Why become a member? ×

The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).

Mykesbass

As a metaller at the the time, I quite liked the earlier stuff,Like Tone Loc, and Run DMC, because they tended to rap over rock loops/tracks. This before an established career path leading to clothes lines and acting roles. 

What i've never understood about the development of 'Gangsta' rap is the juxtaposition of violent/sweary lyrics, over laid back, mellow music. Public Enemy had brutal lyrics with backing music to match, which made more sense to me. But it's not my scene, so maybe I'm not supposed to understand it.

3 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

As a metaller at the the time, I quite liked the earlier stuff,Like Tone Loc, and Run DMC, because they tended to rap over rock loops/tracks. This before an established career path leading to clothes lines and acting roles. 

What i've never understood about the development of 'Gangsta' rap is the juxtaposition of violent/sweary lyrics, over laid back, mellow music. Public Enemy had brutal lyrics with backing music to match, which made more sense to me. But it's not my scene, so maybe I'm not supposed to understand it.

I love it, and it doesn’t always work, it’s just people trying stuff, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt!

3 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

It's a song writing technique as old as the hills - sing a sad song happy and a happy song sad. 

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Very nice. Checked out the original track that has been sampled, and in my mind this builds and improves on it.

There is also a 'Tiny Desk' concert on the tube featuring this which is worth at least one watch :) - with a full live band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxvB0d5VF0

Edited by sammybee
adding link
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, gareth said:

Let’s be honest 

Rap us crap

Is that a rubbish rhyme dissing American rap, or is it an embarrassingly poor typo in the middle of a diss, which makes the diss-pissssss poor, like a fool tripping on his laces walking out the door? I never heard anything like that before(!), but the lack of originality means my jaw don’t drop to the floor, so are you sure you don’t need to spell check yourself before you wreck yourself, coz mistakes in your posts are bad for your health.

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Is that a rubbish rhyme dissing American rap, or is it an embarrassingly poor typo in the middle of a diss, which makes the diss-pissssss poor, like a fool tripping on his laces walking out the door? I never heard anything like that before(!), but the lack of originality means my jaw don’t drop to the floor, so are you sure you don’t need to spell check yourself before you wreck yourself, coz mistakes in your posts are bad for your health.

Word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

It’s da trooth innit 

Edited by gareth

I don't care for most rap of the last 20 years simply because  it was done so much better in the 80s and 90s. Maybe I'm a hip hop snob but nowt I've heard by acts that have emerged since 2000 that can hold a candle to  not just the big name acts like The Beastie Boys,  NWA, Ice Cube , Wu Tangs, Public Enemy etc but also to underrated ones like EPMD,  Naughty by Nature and Main Source. 

Not so keen on the Shadow track here but Entroducing and The Private Press are feckin excellent. Just in case non hip hop fans think rap is just about some MC rapping and turntablism check out two hip hpop bands that use real instruments e.g. The Roots (US) and The Herbaliser (UK)

Anyway I'll leave you with a track from a cracker of an album from the golden age of hip hop

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I don't care for most rap of the last 20 years simply because  it was done so much better in the 80s and 90s. Maybe I'm a hip hop snob but nowt I've heard by acts that have emerged since 2000 that can hold a candle to  not just the big name acts like The Beastie Boys,  NWA, Ice Cube , Wu Tangs, Public Enemy etc but also to underrated ones like EPMD,  Naughty by Nature and Main Source. 

Not so keen on the Shadow track here but Entroducing and The Private Press are feckin excellent. Just in case non hip hop fans think rap is just about some MC rapping and turntablism check out two hip hpop bands that use real instruments e.g. The Roots (US) and The Herbaliser (UK)

Anyway I'll leave you with a track from a cracker of an album from the golden age of hip hop

Great track that.

The list of underplayed goes on, Bragadocious rappers like Big L, Leaders of the New School where Busta Rhymes came out from, gritty Gated snares of Mobb Deep, Flows from Del tha funky homosapien, or Digable planets on a different vibe, Boogie Monsters were great on a laid back tip.

You have guys that sit in the pocket like Gangstarr and Common who have unbelievable voices.

Lets not forget our very own Roots Manuva

There is massive variety out there, but you are correct, mainly from the golden era

I like some hip hop. Usually the backing track has groove and the rhythm of the “rap” itself, particularly when it’s  slightly behind the beat. 
I’ve often thought about writing and recording something myself. But I’d want to do something relatable to my demographic. But would that be cultural appropriation?

But then again, who wants to hear some bloke in his 50’s spitting about prostate rectal examinations, losing his keys, forgetting why he entered a room and reoccurring back problems? 

“Make sure that finger is well gelled doc, thought I left my keys by the kitchen clock, what the foook did I come in here for? 

See? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I like some hip hop. Usually the backing track has groove and the rhythm of the “rap” itself, particularly when it’s  slightly behind the beat. 
I’ve often thought about writing and recording something myself. But I’d want to do something relatable to my demographic. But would that be cultural appropriation?

But then again, who wants to hear some bloke in his 50’s spitting about prostate rectal examinations, losing his keys, forgetting why he entered a room and reoccurring back problems? 

“Make sure that finger is well gelled doc, thought I left my keys by the kitchen clock, what the foook did I come in here for? 

See? 

It has potential for sure

Christmas number one.

Thumbs as well as a finger up from me

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

See? 

Must admit it is mainly the grooves and clever use of some amazing rsamples that is what I like most, however, sometimes the rap itself can transform a song - Empire State of Mind being a good example; when I hear the Alicia Keys solo version I'm always anticipating the different texture as it were of the rap.

Cultural appropriation - whole new thread (and I think it would get locked very quickly), but I do think the term should be cultural misappropriation.

• Like 2

• Mykesbass changed the title to The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).