Why become a member? ×

Strandberg - somethings cooking - boden bass

winterfire666

Well the more extreme the fan, dare I say,  the "more craddock" the neck, the more extreme the distortion of hand position for chording in the upper register? So the point is that it's a compromise with different makers taking a different position - literally.

4 hours ago, visog said:

Well the more extreme the fan, dare I say,  the "more craddock" the neck, the more extreme the distortion of hand position for chording in the upper register? So the point is that it's a compromise with different makers taking a different position - literally.

Watch your hand move up and down a regular neck, your hand can get pretty angular, depending on your strap position.  It is as useful as the string tension for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, visog said:

Very nice rig... as well as price, any news on 5/6 strings? (Not that much point in a 4-multi-scale? <*Bracing for impact*>)

if you look at multi scale necks for the sake of one string, i don't think they're for you :)

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, therealting said:

Am hoping they come up with a six-string version. This is similar to Dingwall Super scale which is my preference. 

It does say starting line-up 4 and 5 string versions implying that there is more to follow, considering the stock guitars go up to 8 string I'm sure there will be a 6, I'm curious to see if they stretch to a 7 at some point though.

• Like 1

Tone wise it’s nothing special or unique, prog model should be cheaper as it has a lower priced pre in it, but I bet it won’t be!  It’s all going to be on playability for me. And yeah, the price will have to come in favourable to Dingwall to challenge that market.  I’m more interested in why it has taken so long to come out and spent so long in the prototype stage.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Tone wise it’s nothing special or unique, prog model should be cheaper as it has a lower priced pre in it, but I bet it won’t be!  It’s all going to be on playability for me. And yeah, the price will have to come in favourable to Dingwall to challenge that market.  I’m more interested in why it has taken so long to come out and spent so long in the prototype stage.

i agree tone wise, you know what you are getting with nordstrand/darkglass stuff so its all about that that endurneck.

is the darkglass pre cheaper than the nordstrand one? cant be much in it can there, the pickups are (slightly) more expensive in the prog and a decent piece of ebony is generally more expensive than the maple board on the classic so i would expect it to be a little more overall.

its the first endurneck for a bass so i would expect that to be the biggest factor in the design and testing stage, the original endurneck has been tweaked over the years and the current standard is a little different to my 3 year old os6 so im glad they are taking the time because its THE most important thing in making this product stand out from the crowd.

• Like 1

I'm really curious about the Endurneck. Seems a fascinating concept.

As for prices - the guitars run from about £1500 to £3000 depending on where they are built so I'd imagine the same for the basses.

It's the weight that really appeals. They've got the guitars down to about 5lb. That might mean 6 to 7lb basses. That would really float my boat if I like the neck.

• Like 1

Weight puts me off, I’ve never owned a super lightweight bass that can hold a candle to a heavier counterpart for depth of tone, but I guess tone wood is controversial 😂.  And this does have a reason to be lighter, with the end chopped off and all.

Darkglass preamp was around £50 odd less last time I looked, course Strandberg will have more buying power from Nordstrand with the pickups etc so they’ll get a better deal I suspect.

21 hours ago, Kev said:

Weight puts me off, I’ve never owned a super lightweight bass that can hold a candle to a heavier counterpart for depth of tone,

i was the same before getting my Xylem which is a tone monster and only 6.75lb (about 3kg)

i agree though generally most lightweight basses i have tried do seem to lack something.