Why become a member? ×

The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).

Mykesbass

A lot of great hip hop out there. I used to be heavily into stuff like that. Now only listen couple of times a year maybe.

I haven't seen my favorite album mentioned yet... Next to Guru - Jazzmatazz, Vol. 1 - here it is:

This one dragged me out of lurking from across the pond.

Beastie Boys should be on the top of this list for versatility. Could easily do a semester class at uni for them alone.

Early 90s San Francisco / Oakland / Bay Area had a lot of really good stuff with the Hieroglyphics Crew: Casual, Del the Funky Homosapien, Souls of Mischief.

East vs West Gangsta era is pretty much Tupac vs Biggie Smalls (both did some amazing work). Nas' Illmatic is probably one of the best hip hop albums of all time.

From the dirty South, you have the likes of Outkast and Goodie Mobb (and by extension, Cee Lo Green)

The Fugees are seminal (Wyclef Jean, Lauren Hill).

Jay-Z, Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Black Sheep, Tribe Called Quest, Leaders of the New School, De La Soul, Wu Tang Clan

Eminem's song Rap God is nothing short of lyrical fireworks.

Lots more that I can't think of offhand. 

• Like 2

I can`t say I dislike rap as whole genre, as I haven`t heard it all, all I can say is that I pretty much dislike every bit of rap I`ve heard so far. Apart from the RUN DMC/Aerosmith version of Walk This Way that is, love that version.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BrianVengeance said:

This one dragged me out of lurking from across the pond.

Beastie Boys should be on the top of this list for versatility. Could easily do a semester class at uni for them alone.

Early 90s San Francisco / Oakland / Bay Area had a lot of really good stuff with the Hieroglyphics Crew: Casual, Del the Funky Homosapien, Souls of Mischief.

East vs West Gangsta era is pretty much Tupac vs Biggie Smalls (both did some amazing work). Nas' Illmatic is probably one of the best hip hop albums of all time.

From the dirty South, you have the likes of Outkast and Goodie Mobb (and by extension, Cee Lo Green)

The Fugees are seminal (Wyclef Jean, Lauren Hill).

Jay-Z, Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Black Sheep, Tribe Called Quest, Leaders of the New School, De La Soul, Wu Tang Clan

Eminem's song Rap God is nothing short of lyrical fireworks.

Lots more that I can't think of offhand. 

That's the second recommendation for Nas Illmatic - one I didn't know at all so will be checking, thanks. And glad to coax you out of your lurking!

46 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I can`t say I dislike rap as whole genre, as I haven`t heard it all, all I can say is that I pretty much dislike every bit of rap I`ve heard so far. Apart from the RUN DMC/Aerosmith version of Walk This Way that is, love that version.

+1 regarding Walk this Way, the only rap recording I actually like.

Edited by steantval

I loved Run DMC and the Beastie Boys. I saw them both at the Brum Odeon. What a show. I'm a big fan of the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy and DC Basehead.  When rap has something to say or a unique way of saying it, it's unbeatable.  When it's lazy and generic, it's unlistenable.  

Edited by rushbo

1 hour ago, rushbo said:

I loved Run DMC and the Beastie Boys. I saw them both at the Brum Odeon. What a show. I'm a big fan of the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy and DC Basehead.  When rap has something to say or a unique way of saying it, it's unbeatable.  When it's lazy and generic, it's unlistenable.  

Beastie Boys are there unsung heroes of hip hop IMO. When you have Miles Davis calling Paul’s Boutique one of the greatest albums of all times it’s worth a listen. 

Not sure what to make of all the mumble rap lately though. It definitely smacks of uninspired, but I also leveled the same criticism at most of the Bad Boys stuff (Puffy, Mase, etc).

Edited by BrianVengeance
  • Like 1

A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul are still churning out great intelligent music. Check out the recent "Thank you for your service... We got it from here" and "And the Anonymous Nobody" respectively,  seriously two of the best albums both groups have ever made.

• Like 1

I’m really fond of many artists. From my early 80’s school days friends sharing tapes of Grandmaster flash etc. I loved Dougie fresh, Beastie Boys. Those bands who mixed it up Urban clown Possie. 24/7 Spies. I lost faith jurying the gangster racially unaware period. In more recent years it’s has to be. 

i love there clean political approach

He just doesn’t fit the mold 

I've dabbled in rap-style genres over the years.  

Enjoyed some of the gangsta period in the 90's - NWA, onyx and so on.  Had a couple of cypress Hill albums, funkdoobiest, the goats and so on. 

The Judgement Night OST really got my interest. Collaborations between guitar based bands and rap artists.  I still think it's a great album.  Del the funky homosapian with Dinosaur Jr, teenage fan cub and de la soul, run dmc and living colour, Faith No More and boo yaa tribe...  Classic! 

This rocks! 

https://g.co/kgs/uycBwv

• Like 2