 hours ago, 4000 said:

Studio albums would be:

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

Moonmadness by Camel

and probably And Then There Were Three by Genesis

Nice to see Moonmadness get a mention!  Means I still have 3 :)

Albums from my life, that even now get regular Airplay

Tubular Bells...natch

Fields of the Nephilim....The Nephilim, and...

Curved Air, Air Cut, can't find whole album on Youtube, so here is a taster.  Its the rockiest album they ever did, mainly because Darryl Way had bailed by this point, and its a Cracker, thanks to Eddie Jobson and Kirby Gregory's input, probably my favouritsist album...evah!!!

9 hours ago, 4000 said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

This is fooking gorgeous I shall look into it further!!

Gordon did three prog albums in the 70s - all great but this is my absolute fave (Perilous Journey and Visionary are the others). His more recent fingerstyle stuff is great too. Check out Last Of England and Shining Morn.

Difficult to choose just three, but I never tire of these....some of the funkiest happiest make you dance music ever... 

Parliament: "Mothership Connection"  

Bootsy's Rubber Band... "Stretchin' Out In... " or "Ahh..The Name is Bootsy Baby!"  (can't choose!) 

James Brown: "Funk Power 1970: A Brand New Thang" 

Just outside of the top three (for today at least!) :

Stevie Wonder "Songs In the Key of Life" 

Roy Ayers "Destination Motherland" 

Isaac Hayes "Black Moses" 

Funkadelic "One Nation Under A Groove" 

Parliament "Funkentelechy vs the Placebo Syndrome" 

Bootsy: "Player of the Year" and "World Wide Funk" 

Erykah Badu "Mama's Gun" 

• Like 3

@Bo0tsy ...cheers buddy. But so much for getting you to select your best three! I can see that your choice of favourite albums is similar to your restrained choice of filter pedals, right? :D Go on push yourself, if you had to choose your favourite three from that list which would you go for?

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Bo0tsy ...cheers buddy. But so much for getting you to select your best three! I can see that your choice of favourite albums is similar to your restrained choice of filter pedals, right? :D Go on push yourself, if you had to choose your favourite three from that list which would you go for?

Ha ha, yes my love of envelope filters is directly linked to my love of 70's funk and all things funky. If I was really limited to just the three it'd be "Mothership Connection" , "Funk Power 1970" , and I'd go with "Aah The Name is Bootsy" album (because the funk ballads "What's in a Telephone Bill" and "Munchies for your Love" are two of my all time favourite songs. 

Edited by Bo0tsy

@Bo0tsy cheers for being a good sport and yup I will be adding my own top three too, for sure - just as soon as I've had chance to get this report I've promised to do, out the door...and haha yes, even as I think about it, it's going to be a challenge to narrow it down to three. Lol! 

Edited by Al Krow

Some of the previous suggestions would make my list, but here are three that I never get tired of listening to:

- Bill Evans - Live at the Village Vanguard

- Miles Davis - Miles Smiles (any of the other "second quintet" albums would do instead)

- Velvet Underground and Nico

U2 - Achtung Baby (the sanctimonius Irish rocking tax avoiders at their best)

Queen - A Night at the Opera (with one of the most beautiful love songs plus perhaps the most admired single of all time?)

Beatles - Please Please Me (the album that was the start of changing everything in rock and pop music)

If the Stone Roses had done their two albums as a double album, that would have made my 'current' list for sure and I just couldn't choose between the various Led Zepplin masterpieces! 

• Like 1

Jazz:

Bass Instincts by Marc Johnson 

Landmarks by Joe Lovano

Identities are Changeable by Miguel Zenon.

Conference of the Bird's by Dave Holland.

Feels Good to Me by Bruford 

Rock:

Seconds Out by Genesis 

Going For the One by Yes

Permanent Waves by Rush

Marauder by Magnum

demons and wizards   /   Uriah heep    just love Gary Thains bass 

dark side of the moon     /   by someone whos name I cant quite recall :biggrin:

made in japan  /    deep purple  just play it loud     in fact just play everything louder than everything else !

Far too many great albums to list just three but, some of my favourites are:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis 

Headhunters - Herbie Hancock 

Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder 

Aja - Steely Dan

Voodoo - D’Angelo 

Tell Your Friends - Snarky Puppy 

Thing of Gold - Snarky Puppy 

The Beautiful Game - Vulfpeck 

there’s 8 for you, all or most draw from multiple genres so it’s a real mixed bag! 

5 hours ago, SH73 said:

To my ears. This  is the best sounding Maiden album. It sounds raw and pure. The drums are amazing. I remember listening to  vinyl  version. Mindblowing!

I take it you're an Iron Maiden fan! :)  So would these be in your top thee as well?

So @Bilbo and @JamesBass go on be bold, if you had to choose three from your list of 9 or 8 which would it be?!

I think we're getting pretty close to 100 'top 3s' following which I'll keep my promise of pulling together a BCer's all time favourite album list for us in case it's of interest to more than just me!

20 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Jazz:

Bass Instincts by Marc Johnson 

Landmarks by Joe Lovano

Identities are Changeable by Miguel Zenon.

Conference of the Bird's by Dave Holland.

Feels Good to Me by Bruford 

Rock:

Seconds Out by Genesis 

Going For the One by Yes

Permanent Waves by Rush

Marauder by Magnum

Seconds Out is my favourite live album. And Going for the One contains my all-time favourite track, Awaken. Good calls.