Why become a member? ×

Your favourite rock and jazz albums of all time?

Al Krow

Not sure how you'd define rock but in it's broadest sense and stuff I regularly give a spin

House of Love debut - way better than others of their ilk like The Smiths, U2 etc

Mastodon -Once more round the sun - hard hitting, very melodic, great playing with no self indulgence

Killing Joke  - Millennium . Gotta have a Killing Joke album in any top of list

Loving this guys. What's kinda interesting is both what different / eclectic tastes we have (I guess no real surprise) but also starting to see a few albums get mentioned more than once already.

So in return for all of this wonderful musical chocolate box selection if we get to around 100 responses between us, I'll return the favour by trawling through everyone's responses and seeing if there is an emergent BC hall of fame in terms of favourite albums of all time. Rolling Stone magazine eat your heart out: this is a musicians' and not a music critic's list! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Loving this guys. What's kinda interesting is both what different / eclectic tastes we have (I guess no real surprise) but also starting to see a few albums get mentioned more than once already.

So in return for all of this wonderful musical chocolate box selection if we get to around 100 responses between us, I'll return the favour by trawling through everyone's responses and seeing if there is an emergent BC hall of fame in terms of favourite albums of all time. Rolling Stone magazine eat your heart out: this is a musicians' and not a music critic's list! :) 

Yes, it is indeed an interesting thread. As far as jazz is concerned I think it is fairly well known (at least among jazz fans) that Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" album, (which has been mentioned a few times) is an iconic one, albeit that I voted for his "Tribute to Jack Johnson" album.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Excellent, I was wondering about this very thing myself.

Sadly I'm not a big Jazz afficionado but feel I should know more about the genre.  I have a couple of CDs but not a real collection to choose from so stayed away from that part of the question :$

Are we allowing 'Best of...' albums, surely a cop out :D Some of my fav CDs are live albums but I've omitted them for the same reason in that they often/mostly cover a range of the band's output.  A truly great album should have no weak tracks which a best of or live album can easily side-step.  YMMV of course.

39 minutes ago, ead said:

Excellent, I was wondering about this very thing myself.

Sadly I'm not a big Jazz afficionado but feel I should know more about the genre.  I have a couple of CDs but not a real collection to choose from so stayed away from that part of the question :$

Are we allowing 'Best of...' albums, surely a cop out :D Some of my fav CDs are live albums but I've omitted them for the same reason in that they often/mostly cover a range of the band's output.  A truly great album should have no weak tracks which a best of or live album can easily side-step.  YMMV of course.

Haha, yes good point! I suspect 'best of' albums should NOT be allowed on this thread otherwise we could end up with a bunch of 'Now that's what I call music 35', or whatever, compilations turning up and with due respect there really isn't any educational value for any of us in that is there? :)  

I guess another way of looking at it is that selecting a 'best of' is actually more an affirmation of a particular band rather than a moment of creative musical genius, which a truly great album represents.

Best of David Bowie (early albums up to Station to Station) The one i have is a 2 disc set and i only ever play the first CD.

Seconds Out - Genesis

Lost In the New Real - Arjen Luccassen

There are so many other albums to choose from so it was a difficult choice but these are the albums i keep returning to.

Edited by dmccombe7

Oh,  I’ve whittled it down to four and I can’t choose between them so here goes...

• Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous. But if only studio albums were to count I’d choose Jailbreak
  • Electric Light Orchestra - Out Of The Blue. So many great pop songs on that album, and not just the ones you know.
  • Horslips - The Book Of Invasions (probably - The Tain would be a close run thing). Folk influenced  Celtic rock from the 70s.
  • Tribes, Scribes and Vibes - Incognito. Not a single less than amazing track on it. Perfect acid jazz and funk with some sublime playing from  Randy Hope-Taylor!

40 minutes ago, DJpullchord said:

Pills n thrills n bellyaches.-Happy Monday’s.

Seems to me that you're a big fan of Happy Mondays, but didn't particularly like their first two albums only their third? Still only counts as 'one' though! :) 

Couldn't get down to three, sorry

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin 2

Paul Simon - Graceland

Jeff Beck - Wired (closest to jazz I can get!)

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town (could have been any one of 10 or so)

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Heart - Bad Animals

No reasons behind any of these, just what comes to mind

Oh, and can I have some Beethoven, Bach and Mahler, please?

Edited by neilp

Like any good music nerd I have plenty of lists, including an all-time top-5 albums one, but only 3 of those albums have absolutely no duff tracks on them and they are: (in chronological order)

1. "Parachute" by The Pretty Things

2. "Doot-Doot" by Freur

3. "Fakevox" by Plus-Tech Squeezebox

Edited by BigRedX

On 03/12/2017 at 21:31, thepurpleblob said:

Don't care for Jazz, so....

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Tinderbox

Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern

New Model Army - Thunder and Consolation

...but that's just the tip of a very weird iceberg 

Some great albums there.

My top three would be:

The Cure - Disintegration

Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium

and just to show that I'm not a complete goth,

The Beloved - Happiness 

Although it's not quite in my top 3, you should also check out Gary Numan's new album Savage - it's surprised a lot of people and was only held off the number 1 spot in the album chart by the new Foo Fighters one.

Edited by darkandrew

5 minutes ago, darkandrew said:

...Although it's not quite in my top 3, you should also check out Gary Numan's new album Savage - it's surprised a lot of people and was only held off the number 1 spot in the album chart by the new Foo Fighters one.

Oooh thanks for that particular tip off. I'm old enough to remember enjoying Are Friends Electric and 'willing' Cars to hit the No.1 position in the charts in 1979 (although it's been typically nicked by the "80s brigade" as being one of theirs!) :) 

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/bmg-left-bemused-billboards-ludicrous-gary-numan-chart-blackball/

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh thanks for that particular tip off. I'm old enough to remember enjoying Are Friends Electric and 'willing' Cars to hit the No.1 position in the charts in 1979 (although it's been typically nicked by the "80s brigade" as being one of theirs!) :) 

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/bmg-left-bemused-billboards-ludicrous-gary-numan-chart-blackball/

I can't say I was a Numan fan back in 1979 as I thought he was completely ripping off my favourite bands of the time - The Human League, Vice-Versa and of course Ultravox, but I've mellowed since then and one to see him on this recent tour where the music was fantastic and didn't rely too much on the old hits.

Edited by BigRedX

Some albums I like:

Rage Against The Machine - well the first couple just sound great. Locked in riffing, the bass sounds massive with a great clean/dirty blend and some mad filter tones. 

Prince - Musicology I really enjoyed this album nice bass tones which can go from finger style thick to slapped and funky in one track.

Early Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. I found her vocal kept doing the same inflection thing on later releases but the early stuff grooves along nicely.

By no means exhaustive but some albums I enjoy which will probably not get a mention