Why become a member? ×

The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).

Mykesbass

11 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I looked this up the other day - Hip Hop is the overall culture (music, fashion etc) and Rap was originally the music. Obviously there is Rap that isn't Hip Hop.

I think of rap as just the vocal style, and hip hop covers the instrumental music and other cultural elements.

and yes not all rap is hip hop. For example you could think of Johnny Rotten as rapping, but not the Pistols as hip hop.

• Like 2

That’s interesting really, I used to listen to a lot of Dre and snoop and never heard them referred to as hip hop, but this is what’s said,

Snoop Dogg, byname of Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Jr., also called Snoop Doggy Dogg and Snoop Lion, (born October 20, 1971, Long Beach, California, U.S.), American rapper and songwriter who became one of the best-known figures in gangsta rap in the 1990s and was for many the epitome of West Coast hip-hop culture

For those not familiar with much Hip Hop there is a four part BBC Radio 2 (yes Rap is Radio 2 now!) series by Romesh Ranganathan (yes the comedian!) where he gives a pretty good intro... the first one has expired and the second only has three days left

Romesh Ranganathan: For The Love of Hip Hop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000yvxd

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It's funny that what was NuSkool back in the day is now OldSkool! So is Mean Machine and all the Sugarhills OG?

BTW, love a bit of Gang Starr and EPMD...

pre 90's is old school imo. I could babble on all day about HipHop. DJ Premier is top dog imo when it comes to production imo. His style is always funky. There are so many sub genres to Hip Hop.  Grime/Drill etc I don't even consider them Hip Hop. Its just daft. Im a huge Jurrassic 5 fan.  Chali 2na from Jurassic 5 has hands down.... the best rapping voice that I've ever heard. imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

pre 90's is old school imo. I could babble on all day about HipHop. DJ Premier is top dog imo when it comes to production imo. His style is always funky. There are so many sub genres to Hip Hop.  Grime/Drill etc I don't even consider them Hip Hop. Its just daft. Im a huge Jurrassic 5 fan.  Chali 2na from Jurassic 5 has hands down.... the best rapping voice that I've ever heard. imo. 

Can’t argue with a lot of what you say there!

Premier beats are about the tightest around for sure

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...