Why become a member? ×

Tribute Bands aren't taking anyone's gigs.....

Bilbo

Felixstowe Spa Pavilion. December 2017 to May 2018. 24 events. 15 of them are Tribute Bands. Elton John, Rat Pack, Soul Legends, Elvis, Carpenters, Pink/Winehouse/Gaga, Barry White, Four Seasons, Johnny Cash, Lionel Bart, Vintage Vixens (Girl Power), Bob Marley, George Michael, The Drifters and The Bee Gees.

The rest includes 80s Mania, Aladdin, Kenny Lynch, Chubby Brown, the Circus of Horrors, G4, The Good Old Days, The Wizard of Oz and a hypnotist. All that is missing is a Medium. I know. It's only rock and roll but I like it.

I hear that the Medium was cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.

Unfortunately, or not depending on your perspective, this is what puts paying bums on seats in Felixstowe, and similar sized venues in similar places such as Clacton West Cliff Theatre. The Spa Pavilion tried the alternative, went bust and on balance I'd rather have the venue survive on a diet of mostly tribute bands, panto and the occasional more interesting event than see it going back to being closed altogether.

This is an 800 seat venue. To sell that out for a jazz gig you'd need to be offering something very spectacular, especially in Felixstowe which is not exactly the easiest place on the planet to get to..

What we really need in this region is a venue like the awesome Apex Theatre in Bury St Edmunds, which is exactly the right size and vibe to attract all kinds of brilliant events, but we're struggling with the local alternatives.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, leschirons said:

Isn't his real name Royston Vasey?

Fun Fact. Chubby Brown's cousin Lee is an insanely good guitar player. Chubby Brown was his first drummer. He lives in Norwich (my old hometown) and has run bands there for about 30 years.

Edited by radiophonic

1 hour ago, radiophonic said:

Fun Fact. Chubby Brown's cousin Lee is an insanely good guitar player. Chubby Brown was his first drummer. He lives in Norwich (my old hometown) and has run bands there for about 30 years.

Yeah, well aware of Lee Vasey as we've spent a lot of time in Norfolk.  Didn't know he was a cousin though.