Why become a member? ×

Strandberg - somethings cooking - boden bass

winterfire666

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out these are now equipped with a darkglass tone capsule and pickups confirmed as nordstrands, i want one more now haha.

No surprise but a 5 string model is also confirmed.

Gotta keep an eye out for any shows in the uk for the opportunity to give one a quick play.

The big question for me is price now.

Sorry, but this just looks like a love child of swamp thing and darth vader. I am not overly concerned about “ugly” - my Bogarts are an acquired taste too - if it sounds good and ergonomics are spot on, so fingers crossed then... a very small market for it I imagine.

thats how i felt about my boden os6 but the erganomics and sound won me over, i like the looks now too i guess they grew on me over time

that neck profile has really improved my guitar playing though and has pretty much eliminated fretting hand fatigue, hopefully the bass will nail it in the same way, time will tell.

1 minute ago, winterfire666 said:

thats how i felt about my boden os6 but the erganomics and sound won me over, i like the looks now too i guess they grew on me over time

that neck profile has really improved my guitar playing though and has pretty much eliminated fretting hand fatigue, hopefully the bass will nail it in the same way, time will tell.

I get that totally. I have the exact same with the Bogarts, they enable things I just can’t do on other basses, and then they just grow or become part of you and what once was “ugly” becomes beautiful. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, visog said:

Nice! Let's hope the price is, ahem, 'manageable'. 

P.S. Do they have torzoidal necks like the LittleGuitarWorks basses as well as fanned frets (like Dingwalls) And headless like Steinberger?

they have the strandberg endurneck, i have one of their guitars and it really does work, cant wait to test the bass out

https://strandbergguitars.com/strandberg-endurneck/

Mehhh.  The fan is too small (like the Ibanez really, why bother doing it at all?), it is far too light for me (my 8lb Dingwall is borderline) and I dunno, I'm just not taken by the overall look.

Biggest point of interest to me is the bizarre neck cave, which I presume is being carried over from the guitar.  Interested to see how that feels to play.

It seem only Dingwall will really take the Novax system to it's real potential on bass. As @Kev mentions, Ibanez didn't really set the world on fire with theirs despite there being a gap in the market for a <£1000 fanned fret bass to steal Dingwall sales for those that don't want to save up as long.

2 hours ago, visog said:

Anything saucy happening with electronics do we know? Need more reasons to GAS before the pricing s**ts roundly on the currently appealing fantasy...

They seem to have tried a few different preamp and pickup options with the prototype, definitely seen a darkglass tone capsule and nordstrand & bartolini pickups so far, itll be interesting to see the final specs.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Mehhh.  The fan is too small (like the Ibanez really, why bother doing it at all?), it is far too light for me (my 8lb Dingwall is borderline) and I dunno, I'm just not taken by the overall look.

Biggest point of interest to me is the bizarre neck cave, which I presume is being carried over from the guitar.  Interested to see how that feels to play.

I see a lot of “this is not a proper fan”, so how is a 34-37” proper, and 34-35.5 not?

To me it is mistaking convention with reality. 

The ideal G string length many would argue is 32” whilst the best B I ever had was 36”. Should proper not be 32-36” then?

Ibanez and others have just taken a different view of what works best in their eyes in my view. Why is the Dingwall Super Jazz scale different than their NG?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I see a lot of “this is not a proper fan”, so how is a 34-37” proper, and 34-35.5 not?

To me it is mistaking convention with reality. 

The ideal G string length many would argue is 32” whilst the best B I ever had was 36”. Should proper not be 32-36” then?

Ibanez and others have just taken a different view of what works best in their eyes in my view. Why is the Dingwall Super Jazz scale different than their NG?

I guess its just personal experience.  I play Dingwalls and am used to that scale on a fanned fret instrument.  I guess I am interested why builders go to the extra engineering efforts for just a 1.5 inch spread i.e. what benefits are we getting from a top string just 0.5 inches longer than many regular 5s?  Like you say, many would say the spread should be more like 36-32, which is a 4 inch spread, so even larger.  I am sure it isn't, but to me with these mini fans it does kinda look like multiscale for the sake of multiscale.

The Super Jazz and P are Dingwalls efforts at a classic design and they chose that scale length to make it feel like a more traditional bass, as opposed to the long reaches of the AB and Combustion ranges.  That's the only reason from what I recall.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1