Why become a member? ×

The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).

Mykesbass

29 minutes ago, mikel said:

Just an observation, but if the OP is so into Rap, and how good it is, why feel the need to defend it?  Its simply another music genre. We all have likes and dislikes, its what makes the world go round.

Well I guess because it is one of those genres that  comes in for a lot of bashing, especially from older classic rock fans, not necessarily here but in many other music forums  it does.. IMO on BC the general bias is towards classic rock while threads on funk, dance/electronica and rap are generally few and short lived.

On 01/12/2017 at 11:24, Mykesbass said:

Interesting, with the lyrics being in French (and therefore not understanding them) you get a really great illustration of the rhythmic qualities of the way they are delivered.

I was once informed that rap was particularly suited to the French language because “All the syllables are the same length”, this may be horse poo but the person who told me was heavily into French rap.

8 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I was once informed that rap was particularly suited to the French language because “All the syllables are the same length”, this may be horse poo but the person who told me was heavily into French rap.

It works well in French, much better than in UK English. I'm a big fan of classic 80s-90s US hip hop but IMO UK  rap/Grime sucks big time

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

...but IMO UK  rap/Grime sucks big time

I was going to point out that this was a huge generalisation but then I can’t think of one UK rap/grime artist that I like, it’s difficult enough to find any rap or hip hop free of racism or homophobia but then you could say that of life/society I suppose...

Edited by Frank Blank
Spelling correction

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Thread revival because of the love being shown on the Brits thread for Dave, and also because I've heard this stunner a few times recently.]

😂  Perhaps you should have added the phrase

'and only people that agree with me are allowed to post, or I'll get shirty'

😂

Personally I think rap tends to divide people along generational lines.

My parents can't stand it, they still seem to see it as some some of unmusical upstart fad that will eventually fade away to be replaced by 'real music'.

Where as for me growing up in the 80s, it's always been part of the mainstream and there have been rap/hip hop/whatever albums in my music collection since I was a child.

Edited by Cato

• Mykesbass changed the title to The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).