Why become a member? ×

BUILD OF THE YEAR 2017

TheGreek

There have been some really amazing builds this year!!

So many, in fact, that I think that we should acknowledge the craftsmanship of the builders and luthiers on this forum. Obviously I'm biased after Andy built The Psilos for me but I've also been impressed with Kert's bass and the Piccolo also built by Andy, Jabba's semi hollow, the two Mouradian alikes, just to name a few. Not sure about how others feel about including builds by "professional luthiers" like ACG and Shuker in the nominations.

Rather than set a poll on this thread I'm proposing we use this opportunity to nominate your favourite build of 2017 before starting another thread with the actual Poll. Please use the copy and paste facility to copy the previous nominations when adding yours.

So here we go:

• The Greek - The Psilos Bass built by Andyjr1515

Psilos.jpg

19 hours ago, TheGreek said:

There have been some really amazing builds this year!!

So many, in fact, that I think that we should acknowledge the craftsmanship of the builders and luthiers on this forum. Obviously I'm biased after Andy built The Psilos for me but I've also been impressed with Kert's bass and the Piccolo also built by Andy, Jabba's semi hollow, the two Mouradian alikes, just to name a few. Not sure about how others feel about including builds by "professional luthiers" like ACG and Shuker in the nominations.

Rather than set a poll on this thread I'm proposing we use this opportunity to nominate your favourite build of 2017 before starting another thread with the actual Poll. Please use the copy and paste facility to copy the previous nominations when adding yours.

So here we go:

• The Greek - The Psilos Bass built by Andyjr1515

Psilos.jpg

Well I'd like to nominate Bastav for this beauty

9SJunAH.jpg

Although the last post for it was in February, and it wasn't quite finished then, my nomination goes to Jabba the Gut for the old door and shelf just for sheer ingenuity, and skill in recycling the ordinary to make something beautiful.

A4jzh3z.jpg

Edited by Mykesbass

11 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Although the last post for it was in February, and it wasn't quite finished then, my nomination goes to Jabba the Gut for the old door and shelf just for sheer ingenuity, and skill in recycling the ordinary to make something beautiful.

A4jzh3z.jpg

Seconded.

I saw this at East Mids BB4 this year.  It was beautifully light and responsive.  Although it looked well finished to me, Jez was wanting to do some little bits to it yet.  Artists are never satisfied with their own work.

@Jabba_the_gut Have you officially finished this yet?  It should definitely be in the running.  Forum readers haven't seen it with its chromed control plate and upcycled note -book-cover pick guard screwed on yet.

Please post some up to date images?

Edited by SpondonBassed

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/12/2017 at 12:22, TheGreek said:

I agree...

I'm waiting for noms for the two Mouradians too. 

And here is one.  Andy's creation which is now my go to bass. Nearly a year old now and I have to say it has settled superbly. Dropped the action and a tweak on the trussrod- Sweet.

Has an amazing range of sounds. Both pups are switchable Parallel, series and single coil.

c_Dc_Ip_Yvh.jpg

u_Oxq3_NXh.jpg

8wu_QLq_Hh.jpg

Us_Up_ZRxh.jpg

Mes_CZy_Fl.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Jimothey said:

Is that the Harley Benton project? That looks stunning!! I love the pickguard!!

Aye, it is actually lying on my bed next to while I try and figure out which wall hanger to put it on. I've spent the evening arranging and then rearranging a few basses to make the room look less empty - I've sold some stuff recently so there's a lot of empty space on the walls at the moment.

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Another one of @Jabba_the_gut 's is my nomination:

5a4dfa65d0864_JabbaSpalted1.thumb.jpg.86904ba778cb9db47e0a2bbacfb9cd39.jpg

5a4dfa666900b_JabbaSpalted2.thumb.jpg.559f1f2a0878d448f0af3894974f78a9.jpg

5a4dfa675847f_JabbaSpalted3.thumb.jpg.718abd817b34defc072c7ad4494fd4f2.jpg

Made mostly from 'bits of timber found in a skip', if I remember correctly and unbelievably well crafted.  This was the one bass I REALLY wanted to take home at the SE Basschat Bash.  In fact, if Jez hadn't been looking....

If I remember correctly I had a little play on this at the Midlands Bass Bash and can remember saying just how pretty it was. The top is even better in person.

18 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think a build has to be an end-to-end build and, with all due respect to HB14, not something that's been flipped.  The primary criteria should be that you started with planks of wood (or tubes of steel) in your garage and did a scratch-build.

yeah I agree to be fair. I think for me either the Psilos or Gelfins Mouradian. Psilos for workmanship (although there is incredible workmanship on the Mouradian) but the finished Mouradian is a bass I could see myself playing.

It's a coinflip between them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Harryburke14 said:

yeah I agree to be fair. I think for me either the Psilos or Gelfins Mouradian. Psilos for workmanship (although there is incredible workmanship on the Mouradian) but the finished Mouradian is a bass I could see myself playing.

It's a coinflip between them.

Couldn't agree more. It would be between those two for me.

Was Orange Friday's me(n)tal orange swirly thing a 2017 build or earlier. It even out weirded the Psilos at the SE Bass Bash - and that's saying something! It does lose some points, though for seemingly being made out of dark matter.

36611505753_3db3b03db5_z.jpg

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Couldn't agree more. It would be between those two for me.

Was Orange Friday's me(n)tal orange swirly thing a 2017 build or earlier. It even out weirded the Psilos at the SE Bass Bash - and that's saying something! It does lose some points, though for seemingly being made out of dark matter.

36611505753_3db3b03db5_z.jpg

Both of these.  The PacMan LEDs on the right one were fantastic...it could only have been bettered if they were actually moving up the neck.

On 02/01/2018 at 21:55, gelfin said:

And here is one.  Andy's creation which is now my go to bass. Nearly a year old now and I have to say it has settled superbly. Dropped the action and a tweak on the trussrod- Sweet.

Has an amazing range of sounds. Both pups are switchable Parallel, series and single coil.

c_Dc_Ip_Yvh.jpg

I actually think the headstock design is nicer on this than that of the original it's drawn from.

• Like 3