Why become a member? ×

The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).

Mykesbass

Deliberately a little provocative, but in a friendly, let's get a conversation going sort of way!

Probably one of the most derided forms of music, especially among musicians, I thought I'd try, with the help of the Basschat experts to put things right, and see if we can collectively compile a playlist that may change a few minds. I've always enjoyed the mellower side - Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Gang Starr etc. but heard this on 6 Music this morning and loved the energy and excitement.

Please feel free to add your favourites, with a view to converting a few naysayers! 

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1

Im not a fan of the rap genre or hip hop but there are some very talented rappers and hip hop artists I enjoy. Eminems talent as a rapper and lyrical genius is undeniable. Im a fan of Macklemore's too who has a great ability to rap but it's generally light-hearted and more paletable. D'angelo is another very talented hip-hop artist who is also a multi-instrumentalist and plays together with some very decent musos

perhaps the #1 irritant for me on music fora is people who come out with the '(c)rap ' type of comment probably thinking they're so witty>:(

I'm a huge fan of 80s  -early noughties hip hop and have around 100 CDs from that era ..Wu Tang, Public Enemy Tribe Called Quest,Run DMC, NWA, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, Ice T,  EPMD, Ultramagnetic MCs,  House of Pain,  Snopp,  Tupac,  Naughty by Nature, The Roots, Boge Down Productions, Eric B &  Rakim,  Cypress Hill,  Pharcyde,.

Couple of faves here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Good Stuff in this genre does, indeed, exist...

Interesting, with the lyrics being in French (and therefore not understanding them) you get a really great illustration of the rhythmic qualities of the way they are delivered.

23 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Interesting, with the lyrics being in French (and therefore not understanding them) you get a really great illustration of the rhythmic qualities of the way they are delivered.

A bit of a shame, as the lyrics are, in themselves, quite nifty, for the most part. Not all, of course, but there not complete dross. Still, there are other artists from other climes (Ghana, Italy, Portugal, USA...) that I have no clue as to the sense of their libretto, but I still find musically interesting, opera being a case in point

I always really liked Public Enemy and in particular Fear of the Black Planet and It takes a nation of Millions to hold us back.  I always thought Fight the Power was good and the obvious Bring the Noise and Dont believe the hype. 

NWA were always good and the first offerings from Ice Cube.  I lost interest soon after that.

I liked the De La Soul stuff plus Soul To Soul, but not sure if that's quite in the same genre.

The current crop I find very hard to understand, and if I can't discern the lyrics then it's a big turn off in any genre for me.

Personally I love rap and hip-hop. A source of brilliant basslines a lot of the time too.

Nas' Illmatic is probably the best example of thought-provoking lyrics, great instrumentals, tasteful samples (especially that Michael Jackson one, damn), and catchy hooks in the genre.

I'd highly recommend it as a gateway to those who aren't familiar with rap. It paints an incredible picture of 90's NYC.

Elzhi's cover of the entire album is also excellent. He re-recorded it with a jazz band (who are absolutely superb) and played around with the lyrics to make it contextually relevant to his life and Detroit (rather than Nas' life in NYC).

• Like 1

Ozomatli, whilst not strictly a hip-hop act, have some excellent 'rap' tunes with guests usually, their best is probably with Chali 2na:

Listener's first album is also great, very different from their recent stuff, much more hip-hop and less grunge-poetry as it is now (which is still great):

Jonwayne also writes some great stuff:

love rap

Anything Chuck D has done, Cypress Hills heavier metal moments (Skull & Bones Pt 2 especially, and Rise Up), and everything on an album called Loud Rocks - a mash of rappers with heavy metal bands, with special mentions for Wu Tang Clan's track with System of a Down

but the rappers I listen to the most are some Australians called the Hilltop Hoods, especially the State Of The Art and Drinking From the Sun albums, with a very honourable mention for the Hard Road Restrung - took the money to do a remix of their previous album and hired an orchestra: spectacularly good.  their last proper album was a bit so, so, but they've just done a Restrung version of that which isn't bad

• Mykesbass changed the title to The Rap Thread (new title for an old thread).