Why become a member? ×

Your favourite rock and jazz albums of all time?

Al Krow

Guys,

I'm looking for some inspirational listening ideas from my fellow BCers. Kinda feels there's a whole bunch of great music out there, much of which I've never come across and would really enjoy / benefit from having a listen to. I appreciate that albums are less and less a 'thing' these days with the advent of downloads, but it's still a great (and perhaps continues to be the best) recorded music format, right?

So I thought it might interesting and educational if you could have a think about what your TOP THREE albums of all time would be? The ones which, if all music was banned in your households apart from these three albums, you would still want to keep!

Look forward to getting your suggestions!

AK

Too difficult, as they constantly change. What I will offer are three very accessible Jazz albums: The Three Sounds with Stanley Turrentine - Blue Hour, Gil Evans - Out of the Cool, and Dexter Gordon - GO.

Sorry to break your rules, but hope you like the suggestions!

Definitely Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue. The quintessential jazz album. Can - Tago Mago. Turn on, tune in and open your mind. Pretty much unclassifiable. Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland. No matter how many times I listen to this, I get the chills and am left breathless. Pure imagination, skill and talent. Still out there!

There are of course many more, but you wanted just three...

Edited by discreet

7 minutes ago, discreet said:

Definitely Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue. The quintessential jazz album. Can - Tago Mago. Turn on, tune in and open your mind. Pretty much unclassifiable. Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland. No matter how many times I listen to this, I get the chills and am left breathless. Pure imagination, skill and talent. Still out there!

There are of course many more, but you wanted just three...

Electric Ladyland was my other choice too ... oh and i forgot some Floyd ,and Dylan...hmmm

Brand X Masques - expansive outing from the UK's greatest fusion band - featuring truly astounding fretless bass from the most underrated Bassist ever...Percy Jones (I mean, come on this guy was doing that stinky poo with Eno way before Jaco ...and wwwway before Mick Karn).

Rush - Moving Pictures

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Never Mind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols

Appetite for Destruction - Guns N Roses

Chapter iV - Booze & Glory

The first two have stood the test of time for me, the last one was only released this year but it`s just got so many songs that I love on it I can`t see it not staying where it is - until B&G replace it with a newer one that I like even better that is.

• Like 1