Why become a member? ×

Gillett Guitars

Gillett Guitars

Hi everybody -  'scrumpymike' here, aka Sales & Marketing Manager for Gillett Guitars! B|   As those who attended the first South-West Bass Bash I organised in May already know, Michael Gillett kindly sponsored the event - which is how I got to know him.  (For those who weren't there, Gillett design and build the distinctive 'Contour' range of electro-acoustic basses in the UK and are based in the South West near me.) The basses were generally well received at the bash and a few of us (me included) were so blown away that we decided to get one.

Since joining GG three weeks ago, I’ve shared my passion for this forum with Michael G and explained why I think we should be actively supporting what is the best online community of bass players in Europe and keeping members up to date with what we’re doing.  He’s up for that so we’ve taken a Basschat banner ad, this sponsored Gillet Guitars topic, and are giving members first shot at some ex-demo Contour Slimline basses at a big-discount as a Christmas promo (post with full details to follow).

A while back I posted a couple of ‘scrumpymike’ topics about my own Contour bass, which were enthusiastic to the point of being evangelical.  Now I’m on the payroll, I’ll be confining my future Gillett content to this sponsored thread — and I’ll try to make it a bit less subjective and more objective / informative.  We’re the only company batch-producing luthier-quality bass guitars in the UK so please give us your support if you can.  And I don’t just mean your money (though that would be nice).  There’s a massive amount of knowledge and experience on this forum and your comments and suggestions will be gratefully and thoughtfully received.

So, watch out for the next post with details of the ex-demo offer.  In the meantime, here's our website link:

http://www.gillettguitars.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gillett Guitars said:

Hi T-bay,

Glad you like them!  The ex-demo Contour S basses are £1700 inc. hardcase (normally £2200).

PRICE LIST

S 4 — £2200;  Standard 4 — £2400;  Standard 5 — £2650 (all include hard case)

Cheers,

Mike

Out of my price range sadly, but not surprised as having poked around the website they look truly superb. Nice to see a UK maker trying something new as well. Good luck with the project.

Edited by T-Bay
Typo

Ex-demo Contour S offer!!

We are pleased to offer Basschat members a number of ex-demo Contour S basses (the ones with the 'Slimline' body) at a special price of £1700 (normally £2200) including the mother of all hard-cases.  Spec is as follows:

KEY FEATURES

●  Natural tone-wood ‘sound’ enhanced and sustained by unique

body construction and through-stringing system

●  Revolutionary ‘feel’ of contoured body brings new levels of

comfort & playability

●  Gillett signature sculpted ‘look’

BODY

S—80mm (3.15 ”) deep, Rosewood

NECK

Maple - width: at nut = 41mm (1.61”); at 12th fret = 54mm (2.13”)

PICK-UP

Bareknuckle at neck

ELECTRONICS

Custom-designed pre-amp with single mixer / single volume controls.  The preamp uses a precision op-amp with input configuration selected to match the characteristics of the magnetic pickup. Detailed design ensures optimum balance between low noise and battery consumption.  A moderated level of amplification is used to maximise signal-to-noise ratio ensuring standard amplifier compatibility without overloading.  Filters and tone control terms optimise the response to the bass guitar frequencies.  Active tone controls at the mid setting provide a flat frequency response; counter-clockwise rotation boosts bass and cuts treble; clockwise rotation has the opposite effect.  The frequency around which this rotation point occurs has been selected to match the instrument’s acoustics.

STRINGS

Rotosound Tru Bass RS88EL black-nylon-coated .065”/.075”/.100”/.115”.  Specifically designed by James How for Jim Burns’ famous Black Bison in 1962 to emulate the upright bass sound on an electric bass guitar.  Magnetic stainless-steel undercovers below the special black-nylon tape ensure the best of all worlds by having a bass that is comfortable to handle, that will work with a conventional amplifier and yet offer a sound so reminiscent of its much larger brother.

DR Rare phosphor-bronze .045”/.065”/.085”/.105”.  Acoustic bass strings constructed on a round core combining winding techniques developed for DR’s long-lasting Lo-Rider bass strings and DR’s rich, ringing Rare phosphor bronze acoustic guitar strings.

HARDWARE

Custom bridge with individual string saddles; height-adjustable nut; Hipshot lightweight tuning keys

WEIGHT

Contour S — 3.75kg / 8.25lbs

If you're interested, either pm me or phone me on 07770 946135.

I'll post a few pic's of my bass with the hard case.

scrumpymike

Edited by Gillett Guitars

Great to see Gillett Guitars being represented officially on BassChat. About 6, maybe 7 years ago Michael himself posted on BassChat to discuss the new product line and I just had to reach out to him to talk more. We've stayed in touch as much as possible and I feel honoured that I was able to be instrumental in aiding the design of the original range. Certainly very touched when Michael reached out to me as he did with other bassists who are highly regarded to discuss his basses and what players were looking for in an instrument.

In case you missed it on TV, Michael has been on Dragon's Den with his instruments as well which I think was superb!

I have a lot of time for Michael, I think he's a really nice guy and I want to see him and his basses progress.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gillett Guitars said:

Totally agree!  Michael and his basses deserve to succeed, which is why I'm doing this.

Do say hi from me. I must catch up with my last email with him!

The arm relief contour and the slim body on these is what would make me change my position on acoustic bass.  The YT clip I found is confirmation of the sound quality.  If I ever earn owt other than beer money from my playing I am having one of these somewhere down the line.  The functional form of this instrument is a thing of beauty.

The machine thread inserts are the clincher.  Any luthier who incorporates these details is building an instrument to outlast its owner.  That makes it a proper investment as an heirloom for my successors on top of it being a highly useable acoustic based instrument.

I'd love to support British craftsmanship but my earnings aren't up to that sort of investment right now.  I will keep an eye on the range however.