Why become a member? ×

Hi from Gillett Guitars!

Gillett Guitars

It’s been a few years since I introduced myself as Basschat newbie ‘scrumpymike’.  Now I’ve got the chance to do it again on behalf of Gillett Guitars.  I've just taken on their sales and marketing and the first thing I’m doing is to make sure that we actively support my favourite forum :D.  We’re taking a banner display ad (should go live in the next day or two) with a link to our Gillett sponsored topic containing info about our basses. Click on the banner and you’ll see that we are also giving Basschat members first shot at some ex-demo Contour S (Slimline) basses with a big discount.

We want to keep Basschat members informed about what we're up to and we want to know what you think about it.

http://www.gillettguitars.co.uk/

Edited by Gillett Guitars

Good afternoon, GG (well, OK; Mike...), and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share, as you already know. Well done on getting your new role; also for supporting your our everyone's favourite bass forum. Keen to see what follows... B|

13 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I'm liking the look of that S type.  Does this mean I need to turn off my ad blocker?

Switch us off ?!  Perish the thought :facepalm:  The S is our most popular bass - it's the one I've got and some ex-demo ones will be available exclusively to Basschat members at a much reduced price in the next day or so.

2 hours ago, Tonteee said:

Welcome, Gillett!

I saw the stand at LBGS and was intrigued.  It's a very individual look.  Both models sound great.

Are there going to be new demos recorded...?

Have you seen the vid's on our website (link in my PO)?  It's Richie Blake - as mentioned in timhiggins' post - playing current basses.

2 hours ago, timhiggins said:

They look and sound great 

i watched another vid where Richie Blake is playing something  weather reporty ,

the bass used in this didnt sport the jazz p.u.

is that an old one ? 

Also how much are these instruments ?

That was a Contour Standard pre-production bass with just the Schatten bridge transducer.  The Standard now has that plus the Bareknuckle jazz pup; the S just has the jazz.  Prices are:

S 4 — £2200;  Standard 4 — £2400;  Standard 5 — £2650

The ex-demo S basses on offer here are £1700.  All prices include the hard case that sank the Titanic.

• Like 1

Interesting design- tried one last year in Hobgoblin in Bristol.  I’m always a sucker for a good acoustic bass, as thats all I play, but, I found it strange that although plainly acoustic in design, they have very little acoustic volume, barely more than a standard electric really.  Didn’t get to hear it plugged in though, and I’m am guessing that is where these probably excel.  Some might ask what bother with an acoustic bass that you have to plug in anyway.  Some of these people don’t realise that not all of us play with drummers or electric guitarists.  I run a mandolin orchestra for instance, where coming on stage with a Fender Jazz would be just plain silly.  And lets be honest, Uke basses don’t quite cut the mustard sound wise. So yes, there is very much a place for a high quality acoustic bass, and I am very interested in how Gillette basses develop as, for me, they could do with just a little more acoustic volume to pique my interest.

Robbie

4 hours ago, Gillett Guitars said:

Have you seen the vid's on our website (link in my PO)?  It's Richie Blake - as mentioned in timhiggins' post - playing current basses.

Yes, I had watched them. :)

Whilst Ritchie Blake plays very well (complete understatement), IMO he's no presenter - at least not in those videos.  Perhaps he should have had more of a script, but he seemed to struggle for superlatives.  He also needed to concentrate his comments down a bit, to me.

But as a technical display of the bass, he's absolutely great.

Thanks for the feedback Brook-fan.  I've checked the records and they just tell me that the bass at Hobgoblin is a 4-string Standard - so I don't know whether it's got the black nylon-coated strings or phosphor-bronze rounds.  Either way, the unplugged volume won't be enough for performing to an audience.  The extra volume produced by Michael's unique isn't really noticeable, but the tonal quality and sustain are IMHO remarkable.

24 minutes ago, Tonteee said:

Yes, I had watched them. :)

Whilst Ritchie Blake plays very well (complete understatement), IMO he's no presenter - at least not in those videos.  Perhaps he should have had more of a script, but he seemed to struggle for superlatives.  He also needed to concentrate his comments down a bit, to me.

But as a technical display of the bass, he's absolutely great.

Can't disagree with any of that.  The recordings were done before my time but, according to Michael G, the over-enthusiastic ad-lib that unfortunately took the edge off the Gillett presentation was genuine.  A script would certainly have helped.

(That razor pun was unintentional btw.)

• Like 1