Why become a member? ×

The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).

Mykesbass

I was the only rock fan in my circle of friends growing up.  All the other lads were into hip-hop so I picked up a lot by osmosis.  I'm a big fan of what came to be called "gangsta rap", in particular Dr Dre's "g-funk" sound, and will happily put Snoop Dogg's "Doggystyle" in my top ten albums of all time.  Among the less mainstream artists I was exposed to, these guys stood out:

I finally listened to Illmatic this morning - good stuff!

I've been following Token for a while. He's very, very impressive. Some of his stuff is just bragging and showing off, other songs seem to mean more. Hopefully he'll just get better and better

I only recently got into Akala. I'd stopped listening to the rap show years back and generally lost touch with hip-hop. I think it was a thread on here someone shared Akala doing Fire In The Booth? Anyway, he's just brilliant, probably the best around for me, mainly because he's actually making a point with his raps, rather than just bragging about how good he is at rapping

I'm a rocker and most rap stuff passed me by to be honest  - too much of a fan of live bands over DJs I think.

However, I saw a band called The Tribe at my local music festival a couple of years ago and they were brilliant - proper band, got the crowd up and going. My kids still love their CD two years later - check them out if you get the chance :-

http://www.thetribalwave.com

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2017 at 16:24, Burns-bass said:

I grew up listening to rap, but then I've always seen the lineage back to the classic funk stuff in the 70s. 

Anyway, if you want a lesson in a moody, funk inspired bassline, there are few better than Dr Dre.

Yep, probably the all time #1 producer in all hip hop, possibly hitting his peak on Snoop's Doggystyle

Also just gonna give a big up for Naughty by Nature, one of the best from the late 80s-early 90s..

• Like 1

I'm ok with th rap/rock crossovers, Walk this Way and Fight for Your Right to Party, but I soon get bored with a repetitiveness of the vocal delivery on the Rap songs I've tried to listen too, not being a big one for lyrics (except my own lol) and a lot of the time they're not that clear anyway

On 12/2/2017 at 18:17, skidder652003 said:

My lad showed me this, I think its stunning

bit off topic, sorry, racism to me is categorising a whole race one way, as this video shows, all whites are racist all blacks are lazy drug dealers, obviously not true if you think about it but that's what happens, great clip from the Likely Lads that sums it up for me and blacks aren't even mentioned

6 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

bit off topic, sorry, racism to me is categorising a whole race one way, as this video shows, all whites are racist all blacks are lazy drug dealers, obviously not true if you think about it but that's what happens, great clip from the Likely Lads that sums it up for me and blacks aren't even mentioned

It seems that you're completely missing the point of the video and tune.
At no point does he categorise 'a whole race', but clearly the archetypes he references do exist. His point, which he gets across brilliantly if you watch the video right to the end, is that understanding can quite often come about by simply communicating.

Si

16 minutes ago, Sibob said:

It seems that you're completely missing the point of the video and tune.
At no point does he categorise 'a whole race', but clearly the archetypes he references do exist. His point, which he gets across brilliantly if you watch the video right to the end, is that understanding can quite often come about by simply communicating.

Si

I thought the point was the White guy thought all Blacks were lazy drug sellers and the Black guy thought all whites were racist but when you actually get in a one on one situation views often change, and yes I did watch it right to the end

Must check lots of these out (been laptop-less for a few weeks, so catching up). But here's one I heard on Huey's show on 6 Music this morning - lovely jazz sample (no idea what it is though).

How do we embed youtube videos on the new site?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EC8lBwroOc

Edited by Mykesbass

• 2 months later...
  • Mykesbass changed the title to The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).