Why become a member? ×

E above middle C string

Al Krow

Guys,

I'm trying to source an E above 'middle C' string i.e. two octaves above the low E on the bass and the next string up from the top C string on a six string bass guitar.

Plan is to have a E, A, D, G, B (detuned from C) and top E set up. You'll no doubt recognise that as being the normal 6 string electric or classical set up, but with everything an octave lower on the bass.

Any suggestions where I can get just the top E string from?

If not widely available, can I just make use of a 'normal six string' guitar D string and tune up a tone, or alternatively the G string on an acoustic six string guitar and detune by 3 semi tones?

Cheers, AK

D'addario certainly do! There's a wound 25 or you could go for either a plain 20 or a plain 18. I'd have to check abasing D'Addario's tension guide to choose the correct string for the job, or maybe @daddariouk will be along shortly to advise for your scale length!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Guest ixlramp

This top E is the F of a 7 string set detuned a semitone. There are several sources for high F strings, they are usually .022 or .020 wound, or .020 or .018 plain steel. At this gauge a wound is a little fragile due to having a thin core, so if you want to bend like crazy then choose a plain steel.

The cheapest way is to use a guitar string and thread a detached bass ferrule onto it to convert it into a bass string. I find D'Addario guitar strings (wound and plain steel) just long enough to reach the tuner post nearest the nut (assuming you have a 3+3 headstock). However a wound guitar string is made for lower tension so a wound .022 or .020 may not have a core strong enough to withstand E. But if you are going to use a plain steel this is an ideal solution (the plain steel strings are a little longer than the wounds too).

Edited by ixlramp