Why become a member? ×

Gillett Guitars

Gillett Guitars

Pleased to say that those nice folks at BRG did their thing sooner than expected - so here's the link with a bit more stuff wrapped round it:

We were recently invited to Summerfield Studios in Birmingham for a video recording session with Britain's Rare Guitars.  Click on the link below to see them interviewing Michael and playing our new Contour six-string guitar and Contour S bass.

BRG's Gillett Interview and demo

As you will see from my 'official' Gillett sign-off (if you didn't know already), Bass Guitar Magazine cited the Gillett Contour as best electro-acoustic bass in the premium £1500-plus price category in their Gear of the Year round-up for 2017.  This was based on their review of a 5-string fretted Contour - and in this month's issue (in the shops from tomorrow) you'll find their follow-up review of our best-selling slim-bodied S.  This time they opted for a fretless 4 and, once again, they appear to have liked it (we wouldn't be telling you if they hadn't).

Premium guitars and basses like ours come at a premium price, and we understand the implications of that.  In order to reduce (or at least spread) the financial pain, we offer a staged-payment arrangement. On receipt of a signed agreement with the initial payment from our customer, we will start the chain of events that ends (subject to payment of the outstanding balance) with the delivery of their finished instrument some weeks later*.  This scheme is not a loan, so no interest charges apply.  I've attached the figures for our range of instruments to give you an idea of the financial commitment.  If you are interested, we will send you a copy of our staged-purchase agreement containing all the relevant terms and conditions.

*Current build time is around 12 weeks

Mike Batsch (aka Scrumpymike)
Sales & Marketing Manager
GILLETT GUITARS
Tel. +44 (0)1823 272376 / (0)7770 946135

image.png.a29dcb6dc53746020d17bec969c9356a.png

Edited by Gillett Guitars

...and here's the staged payment info referred to in my last post:

Manufacturing Agreement Payment Schedule

NOTE: The following abstract from the full and formal Gillett Guitars ‘Manufacturing Agreement’ is intended purely to illustrate the financial structure of our staged-payment arrangement:

The Instruments

CONTOUR 4-STRING BASSES

Fretless Poplar  @£2,400 - 3 payments of £480 + final £960

Fretted Poplar – as above

Fretless Rosewood – as above

Fretted Rosewood – as above

“S” Type Fretless Rosewood  @£2,200 - 3 payments of £440 + final £880

“S” Type Fretted – as above

“ST” Type Fretless Rosewood  @£2,450 - 3 payments of £490 + final £980

“ST” Type Fretted – as above

CONTOUR 5-STRING BASSES

Fretless Poplar  @£2,650 - 3 payments of £530 + final £1060

Fretted Poplar – as above

Fretless Rosewood – as above

Fretted Rosewood – as above

“ST” Type Fretless Rosewood – as above

“ST” Type Fretted Rosewood – as above

NEW!! Contour 6-string electro-acoustic guitar @£2,7951 payment of £795 + 4 payments of £500 

All the above instruments will be provided with a purpose designed hard case at no additional charge.

• ped unlocked this topic
  • 5 weeks later...

OK, so this is a bit of an experiment.  I've put together a short newsletter and I'm going to see what happens if I try to copy and paste some of it here:

Q: When is a Gillett Contour not a bass?

A: When it’s our new six-string guitar!

http://IMG_4850_crop3.jpg

Michael Gillett (ABOVE, right) discusses the new Contour six-string guitar prototype in an interview with Britain’s Rare Guitars at a recent recording session at Summerfield Studios in Birmingham (see p2).  BELOW: Workshop shot of the mahogany-bodied prototype showing the nifty hatch set into the back of the guitar to access the battery compartment and solid-brass string-retaining block.

http://GG_NL_1810p3.jpg

The design development phase is done and dusted, the feedback from the many UK guitarists who played the prototype has been incorporated into the final design — and now it’s finally here!!  The very first production batch of our new six-string guitar addition to the Contour family is being built in our workshops and the customers who have paid their deposits know the wait is nearly over.

As with our basses, we set out to make the Contour guitar much more than another ‘me-too’ instrument.  Its ergonomically-sculpted body, through-stringing, proprietary internal bracing structure and custom-designed electronics — all of these features combine to create a really playable instrument with a uniquely versatile tonal palette…

Read on for your first chance to play it! >>>>>>

http://GG_NL_1810p2.jpg

We’ll be at LIGS with the new Contour guitar and a selection of Contour basses.  This is an American-style ‘table-top’ exhibition but we will also have a private demo room for you to hear – and play – our instruments in a more controlled environment.

A new addition to our bass range

Up to now, our popular Contour ‘S’ (for ‘Slimline’) has only been available with a single mag pickup at the neck but we are pleased to announce that it is now available with the additional under-bridge piezo installation for that extra tonal versatility.  This very model got a most favourable review in the September issue of Bass Guitar — including a ‘perfect 10’ for build quality.  This follows the citation below based on the magazine’s review of a fretted Standard 5.

http://GG_NL_1810p4.jpg

Gilletto al fresco

If the above conjures-up images of sipping Chianti and nibbling antipasti on a veranda overlooking the sun-soaked Adriatic coast – forget it!  Soaked we were, but not by the sun on our last two outdoor events; and we haven’t even mentioned the wind.

The events in question were the Towersey and Shrewsbury Folk Festivals, which coincided on the last weekend in August when the lovely Summer weather decided to take a sharp turn for the worse.  We decided to do them and the massive Sidmouth fest (thankfully at the drier start of the month) in order to promote our new guitar at grass-roots level — literally.

Here’s a pic of our Shrewsbury pitch before the show started and the monsoon rain-clouds finally let go.

GG_NL_1810p6.jpg

‘Glamping’ this definitely was not!

One of the first orders for our new guitar was placed by a high-profile member of this forum, who specified it to be built using Rocklite.  This innovative material is a very recent development that's already being used for fret-boards as a rosewood replacement.  As far as we know, we're the first to use it to use it for the body as well.  As these pics grabbed in our workshop show, it's turning out rather well.

http://2018_10_02_AR_Rocklite_3.jpg

http://2018_10_02_AR_Rocklite_1.jpg

http://2018_10_02_AR_Rocklite_2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was relieved to see that AndyJr was one of the 'likes' for the Rocklite guitar pic's above - because it's his!!  Now that he's visited our workshops and played it, he likes likes it even more.  We offer all our customers a handover in our workshops near Bristol and Andy was particularly keen to see how we build our Contour guitar and basses.

Selling one of our first batch of new guitars to an accomplished luthier like Andy ("I've never even paid half this much for a guitar before") is a real source of pride for us.  And here he is giving the set-up a final tweak.

http://IMG-20181018-141116905.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gillett Guitars said:

I was relieved to see that AndyJr was one of the 'likes' for the Rocklite guitar pic's above - because it's his!!  Now that he's visited our workshops and played it, he likes likes it even more.  We offer all our customers a handover in our workshops near Bristol and Andy was particularly keen to see how we build our Contour guitar and basses.

Selling one of our first batch of new guitars to an accomplished luthier like Andy ("I've never even paid half this much for a guitar before") is a real source of pride for us.  And here he is giving the set-up a final tweak.

http://IMG-20181018-141116905.jpg

And it is fan-flippin-stupendously-awe-inspiringly FANTASTIC!!!!!

I am SO excited.  And very, very impressed with the Rocklite.  

Before I get my sticky mitts properly on it, it's going to be at the London guitar show at Kempton Park this weekend (I'm in Aberdeen on grandparent duty, drat it!).  If you let Mike, Michael or Simon know that you're on Basschat (and I've said the same to TheFretboard forum members, Mike), they may even let you play it!  JUST DON'T DROOL SLOBBER OVER IT!

Andy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

And it is fan-flippin-stupendously-awe-inspiringly FANTASTIC!!!!!

I am SO excited.  And very, very impressed with the Rocklite.  

Before I get my sticky mitts properly on it, it's going to be at the London guitar show at Kempton Park this weekend (I'm in Aberdeen on grandparent duty, drat it!).  If you let Mike, Michael or Simon know that you're on Basschat (and I've said the same to TheFretboard forum members, Mike), they may even let you play it!  JUST DON'T DROOL SLOBBER OVER IT!

Andy

Don't worry Andy, we'll clean the slobber off before you get it back 😊  The show is a week tomorrow for those who are interested - Sunday 28th (see details in my earlier post on this topic).

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'm made up for you mate.  I wish you many happy years with it even if it has extra strings.

We'll be bringing stuff with the correct number of strings too 👍

• Like 2

I'm sure Mike will be posting the links anyway, but Gillett Guitars have just posted this - shows my own Rocklite and the production Mahogany versions of the Contour 6 string in comparison - and played by a fantastic player, Ben Fletcher:

As already reported, we're at the London International Guitar Show (Kempton Park Racecourse Exhibition Centre, Sunbury on Thames, this Sunday 28th from 10am to 4:30pm) with our new Contour S six-string guitar.  Our friend Ben Fletcher, who will be running our demo room at the show, popped in to our workshops recently and made a short video.  It's a kind of shoot-out between 2 very different guitars from our first production batch - one made from traditional tone-woods and the other from a man-made alternative.  I love Ben's video and think you'll like it too.  Follow the link to find out which guitar Ben prefers!

Ben Fletcher CGS6 shoot-out

If you're going to the show, don't forget to come and say hi!

5 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I'm sure Mike will be posting the links anyway, but Gillett Guitars have just posted this - shows my own Rocklite and the production Mahogany versions of the Contour 6 string in comparison - and played by a fantastic player, Ben Fletcher:

Thanks Andy - you beat me to it by a matter of seconds - your guitar's famous 🙂

• 1 month later...

HEADS-UP: Ex-demo sale!!

As is our policy at Gillett Guitars, we are initially offering the following ex-demo instruments exclusively to Basschat forum members for a limited period!  We will also be listing them with full details and pic's in the forum 'shop' as commercial items for sale in the next couple of days.

Gillett Contour 5-string fretless

Contour Standard (i.e. full-bodied) electro-acoustic bass

Sale price - £2150 (RRP £2650)

Gillett Contour S 4-string fretted

Contour Slimline (i.e. shallow-bodied) electro-acoustic bass 

Sale price - £1550 (RRP £2200)

Gillett Contour S 4-string fretted

Contour Slimline (i.e. shallow-bodied) electro-acoustic bass 

Sale price - £1850  (RRP £2200)

Mike Batsch (aka 'scrumpymike')
Sales & Marketing Manager
GILLETT GUITARS