Why become a member? ×

Who would you - most have enjoyed playing bass with?

KiOgon

It needs to be fun, varied and demanding/giving enough every single night, so for me personally this band would need a huge song base too. Living Colour for example must have bored themselves to near suicide whilst repeating the same few songs live for decades.

Zappa would probably be it for me.

2 hours ago, Burrito said:

Alice Cooper. Great basslines from the Dennis Dunaway era, a fantastic show and he seems like a really decent guy to be around.

Good call - evening's spent being attacked by a maniac with a twin headed baby on the end of a sword then a round of golf next morning !!

6 hours ago, BassTractor said:

It needs to be fun, varied and demanding/giving enough every single night, so for me personally this band would need a huge song base too. Living Colour for example must have bored themselves to near suicide whilst repeating the same few songs live for decades.

Zappa would probably be it for me.

On being bored. Off topic.

I know a few pros touring with stars. I've known these guys since grade school.

They know I'm a B list bar band guy but even so when I complain to them about anything they have the same response;

"Are you getting paid?"

Not how much, but merely, are you getting paid. If yes, stop complaining.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

On being bored. Off topic.

I know a few pros touring with stars. I've known these guys since grade school.

They know I'm a B list bar band guy but even so when I complain to them about anything they have the same response;

"Are you getting paid?"

Not how much, but merely, are you getting paid. If yes, stop complaining.

Guys, I understand this is fantasy, and I'm not trying to be a "downer". I'm merely adding the elenent that playing with bands of this caliber is not all fun and games and entails a lot more than music.

I remember going back to a hotel after a show with a very famous band. I was freaked out by the number of guns the band traveled with.

Blue

50 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Guys, I understand this is fantasy, and I'm not trying to be a "downer". I'm merely adding the elenent that playing with bands of this caliber is not all fun and games and entails a lot more than music.

Aye, and I think everyone understands. I even think that the unspoken premise of the whole thread is that we know about reality. But the question in the thread title was "who would you most have enjoyed playing bass with", and then we answer that - each in our own way. People not mentioning they need to make money does not mean they're unaware.

That said, and as an example: My own making money off music has been through teaching on all different levels, from total beginners to post graduates. Even before going to music college I started and ran a music school so as to see whether I could bear living as a music teacher. You see, I'd noticed a pattern: most musicians started at music college with an idea of being a world star, and most of them wound up as frustrated music teachers. I didn't want to be like them.

My gig work has cost more than it brought in, and I've been rigid about choosing gigs with near total freedom. Most of my gigs in fact haven't even been paid gigs, but the experience of working with all kinds of musicians - literally from beginners to world famous people - has been most rewarding.

Making very little money off teaching has just been part of the investment and lifestyle. 

For me, playing with artists of all calibers has indeed been all fun and games, so Zappa wouldn't even have to pay me (but please don't tell him or the family trust ;) ).

Meatloaf. Seeing as the ones that first sprang to mind (T Rex, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd) have been nabbed, and I'm not sure about playing with David Bowie as he'd sack me, although I could also be tempted by Focus. Still, Meatloaf - I like Jim Steinman's writing, there's a lot of energy in the songs and enough complexity to make them interesting but simple enough that I should be abler to remember them.

2 hours ago, ead said:

Assuming a massive shift in my personal talent deficit for me it would have to be Led Zep.

I wold have to second that, especially playing with Bonham. A close second would be Neil Peart.

Everyone is fully aware that touring is NOT a bed of roses. This is supposed to be a fantasy about the band you would love to have played in "In your dreams". In my dreams and fantasies they always nail it, every time, and everything is perfect. Or what is the point of a fantasy? Get unreal. :biggrin:

17 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Aye, and I think everyone understands. I even think that the unspoken premise of the whole thread is that we know about reality. But the question in the thread title was "who would you most have enjoyed playing bass with", and then we answer that - each in our own way. People not mentioning they need to make money does not mean they're unaware.

That said, and as an example: My own making money off music has been through teaching on all different levels, from total beginners to post graduates. Even before going to music college I started and ran a music school so as to see whether I could bear living as a music teacher. You see, I'd noticed a pattern: most musicians started at music college with an idea of being a world star, and most of them wound up as frustrated music teachers. I didn't want to be like them.

My gig work has cost more than it brought in, and I've been rigid about choosing gigs with near total freedom. Most of my gigs in fact haven't even been paid gigs, but the experience of working with all kinds of musicians - literally from beginners to world famous people - has been most rewarding.

Making very little money off teaching has just been part of the investment and lifestyle. 

For me, playing with artists of all calibers has indeed been all fun and games, so Zappa wouldn't even have to pay me (but please don't tell him or the family trust ;) ).

Understood,

I'll go back and say for fantasy sake it would have to be The Stones. 

Butwhat if I found that Mick, Ronnie Keith and Charlie don't have the personalities I have conjured up in my head? ?

Blue