Why become a member? ×

1964 Fender Jazz Bass - Sold!
£8995

Burns-bass

*Trade deal currently in progress*

I've come to a point where I'm looking to sell my 1964 Fender Jazz Bass.

It's in completely original condition (feel free to insert the superlative of your choice here). This is original to the scr ew, with the original case and pickup covers. It's a 'true' pre-CBS model with clay dots on the fretboard, super strong pickups and a genuinely fantastic build quality. 

It plays and sounds wonderfully. There's a little play wear (all pictured I hope), but the neck is almost blemish free and remarkably clean (this seems honest) and the fretboard is straight, clean as it was when it left the factory. Truss rod has never been turned (by me, but seemingly by nobody else either) and the bass has never been stripped down (this was confirmed by Kebo and David and I certainly haven’t taken it apart) the screws are tight and it feels right (I’ve owned many vintage Fenders, and you get a feeling).

Grey bottom pickups are all original too. The scratch plate has never been off the bass and I want to keep it that way, as it is immaculate (this one can stay, as the scratchplate genuinely is blemish free). You can black-light the finish to check its originality and I'm happy to provide provide more pictures if required. 

Period details are all correct (clay dots, pot dates, smaller screws on the scratchplate etc.)

I searched for years to find this one, but the truth is it's so beautiful, I rarely get to play it and instead leave it snugly secured in its case, instead preferring to play my '66 which is battered and bruised.

Take a look at the images here, and you'll get a good idea about this guitar. It's not mint (not immaculate either, see below), but all lighthearted joking aside it’s in very good condition (DM me if you disagree, but I think that’s fair enough).

History

I know the history of this bass, and can provide all details of provenance. I purchased it from Cotswold Bass Guitars as part of a trade earlier this year. David purchased it from Kebo Bass Works in the States who have confirmed this to me, and I have their written appraisal and feedback. They originally purchased it from the relatives of the original owner who sold it after his death. I can provide all of this to the new owner.

Terms

I won't send this of course, you'll need to come and take a look at it in person. I'm based in Bristol, and run my own business, so it's no problem to fit around you. Feel free to DM me. I'm not looking for trades on this as I need the money to invest in my business.

Why am I selling?

As I mention above, my business is growing and we've recently won some new contracts. I'll use the proceeds from this sale to invest, which is why I want a cash sale.

Price

Given I've always wanted one and searched long and hard for it, I know the value. I've advertised it for £8,995 which is a fair price in context what's out there in the market, but there's always a deal to be done. I've previously sold a number of high value guitars on here, and can supply references and whatever else you might need.

I've now reduced this to £8,750. This is one of the best condition examples for sale in the world at the moment.

Trades

I've had a couple of emails about this. I would be interested in a trade against a vintage Fender (has to be all original), possibly a Wal or other high end bass. I do need cash for the business, but if something will sell or I can enjoy it then I"m interested. This is a dream bass for someone, but I appreciate the cost is high.

20170106_142410.jpg

20170106_142457.jpg

20170213_194540.jpg

20170213_194631.jpg

20170213_194815.jpg

20170213_201158.jpg

20170106_142549.jpg

20170120_153000.jpg

20170120_154910.jpg

20170120_155241.jpg

20170213_194510.jpg

Edited by Burns-bass

It’s a semantic point, but I’d say immaculate for something that’s 54 years old. Now had I said ‘mint’ you’d have been right.

Ive changed it now to ‘fantastic condition’ - let’s hope that works.

Edited by Burns-bass

20 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

It’s a semantic point, but I’d say immaculate for something that’s 54 years old. Now had I said ‘mint’ you’d have been right.

Ive changed it now to ‘fantastic condition’ - let’s hope that works.

You should change the description in the ad as well. I don't think it is being pedantic. Something is either immaculate or it is not. Age is irrelevant.

I think it is a stunning instrument and in exceptional condition considering it's age and i wish you the best of luck with your sale.

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Is that a custom colour 66 with lollipop tuners? 

Ive got a candy apple red one and it’s incredible. Good choice.

It's 1967 actually......... because of the pickup dates............  I always imagined they broke up for xmas.............!

Wow, I've owned also a lot of vintage basses (and guitars), wrote a mémoire about pre 1965 basses, and this one, according to the pictures, is the real thing.

In fact, it's quite easy to know if these instruments are true vintage ones or real fakes.

And there is a tiny little thing (plus many many many others) that nobody seems to know which can testify the period, but I'll keep it secret, sorry, there are too many crooks around making fantastic money with real fakes and I don't want to help them. 

This one is a true period correct in fantastic condition Jazz Bass, which is very very very rare.

GLWYS. 

4 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Is that a custom colour 66 with lollipop tuners? 

Ive got a candy apple red one and it’s incredible. Good choice.

I've never regretted moving any bass on with the exception of a '66 CAR dot and bound. It had the lovely gold undercoat/primer that was wearing through into the CAR finish so looked fantastic. Ah well...

The '64 looks lovely - I love that rich black into red that the sunburst instruments of that era seem to have. I doubt it'll be around for long!

Spoiler

Edited by Old Man Riva

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

And there is a tiny little thing (plus many many many others) that nobody seems to know which can testify the period, but I'll keep it secret, sorry, there are too many crooks around making fantastic money with real fakes and I don't want to help them. 

I'm intrigued... any clues?!

It's not the secret, but the first thing to look at is the tortoise scratchplate, it must have shrunk and the screws fixing it must have followed that shrinking, meaning they can't be at right angle.

Then look at the logo, the varnish under it must be way far clearer.

Then, the discolouration under anything that can be removed must be non existing.

At the time, to solder the cables, they had to use some flux which gives this greasy looking aspect around the solder that can't be flashy.

Then, there are the codes on the pots.

The values are something very important.

The heel of the neck must have risen, wich means that if the neck is dead flat, the frets have been dressed or worst changed.

And then, there is the secret weapon...

Come on.......... let's have the secret weapon.  PM me with it written backwards.........

I'm happy about the heel of the neck fact.  Mine has that & I thought it was a fault of some sort......... it has all the others too but I can't think of the secret weapon.

Sorry for hijacking your thread slightly Mr Burns.

It’s all good, I’m intrigued too! I checked the bass over myself according to my limited knowledge (and some insight and feedback from a Basschat legend) and the provenance is clear, as well as the history. This information here is really useful and should hopefully assure a potential buyer that this is a genuine and unchanged vintage Fender.

I reckon it's got something to do with the neck cavity/pocket..?!

I'm also aware that there was a slight anomaly back in the early days (and I think through to the late 60s/early 70s) to do with the machining/manufacturing of the body - where the cutting tool left a slight imperfection when it left the body after the final cut/routing.

Or maybe it was all a dream...  

The default of the neck pocket is also very helpful as is the always present primer coat (called "fondur") and the nitro-cellulosic paint easy to identify with a bit of acetone.

The miror marks on the neck plate or bridge are very good testifiers.

The stamps or always pencil (on early ones, than it was with an alcohol pen) written dates or names or initials are also worth mentioning.

The tool marks on the body are relevant.

The routing under the tuners at a precise period is also important.

The real beef bone nut has its word to say.

But there still is this little thing which could be gold for fakers.

Let me tell you a little story related to faking cars, the famous Renault R8 Gordini.

You can turn any standard R8 into a Gordini : modify the front to accommodate the specially designed lights, change the motor, change the angle of the rear wheels, change the instruments, change the interior, change the car emblems, add some chrome and don't forget to change the colour and the primer coat. This way you will fool almost everybody, but there is that little thing that only a few knew which will be decisive. Here it is : there was only one, yes one, painter for the R8 Gordini and he made the same mistake on each and every R8 Gordini he painted, finally not a mistake, a real signature. So what's that signature, easy to see ; just unscrew the rear seat, look on the right side near the tunnel, there it is, the testifier : a paint pouring exactly at the same place on each R8 Gordini.

Now that fakers know the weak point, there are loads of fake R8 Gordini.

So better keep this thing "secret" and simply ask me when you want to put a lot of money in pre CBS or even until 1973 Precision or Jazz.

By the way, the only woods used by Leo Fender for the Precision and Jazz are alder or ash (7 parts glued is the best I've seen) for the bodies, and maple and/or Brazilian rosewood (until the end of the stock, so around 1966-67 and up to 68 sometimes) for the necks. There has never been padauk fingerboards or any other exotic woods at the time... Except according to crooks and fakers.

The mistake or little thing proving that the instrument has been rebuilt is in these 3 listings, use your gray cells and you should find the problem. I've not checked the rest of these 1964 Jazzes, but only that one little thing :

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=325

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=739

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=458

And AB is certainly not aware of that detail.

The only difference I can see is that paint has transferred from the body to the parts and matches exactly. This means those parts must have been there from the beginning. The assumption must be that the paint wasn't fully dry when it was built and so there was this transference. If this hasn't happened then perhaps the bass has been rebuilt? I could be wrong!

I'll weigh the bass later today and update the listing. I have just pulled it out for a quick few moments and it sounds and feels amazing.

This also an interesting point, but that's not it.

Remember, I said that values are important.

In fact, it's so obvious that nobody seems to notice it, but you have to know Fender history quite well. It's always the smallest detail that will get you caught.

And yes AB is only a seller and nothing else, and I love to inquire even if it's not my job.