Why become a member? ×

Anyone heard of a brand bass called 'Rainbow KF'?

binky_bass

Hi chaps and chapettes, 

Has anyone heard of a brand called Rainbow KF? I've come across a pretty good looking 6 string bass with Gotoh tuners and what looks like Hipshot single rail bridges, it has abalone block inlays and a few bits of carbon fibre here and there... all in a good looking thing! Not sure on the quality of the general build or how it plays/sounds. 

The seller is over 300 miles away so trying it out is not possible! Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these basses?

Ta, Russ. 

20171202_123628.png

20171202_123649.png

Edited by binky_bass

Saw this on a local gear group. Very pretty & expensive-looking, but the only thing that made me go "hmmm" is the rather cheap-looking headstock scarf joint:

Interesting that Chinese "tributes" exist...

Edit - looks like someone put the tuners on in the dark.

6er scarf.jpg

Edited by Bassassin

I saw this come up on facebook.

My first thought was that the price didn't quite seem to fit. If this is a quality bass then with all those features then it should probably cost a lot more so more likely to be a cheap bass with lots of bells and whistles in which case probably overpriced.

Just my gut feeling mind you.

These are actually made in Brazil... so it'd be Brazilian garbage at best! Also, this is a 'signature bass' for some Brazilian session musician I've never heard of so perhaps it is a reasonable player? It is a gamble for sure, this model is based on the Yamaha TRB basses so could be ok... 

I'm betwixt! If I do end up with it, I'll let you know what I think of it.

• Like 1

I mean, it's ugly as hell to start with ;).

But yeah, I've seen them crop up on Instagram etc, although doesn't surprise me that an unknown Brazilian luthier isn't commanding decent used money in the U.K.

Probably decent enough, but yeah that neck joint is a cut-corner for sure.

Those Chinese copy basses are horrendous, that one linked above is a catastrophe from what I can see, and a mate previously ordered a really shoddy Fodera copy. Wastes of money even at £300.

Si

Hi Russ,

If it's a real De Oliveira bass, these are good to very good basses with new price tags going up to 1500 GBP/Euros which is really high for Brazil.

They have plenty of luthiers over there making Fodera copies for the most of them.

He is one of the rare making some "different" models including Fodera clones, some with his own pickups and preamp...

Here is a link with a video of KF himself playing his signature model : https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-681912712-baixo-deoliveira-rainbow-kf-6-cordas-_JM

Or here a Gumtree like web site with lots of what De Oliveira is making : https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/deoliveira-rainbow-kf#D[A:deoliveira-rainbow-kf,B:0]

Beware if you go to De Oliveira web site as it's a bit, say, polluted : http://www.deoliveirabass.com/fotos/#prettyPhoto

But It's almost impossible to resell over here.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...